EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - January 4, 2018

1 view

Emerald

Jan 4, 2018, 6:28:23 AM1/4/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County
EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.  Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Ghanaian Small Farmers Slam GMO Product Dumping in Africa
https://sustainablepulse.com/2017/12/29/ghanaian-small-farmers-slam-gmo-product-dumping-in-africa/#.WkyswTHLdlQ

2) With Science Under Siege in 2017, Scientists Regrouped and Fought Back: 5 Essential Reads
https://www.ecowatch.com/science-under-siege-2520512745.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=ba722d7e94-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-ba722d7e94-86095421

3) A Year of Resistance—and Why I’m Hopeful for 2018
https://www.ecowatch.com/a-year-of-resistance-2520067249.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6314a2b458-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6314a2b458-86095421

4) Countdown: The Top Five Climate Videos of 2017 (videos)
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-videos-2017-2520474569.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6314a2b458-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6314a2b458-86095421

5) 50 Ways 100% Clean Energy Won In 2017
https://www.ecowatch.com/clean-energy-won-2017-2520127461.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=6314a2b458-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-6314a2b458-86095421
WOW!

6) Tesla's Massive Australian Battery Responds to Coal Power Outages in Milliseconds

https://www.ecowatch.com/tesla-australia-battery-2520491667.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2ddc89a3c9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2ddc89a3c9-86095421

7) Enbridge Dealt New Setback After Judge Pushes Back Decision on Line 3 Pipeline
https://www.ecowatch.com/enbridge-line-3-minnesota-2520471632.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2ddc89a3c9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2ddc89a3c9-86095421
"Environmentalists are cheering after an administrative law judge delayed approval of Enbridge Energy's controversial Line 3 replacement pipeline in northern Minnesota."

8) Will Cheap Renewables Make Nuclear Power Obsolete?
https://www.ecowatch.com/renewable-energy-nuclear-power-2520684364.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2ddc89a3c9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2ddc89a3c9-86095421

9) Asbestos-Laced Makeup: Children’s Products Continue to Be Contaminated With Deadly Fiber
https://www.ecowatch.com/asbestos-childrens-exposure-2520703519.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2b2e8d41e0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2b2e8d41e0-86095421
This is wrong for so many reasons!

10) 'World's First Solar Highway' Opens in China for Testing
https://www.ecowatch.com/china-solar-highway-2520728544.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2b2e8d41e0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2b2e8d41e0-86095421

11) The 150-Mile Wardrobe: A Solution for One of the World’s Most Polluting Industries
https://www.ecowatch.com/fibershed-2519183494.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=001de29850-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-001de29850-86095421

YES! Magazine: "About 104 farmers, ranchers, weavers, spinners and designers across 19 counties make up a garment-producing system where every producer uses materials sourced within a 150-mile radius: A shop in Oakland buys marigolds from a farm in Chico to dye yarn shorn from sheep in Sonoma and weaves it into sweaters sold in San Francisco."

12) What Will It Really Take to Avoid Collapse?
https://www.ecowatch.com/avoid-collapse-2520093367.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=001de29850-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-001de29850-86095421
"We'll be better equipped to join in the struggle to save humanity—and the rest of the Earth—from the plundering envisaged by the perpetual growth frenzy of global corporate capitalism."

13) Yale University Study Shows Association Between Vaccines and Brain Disorders
https://www.ecowatch.com/yale-vaccine-study-kennedy-2246059411.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=07b9810176-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-07b9810176-86095421
Robert F. Kennedy Jr.: "A team of researchers from the Yale School of Medicine and Penn State College of Medicine have found a disturbing association between the timing of vaccines and the onset of certain brain disorders in a subset of children."

14) This Start-Up Has Figured Out How to Turn Diesel Pollution Into Art
https://www.ecowatch.com/graviky-labs-2518950550.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f4d9de31ff-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f4d9de31ff-86095421
onEarth: "Graviky Labs, an India-based start-up that emerged from the MIT Media Lab, is taking a lemons-to-lemonade approach to soot. The company transforms the deadly particulate matter into art supplies."

