EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS - June 8, 2018 (World Oceans Day)

Emerald

Jun 8, 2018, 9:01:54 AM6/8/18
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Occupy Sonoma County

EARTH ACTION IN THE NEWS

Welcome to the people who have joined recently.  This is a simple weekly newsletter.  Your participation is encouraged.  Please share information and actions about climate change, climate justice, GMOs, toxic chemicals, and Earth-related topics.
If you wish to reduce email volume switch your membership to the digest or abridged version.
Please refrain from posting petitions or donation requests without OSC approval.  Thank you for joining us.

Go to our Facebook and Twitter pages to share these articles already posted there.

If you are uncomfortable clicking on links in an email you can cut and paste the link into your browser.

1) Slowly but steadily, the travel industry cuts its ties to disposable plastics​
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/slowly-but-steadily-the-travel-industry-cuts-its-ties-to-disposable-plastics/2018/05
AND
International Olympic Committee Makes 'Biggest Commitment Ever' to Fight Plastic Pollution
https://www.ecowatch.com/olympics-plastic-pollution-2575376546.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2a08744e13-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2a08744e13-86095421
"The International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced plans to eradicate single-use plastics from the organization and its events around the world."

2) Farmers Switched to Organic After Pesticides Made Them or Their Families Sick
https://www.ecowatch.com/farmers-switch-to-organic-2573920893.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0ebf4df1f0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0ebf4df1f0-86095421
AND
Monsanto Halts Plan for Bt Soybeans in US

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/news/crops/article/2018/05/09/monsanto-halts-plan-bt-soybeans-us
"We found that there was a lack of product demand from our growers in the region," Monsanto spokesperson Kyel Richard said in an email. "...Therefore at this time we do not intend to launch this particular technology in the U.S."

3) How Climate Change Ignites Wildfires From California to South Africa
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-wildfires-2573967514.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0f8f7b3ffa-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0f8f7b3ffa-86095421
"The link between climate change and more frequent, severe wildfires is well-known, but two new studies published in Geophysical Research Letters this month provided more insight into exactly how warming temperatures are increasing fire risk around the world... The California study was published May 24 and reported by Columbia University in Phys.org Wednesday."

4) Climate Change Damage in China Could Harm U.S. Economy, Study Finds
https://www.ecowatch.com/global-climate-change-economies-2573570033.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0f8f7b3ffa-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0f8f7b3ffa-86095421

5) Mudslide Pushes Landowners to Sue Mountain Valley Pipeline
https://www.ecowatch.com/mountain-valley-pipeline-mudslide-2573935524.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0f8f7b3ffa-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0f8f7b3ffa-86095421
"Heavy rains May 15 caused a mudslide to override construction barriers at the pipeline work site on May 18 and block Cahas Mountain Road with 8 inches of mud. The landowners claim the runoff from the mudslide entered their properties and damaged streams. The suit says the company showed a "startling disregard" for the impacts of construction and asked the judge to stop work on the pipeline."

6) Groups Sue Utility Company for Leaking Coal Ash Into National Scenic River
https://www.ecowatch.com/coal-ash-river-illinois-2573918063.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0f8f7b3ffa-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0f8f7b3ffa-86095421
Climate Nexus: "Illinois environmental groups filed a lawsuit Wednesday alleging that a utility company is violating the Clean Water Act by letting coal ash leak into a protected river. The groups allege that Texas-based Dynegy Inc. is tempting a dangerous spill by not dealing with unlined pits of coal ash at the shuttered Vermilion Power Station, which sits along a tributary of the Vermilion River."

7) Asheville Declares First Ever 'City-Proclaimed' Vegan Challenge in U.S.
https://www.ecowatch.com/asheville-vegan-challenge-2573932074.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0f8f7b3ffa-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0f8f7b3ffa-86095421
"The famously artsy and progressive city of Asheville, North Carolina declared the week of June 4-10 as the nation's first "city-proclaimed" seven-day vegan challenge."

8) Electric Vehicle Sales More Than Doubled in 2017
https://www.ecowatch.com/electric-vehicle-sales-2573683410.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=594b43fac3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-594b43fac3-86095421
AND
India Announces 'Game-Changing' Single-Use Plastics Ban

https://www.ecowatch.com/india-plastics-ban-2575628410.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2a08744e13-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2a08744e13-86095421
"India turned their hosting of this year's World Environment Day into far more than a symbolic act when it announced plans Tuesday to eliminate all single-use plastics by 2022, UN Environment reported."

