Fri May 18th@ 7 pm Daniel Ziblatt, co-author of How Democracies Die at Occidental Center for the Arts

Emerald

May 14, 2018, 3:51:50 AM5/14/18
to osc_eart...@googlegroups.com
Occidental Center for the Arts presents

‘An Evening with Daniel Ziblatt’

Harvard Professor of Government
 and co-author of  How Democracies Die

Friday, May 18, 2018 at 7 PM

Occidental Center for the Arts (OCA) proudly presents Daniel Ziblatt, Harvard Professor of Government, Occidental native and co-author of international bestseller, How Democracies Die. The event will take place on May 18, 2018 from 7 - 9 PM in the OCA auditorium at 850 Doris Murphy Court, Occidental, CA.  The Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, will host him on Wed, May 16th.

In their latest book, Ziblatt and co-author Steven Levitsky offer a bracing, revelatory look at the demise of liberal democracies around the world—and a road map for rescuing our own. “Many Americans are justifiably frightened by what is happening to our country. But protecting our democracy requires more than just fright or outrage. We must learn from other countries to see the warning signs--and recognize the false alarms. We must be aware of the fateful missteps that have wrecked other democracies. And we must see how citizens have risen to meet the great democratic crises of the past, overcoming their own deep-seated divisions to avert breakdown. History doesn’t repeat itself. But it rhymes. The promise of history, and the hope of this book, is that we can find the rhymes before it is too late.”

Ziblatt returns to his hometown for a talk about this historical perspective on democracy. Q&A will follow, with book sales and signing.

Admission $5.00; no one will be turned away for lack of funds.

For advanced sales: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3393810.

Reception with wine, beer, and refreshments.

For more information:

www.occidentalcenterforthearts.org

Contact:

Suze Pringle-Cohan, Book Launch Coordinator

Occidental Center for the Arts

707-483-4958
cohan...@yahoo.com

Additi​onal references:

Bios/Contact/Related web-site:

https://ces.fas.harvard.edu/people/000065-daniel-ziblatt

Daniel Ziblatt is Professor of Government at Harvard, specializing in the study of European politics, state-building, democratization and historical political economy. His books include Structuring the State: The Formation of Italy and Germany and the Puzzle of Federalism(2006) which draws lessons from nineteenth century experiences of state-building in Italy and Germany. His second book Conservative Parties and the Birth of Democracy (2017) offers a new interpretation of the historical democratization of Europe, drawing lessons for new and old democracies under siege today. His latest book, How Democracies Die is forthcoming in January 2018.

Affiliations

·       Professor of Government, Harvard University

·       Resident Faculty, CES, Harvard University

·       Faculty Associate, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs

·       Faculty Associate, Institute of Quantitative Social Science

Books

·       Ziblatt, Daniel and Levitsky, Steven. How Democracies Die. (forthcoming, January 2018)

·       Ziblatt, Daniel. Conservative Parties and the Birth of Democracy (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2017).

·       Ziblatt, Daniel. Structuring the State: the Formation of Italy and Germany and the Puzzle of Federalism (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2006).