15) 10 Ways to Be a Better Environmental Steward in 2018
https://www.ecowatch.com/environmental-stewardship-examples-2520328397.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f4d9de31ff-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f4d9de31ff-86095421
How do you rate yourself? I give myself a 9. I am still reliant on my car but I may be joining a collective where my fuel-efficient car will be shared.

16) [Act Out! 140] - Media Truth in a Post-Truth World; Dirty Mines on Your Dime, Pipelines & More (video)
https://youtu.be/c0-IRpHylkE
Act Out!: "Here's the explosive reality of the natural gas pipelines criss crossing our nation. Next up, mining companies have been given a greenlight to pollute on your dime and the profession with the highest suicide rates in the country will surprise you. Finally, Mickey Huff from Project Censored joins us to talk about corporate media, truth in a post-truth era and stories you didn't know you didn't know." Caution: May contain adult language.

17) Chemicals in America Are Woefully Unregulated
https://www.alternet.org/books/theres-shocking-lack-rigorous-testing-and-regulation-chemicals-united-states?akid=16560.138978.FWoI1P&rd=1&src=newsletter1087083&t=19
AlterNet: "Studies on chemical toxicities that are done in animals are almost exclusively done by the industries that produce and sell them, raising questions about bias and validity that are seldom heard at any of these regulatory agencies."

18) GMO Seralini: Roundup Causes Major Changes in Gut Microbiome of Rats
https://www.gmoseralini.org/roundup-causes-major-changes-in-gut-microbiome-of-rats/
FULL REPORT: https://www.gmoseralini.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Lozano-et-al.-Tox.Rep_.2017.pdf
GMO Seralini: "Breaking New Study: Roundup Causes Major Changes in Gut Microbiome of Rats."

19) Germany Sets New Renewable Energy Record
https://www.ecowatch.com/renewable-energy-germany-2520322211.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=f4d9de31ff-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-f4d9de31ff-86095421
"Germany has broken another renewable energy record, with clean power providing a third of of the country's electricity in 2017."

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

Take Action - Get Involved!

Mark Z. Jacobson speaking on Transitioning Countries, States, and Cities to 100% Renewable Energy For All Purposes As Soon As Possible!
Thursday, January 4, 7 PM
Praxis Peace Project, $20 ($50 with reception) at Vintage House, Sonoma
Tickets online at www.praxispeace.org/events or contact in...@praxispeace.org, 707-939-2973

Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock Meeting
Saturday, January 13, 2-5 PM

2nd Saturday of each month:
2-3:30 pm Divestment & Public Banking
3:30-5 pm Main Meeting
Peace & Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more info: www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/, Email sonoma.solidarity@gmail.com

Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting

Monday, January 15, 7-9 PM
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.

For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

Sonoma County Climate Change Activists Meeting
Monday,  January 28​, 7-9 PM, Peace & Justice Center
Climate change groups and individuals working together to coordinate efforts and make action plans.
At the last meeting we all agreed to support the 350 Sonoma Green Rebuild Campaign.  We encourage you to get involved.  Contact http://350SonomaCounty.org or 350Sono...@gmail.com to endorse their proposal and support their work.

Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com.  Be sure to read and endorse their new resolution.

Volunteer Opportunities

• Shopper's Guide Research

We are updating our shopper's guide. If you use a product that is not in our shopper's guide you can help research it or send us the name for us to scrutinize. We are expanding to include more categories. What pet foods do you buy?
• Adopt-A-Bulletin Board

What locations do you already go to that have bulletin boards?  Where can you easily go to in your own neighborhood to help us publicize teach-ins and events?  Download our latest flyer from our website and let us know where you are posting.  We especially need help covering Petaluma, Cotati and Rohnert Park.

• Graphic Artist Needed For Converting Our New Logo To Vector Art

We have a logo design that is 8-10".  We would like to be able to scale it up to 3-4'.

• Video editing help is always needed - even one hour would help

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up.

Can you help us upload some video clips to our Youtube page?

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)
http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing county-wide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.