10) Indigenous Activist: Trudeau’s Purchase of Kinder Morgan Pipeline Is “Huge Step Backward” for Canada (video)
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/5/31/indigenous_rights_activist_purchase_of_kinder
AND
TransCanada Pipeline Explodes in West Virginia

https://www.ecowatch.com/transcanada-pipeline-explodes-west-virginia-2576042392.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=7f208e746b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-7f208e746b-86095421
"A newly installed TransCanada natural gas pipeline exploded early Thursday in the remote Nixon Ridge area of Marshall County in West Virginia... flames and smoke from the blast could be seen as far as 20 miles away, residents told local media. Area police told CBS News the fire was "very large."
Obama did this too and Clinton would have also.  It's not a "Republican thing" it's a "Capitalist thing".

14) A Fishing Town in India Is Building a Road to a Plastic-Free Ocean
https://www.ecowatch.com/fishermen-kerala-india-plastic-pollution-2573989533.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=0ebf4df1f0-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-0ebf4df1f0-86095421
AND
AND
World Oceans Day Is June 8: Here’s How You Can Make a Difference

https://www.ecowatch.com/world-oceans-day-make-a-difference-2575124896.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=2a08744e13-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-2a08744e13-86095421
"Mahatma Gandhi famously said, "If the people lead, the leaders will follow." So, on June 8th, let us all be reminded of our responsibility as ocean advocates to protect this incredible resource for now and the future."

15) Bayer to Drop Monsanto Name After $63 Billion Takeover
https://www.ecowatch.com/bayer-monsanto-merger-2575082668.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=cdbba35763-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-cdbba35763-86095421
"Fortune pointed out that name-changes during acquisitions is unusual, especially when a company is very recognizable. However, as one of the world's most hated companies, ditching Monsanto's name was not only expected, it was likely Bayer's best way forward."

16) Video: How Beef Farmers Can Reduce Their Carbon Footprint
https://www.ecowatch.com/beef-climate-change-2575103637.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=281fe5bf99-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-281fe5bf99-86095421
Carbon Brief: "At the end of the day, high (meat) consuming individuals and countries need to be cutting back on the amount of meat that they consume."

17) Climate Change May Be Slowing Hurricanes, Leading to More Flood-Heavy Storms Like Harvey
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-change-slower-hurricanes-2575926544.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=281fe5bf99-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-281fe5bf99-86095421

18) Air Pollution Linked to Genetic Changes in the Brain
https://www.ecowatch.com/air-pollution-brain-genes-2575718301.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=7f208e746b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-7f208e746b-86095421
Sierra Club: ""We thought that nature protected the brain through the blood brain barrier, but now we see that no, air pollution affects even isolated and protected organs such as the brain."

19) Scientists Develop Affordable Way to Recycle CO2 Into Fuel
https://www.ecowatch.com/carbon-capture-technology-canada-2576234738.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=7f208e746b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-7f208e746b-86095421
Common Dreams: "Chanting, "Wells, Chase, B of A, public bank's a better way!" social justice groups rallied at the New York Stock Exchange on Tuesday to demand that New York City divest from Wall Street banks and establish a public bank that is "expressly chartered to serve the public interest."

21) Climate Justice Protestors Arrested Nationwide
https://www.ecowatch.com/climate-justice-poor-peoples-campaign-2575672207.html?utm_source=EcoWatch+List&utm_campaign=281fe5bf99-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_49c7d43dc9-281fe5bf99-86095421
Climate Nexus: "Dozens of activists with the Poor People's Campaign were arrested and hundreds more blocked from entering government buildings across the country Monday during more than 30 nationwide protests at state capitols. Many of the protests focused in the government's lack of response during disasters like Hurricane Maria and the Flint water crisis and the disproportionate impact of climate change and pollution on the nation's poor. The campaign reports that thousands have been arrested since the 40 Days of Moral Action movement, which began in mid-May and will culminate in a march on Washington, DC on June 23."

Call To Action!
We urge all groups including schools, neighborhood associations, organizations, clubs and groups of any kind to adopt a Climate Declaration.  Adopt ours or write your own.  Share your Climate Declaration with local governments, the media, write articles, and share information.
Occupy Sonoma County Climate Declaration

Occupy Sonoma County, along with concerned, forward thinking people all over the world, declares that climate change has reached catastrophic proportions as evidenced by the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere, the melting of polar ice caps, and the continual rising of global temperatures.  This is a global emergency, and we must act immediately.​  We invite all forces of life to join together for our survival.  We stand up for life.

We recognize that the root of climate change is a capitalist system run by money greedy corporations and the governments that they control.  We actively oppose greenhouse gas producers, nuclear power investors, and fossil fuel companies by boycotting their products, developing alternatives, divesting from corporations that endorse them and insisting that governments at all levels take action.  We call on all governments and corporations to adopt life-sustaining practices immediately.

