PRESS RELEASE - EFFECTIVE STRATEGIES FOR CLIMATE ACTION teach-in - Mon Jan 27, Santa Rosa, CA

Emerald

Jan 16, 2020, 9:00:43 AM1/16/20
to Earth Action Campaign
PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
From Occupy Sonoma County
Santa Rosa, CA
January 16, 2020

Occupy Sonoma County presents
Effective Strategies For Climate Action: What’s working and why?
Monday, January 27, 7 PM
Teach-in with presenter Daniel Solnit, union organizer, campaign strategist, and social change activist with 40 years of experience
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Free with donations welcome, Free seed exchange

Graphic images are available on our website.

###
Occupy Sonoma County presents

Effective Strategies For Climate Action: What’s working and why?
Monday, January 27, 7 PM

Human-caused climate change is a scientific fact and its predicted devastating consequences are already a reality. People are in the streets challenging governments to act and to act now! To act without planning assures failure. To be successful at fighting for our lives we need strategies, several of them. “We are all called on to wake up about climate change! California fires here in Sonoma County have brought this home and this is just the beginning. It’s much too late for polite discussions on the realities of climate change. Immediate action is required to address this emergency,” says Rebel Fagin, Occupy activist. The world’s leading climate scientists have warned that if global warming is capped to a maximum of 1.5C in the next 10 years, even half a degree will significantly worsen the risks of drought, floods, extreme heat and poverty for hundreds of millions of people. Last November a statement of climate emergency was signed by 11,000 scientists who have been making announcements for many years attempting to alert us to the urgency of climate change. The warnings from the scientific community have convinced a majority of people in the U.S.: 69% of us think that action needs to be taken within the next few years to address climate change, and polling shows that 67% of us think that humans can do something to stop or slow it. Unfortunately, with the recent failure of COP25 and the US withdrawal from the Paris Agreement, it is clear that we cannot rely on federal governments to act swiftly enough to address the warnings issued by the United Nations committees. To learn which strategies and tactics being employed by individuals, environmental groups and mass movement organizers are the most effective at addressing our urgent global warming crisis, please attend Occupy Sonoma County’s Monday, January 27 teach-in, “Effective Strategies For Climate Action: What’s working and why?.” This free event will begin at 7 pm at the Peace & Justice Center at 467 Sebastopol Avenue in Santa Rosa and will be presented by union organizer and campaign strategist Daniel Solnit. These strategies can be applied to a number of issues. To learn more go to OccupySonomaCounty.org, find us on Facebook or call (707) 877-6650.
###

Contact: Occupy Sonoma County
707-877-6650

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es (en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty
https://twitter.com/OcSoCo
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.

Rebel Fagin

Jan 17, 2020, 9:41:58 PM1/17/20
to Rebel Fagin
--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---