Fwd: February 22: Local Coastal Plan Topic Workshop - Pesticide Regulation

Emerald

Feb 13, 2021, 10:10:46 AM2/13/21
to Earth Action Campaign, SoCoCAN!

LCP LOGO

Permit Sonoma invites you to attend and provide input at an upcoming topic workshop focusing on pesticide regulation in the Coastal Zone. This workshop is the first in a series of topic-specific workshops on subjects that were raised during the Local Coastal Plan Update workshops held last year.

The LCP pesticide workshop will provide an overview of California and Federal pesticide regulations, outline challenges associated using the Local Coastal Plan to regulate pesticides, and provide examples of successful policies used in other Local Coastal Programs. Local Coastal Plan policy options for pesticide regulation will be presented, followed by a question and answer session and an opportunity for stakeholders to provide comments and recommendations.

The Workshop will be held on Monday February 22, from 6 pm to 7 pm. In accordance with Executive Orders N-33-20 and N-29-20, will be conducted via videoconference or teleconference only.

  • Zoom Webinar:   Join Meeting
  • Telephone:         (669) 900-9128
  • Webinar ID:       985 9800 0501
  • Password:          638132

If you are experiencing with with the meeting link above, please check this link for meeting updates: LCP Update Information. Use the call in number if you are unable to connect over the Internet.

Future LCP Topic Workshops

  • Wednesday February 24:  Vacation Rentals
  • Friday February 26:         Climate Change Adaptation
  • Monday March 1:             Housing
  • Wednesday March 3:        Wildfire and Emergency Services
  • Friday March 5:               ESHA Mapping and Natural Resources

If you would like more information or if you are unable to attend the workshops and would like to provide comments or recommendations, please contact Gary Helfrich:

Email: PRMD-LC...@sonoma-county.org

Phone: 707-565-2404

Stay Involved!

We want to hear from everyone! Please encourage anyone you know that is interested in participating to subscribe to the LCP email list at: LCP Email List.

Sonoma County Permit and Resource Management Department
www.PermitSonoma.org

GovDelivery logo

creek shade

Feb 13, 2021, 2:04:49 PM2/13/21
to Emerald, Earth Action Campaign, SoCoCAN!

I have a quick question about pesticide regs in Sonoma County and beyond. If organic farmers stop using pesticides on their crops, is that also a guarantee they will stop using rodenticides – i.e., will they be allowed to place rodenticides along the edges of their farms and continue to call themselves organic?

Rodenticides are killing non-target animals all over the state. Non-target animals are foxes, fishers, owls, hawks, and other predators. They may die from consuming a poisoned rodent or from consuming the rodenticide directly - often they do not touch the crops. Some of the rodenticides of concern are the anticoagulant pesticide diphacinone (Ditrac Bait, Wilco Bait,  P.C.Q. Pelleted Bait, and Kaput – used to control Ground Squirrels and other rodents) – but there are other phosphide based rodenticides (e.g. zinc phosphide) that are bad.

Dept. fish and wildlife has done extensive analyses of the cause of death to animals – signs of anticoagulant exposure have been documented widely (anticoagulant-related mortality is visible).

Can someone who is attending this session please check if farmers still qualify as organic if they place rodenticides at the edges of their crops?

Thanks

Maya

Larry Hanson

Feb 13, 2021, 8:56:34 PM2/13/21
to creek shade, Emerald, Earth Action Campaign, SoCoCAN!
Maya,

Pesticide use is an important issue that escapes most critiques. It is an invisible poison that is weakly regulated. There are specific and cumulative impacts to the wide range and wide use of these poisons. The poisoning of the food chain is, of course, one of the localized impacts. Did you mean to say organic farmers who don’t use any of the pesticides/herbicides/rodenticides that I know of. But I could be wrong about the latter one if a farmer chooses to use it around the edges thinking it is not in the main. People from CAFF who might be on your list are probably qualified to answer this. If not, I can ask people I know.

Larry

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

Janus MATTHES

Feb 14, 2021, 5:02:24 PM2/14/21
to creek shade, Emerald, Earth Action Campaign, SoCoCAN!
Creek Shade & Emerald, there is a broad umbrella on definitions of pesticides: rodenticides, herbicides, spectracides, mitricides and more. (Fish and Wildlife is trying to drop tons of rodenticides on the Farallon Islands this fall). This is going through the state. CCOF does not allow rodenticides so I'd be careful. The state has banned rodenticides in some forms already with total bans in some counties now. I'd check with them to see, doubtful. Owl boxes work very well if placed correctly (Wild Wing best company). Owls eat thousands of mice and critters every month.

If you are concerned about pesticides be sure and have your members attend the County's Local Coastal Plan Workshop Feb. 18th that will be discussing the pesticide issue on our fragile coast.

We have a group that have been working for over a year on trying to fix the problems the county has not addressed. Example: climate change hardly acknowledged, Endangered and Threatened species areas were entirely eliminate except for one downsized area.  Several counties in the coastal zones have greatly curbed vacation rentals for more local housing (social justice issue as locals are moving away along with their children, County says 1,700 last year), pesticides have been totally eliminated in a few southern counties and vineyards banned in 2 other counties as the judges have ruled environmental destruction caused by vineyards should never be allowed on fragile coastal soils.

This will be a 20 year plan so we can't let the real estate and wine industry write these rules. Please plan on comments and participation. Thanks,
Janus Wine & Water Watch.

In case you didn't see this...

Future LCP Topic Workshops

  • Wednesday February 24:  Vacation Rentals
  • Friday February 26:         Climate Change Adaptation
  • Monday March 1:             Housing
  • Wednesday March 3:        Wildfire and Emergency Services
  • Friday March 5:               ESHA Mapping and Natural Resources

Walter Alter

Feb 14, 2021, 9:34:29 PM2/14/21
to Earth Action Campaign, SoCoCAN!
Maybe if you "radicals" substituted the words "working conditions" for the word "environment", you would actually resemble something like a revolution.

www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

Walter Alter
Artist - Heretic - Savant
http://walteralter.com