The people must act now to stop this destruction from continuing and reverse the damage this has caused​.  The future is in our hands.  We are the 99%!

Take Action - Get Involved!

Community Resilience Challenge
annual community mobilization campaign to take action to save water, grow food, conserve energy, reduce waste and build community

REGISTER: communityresiliencechallenge.org
Celebration Party Friday, June 8th, 6-9 PM at Sebastopol Grange
Potluck, music and raffle
National campaign with Daily Acts as local sponsor

Saturday, June 9, 3-5 PM
Sonoma Solidarity with Standing Rock Meeting
3:00-5:00 Main Meeting (no public banking meeting)
Peace & Justice Center - 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
For more info: www.facebook.com/SonomaNoDAPL/, Email sonoma.s...@gmail.com
Look for Public Bank Santa Rosa on Facebook or email them at in...@publicbanksantarosa.com.  Be sure to read and endorse their new resolution.

Monday, June 18, 7-9 PM
Attend our next Earth Action Campaign meeting
Peace & Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
This campaign meets monthly on the 3rd Mondays. Meet in person or call in from home.
For more information go to http://OccupySonomaCounty.org or call 707-877-6650.

June 20 - Can Soil Save the Climate?
Cavanaugh Recreation Center, Petaluma
A talk by Jeffrey Creque, Co-founder, the Marin Carbon Project, a group of independent agricultural institutions seeeking to enhance carbon capture and storage in soil.
Sonoma County Conservation Council: sc...@sonic.net

Wednesday, June 20, 7pm
350 Sonoma

General Meeting with 350 Petaluma and Jeff Creque, Director of Carbon Cycle Institute talking about carbon farming
Ongoing subgroups, Regenerative Agriculture, Zero Waste, Legislative Action.
For more info go to​ Facebook350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sono...@gmail.com

June 23
SCCA Gala and Ernestine Smith award presentation, Friedman Center, Santa Rosa
http://www.conservationaction.org/gala2018/.
Sonoma County Conservation Council: sc...@sonic.net

June 24 – Laguna Foundation “Wings & Wetlands” event
http://www.lagunadesantarosa.org/benefit.html.
Sonoma County Conservation Council: sc...@sonic.net

Community Seed Exchange
Sat. 30 (the last Saturday every month)
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 500 Robinson Rd., Sebastopol
For more info: communitys...@gmail.com
9-10:30 Optional Work Party
11-12 Free Workshop
9-12 Seed Library

Saturday, July 14
Healdsburg River Palooza at Veteran's Memorial Beach
B-Rad Foundation, Russian Riverkeeper, & Clean River Alliance
For more information contact rrke...@sonic.net or Sign up here.

Sunday, July 15 4-7 PM - Annual Summer Gathering with the Sierra Club Sonoma Group
Potluck Picnic at the Shady Oaks picnic site, Spring Lake Park; bring food/drink to share.
Contact 544-4582 or sc...@sonic.net.

Wednesday, July 18, 7pm
350 Sonoma

Summer social with a Zero Waste potluck
For more info go to​ Facebook350 Sonoma or webpage 350sonoma.org. Email 350Sono...@gmail.com

Monday, July 30
Sonoma County Climate Activist Network (SoCoCAN!), 7-9 PM

Peace and Justice Center, 467 Sebastopol Ave., Santa Rosa
Climate activist groups and individuals working together to address and reverse climate change. We meet on months with a 5th Monday. 2018 Next Meetings: July 30, Oct. 29.
Please submit campaign proposals in advance to the SoCoCAN listserv.
For more info: (707) 595-0320 or SonomaC...@gmail.com (email preferred). Join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SonomaCountyCAN/.

Volunteer Opportunities

• Event Tabling

There are several outdoor events where we will have our booth.  Help us set up and take down our booth and enjoy the event or stay with us to share information and answer questions with the public.

• Video editing help is always needed - even one hour would help

We are behind in our video projects and could use some help in getting caught up. Our teach-in videos provide an ongoing opportunity to share important information with the public.  Go to our Youtube page to see some of our videos.

• Set up help is needed prior to our teach-ins

Help with taking down tables, setting up chairs, and bringing things in from the car.

• Growing plants for our plant sales

Especially vegetables, herbs, perennials and pollinator plants.

What Earth Actions are you taking?

707-877-6650
http://OccupySonomaCounty.org

http://OccupySonomaCounty.org/es
(en español)

http://www.facebook.com/OccupySonomaCounty

https://twitter.com/OcSoCo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmJoCP-ePUTPWNgHZwtBelg

Occupy Sonoma County embraces the egalitarian, deep democracy principles of the Occupy Movement with a regional strategy for effectively organizing countywide social justice campaigns that are globally relevant.