PRESS RELEASE From OCCUPY SONOMA COUNTY - Plastic Free July

Emerald

Jun 28, 2018, 10:06:00 AM6/28/18
to o...@occupysonomacounty.org
Occupy Sonoma County

PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
From Occupy Sonoma County

​Santa Rosa, California​

Contact: Peter Ochs
707-877-6650
OSCE...@OccupySonomaCounty.org
(Please do not publish this name or email address.)​

Graphic images are available on request.

###

Plastic Free July

Occupy Sonoma County is participating in Plastic Free July. Plastic Free July started in Australia in 2011 with less than 40 participants and has grown into a global movement to address the mounting concern of plastic pollution. More than 1 million people in 159 countries worldwide accepted the challenge in 2017.

Scientists estimate that by 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in the world's oceans. The plastic bottles, bags and takeout containers that are used once and then discarded are made with a material that is designed to last forever. Adopting reusable shopping bags, regularly utilizing reusable coffee cups and water bottles, refusing plastic utensils, and avoiding pre-packaged fruits and vegetables can make a difference. These habits avoid putting plastic in the landfill, reduce fossil fuel consumption, and protect the oceans.​

Occupy Sonoma County urges everyone to join at PlasticFreeJuly.org where participants are counted and receive information on how to reduce plastic consumption.

Participation can range from choosing to refuse a handful of items for a single day, refusing all plastic for the entire month, or anything in between.

Say no to plastic straws!  We ask that everyone make a habit of saying, “No straw, please” when ordering a beverage at a bar or restaurant. Plastic straws are often given automatically and are a serious threat to the environment. We ask that clubs and restaurants switch to paper straws or consider switching to glass or stainless steel straws.

Every bit of plastic ever made still exists. Plastics break into smaller and smaller pieces that do not decompose becoming permanent pollution which is toxic to fish, wildlife and the environment. Now that China has decided not to accept US plastic for recycling, even plastic bottles with a deposit are piling up with nowhere to go.

Occupy Sonoma County has a weekly newsletter that includes information about plastic problems and solutions in every issue. Our website has a checklist and information on how to join our campaign. Our Earth Action Campaign meets every 3rd Monday from 7-9 PM at the Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave, Santa Rosa.

For more information contact OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

###

Contact: Peter Ochs at 707-877-6650 or OSCE...@OccupySonomaCounty.org to arrange an interview. (Please do not publish this name or email address.)​

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org
(en español)

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.