Read, sign, and share widely the following Open Letter to Elon Musk & SpaceX

saraha...@aol.com

Feb 21, 2021, 12:03:11 PM2/21/21
to osc_eart...@googlegroups.com

View this email in your browser
News Updates and Announcements from Stop 5G International offer resources, actions and insights to counter 5G and call for a safer, wired technology future.
For more information, please visit www.stop5ginternational.org,
Facebook: Global Action to Stop 5G, https://www.facebook.com/groups/548912049259423/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Stop_5G_Intl
Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/stop5ginternational/
Dear Colleagues, Friends, and Caretakers of Our Future,

We are desperately needed now!!

Please READ, SIGN, and SHARE WIDELY the following Open Letter to Elon Musk & SpaceX.

Below the notices about the Elon Musk LetterBlog Post and Press Release is is a second announcement of the Open Letter on 5G Health and Environmental Effects by Dr. Devra Davis and Environmental Health Trust  which was shared recently in the latest Update from Stop 5G International

OPEN LETTER TO Elon Musk & SPACEX

Please sign and share widely this Open Letter to Elon Musk & SpaceX
https://stop5ginternational.org/open-letter-to-elon-musk-spacex/

The Open Letter requests that SpaceX halt their satellite program, and that Elon Musk sit down with scientists, astronomers and others to begin a conversation about the non-consensual taking of the skies and the dire consequences SpaceX satellites will have on the planet.
As SpaceX satellites will radiate and pollute every inch of the planet leaving nowhere untouched, the team is inviting environmental organizations and individuals, both nationally and internationally, to sign and share the Open Letter.

TWO ADDITIONAL LINKS TO ASSIST IN SHARING THE OPEN LETTER TO Elon Musk

1) Blog post for easier sharing on Social Media:
https://stop5ginternational.org/an-open-letter-to-elon-musk-spacex/

2) Press Release for media outlets and others who may be interested.
https://stop5ginternational.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Press-Release-Musk-Letter-Feb.-20th.pdf

OPEN LETTER ON 5G HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS BY DR. Devra Davis

Please share Dr. Devra Davis and Environmental Health Trust's Open Letter on 5G Health and Environmental Effects.

The purpose of this letter is to provide “the science” to elected reps, city councils, NGOs, school administrators, and others when they look at you askance and say, “Show me the science.”

It is our hope that both letters – the one to Elon Musk and the one on Health and Science – will help “turn the tide” on 5G and steer us toward a safer future that is more respectful of the natural world...of which we are an integral part.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Twitter
Facebook
Website
Copyright © 2021 Stop 5G International, All rights reserved.

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list
.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

Walter Alter

Feb 21, 2021, 1:33:34 PM2/21/21
to osc_eart...@googlegroups.com
I find this technophobia to be a needless distraction from us learning more about Bill Gates
and the world of hidden agenda Ruling Class strategems for a global fascist police state.
This link will bring you to an ecology inspired search engine that pulls up material about Gates
& Co. that others here were complaining were hard to find using the mainstream search engines -

This YouTube is about the coming "Gates' World" as impacting India via draconian government
legislation removing price supports for farm produce and privatizing small independent farmers,
farms which support half the Indian population.  They are to be turned into huge corporate
latifundia.  This is what the Ruling Class calls "progress".  I think this movement should
"cancel" Farmer Bill loudly and persuasively.  Yah, I know, the speaker is Russell Brand.
Just put on your curiosity hat and digest the data he presents.

www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

Walter Alter
Artist - Heretic - Savant
http://walteralter.com

Janus MATTHES

Feb 21, 2021, 2:07:20 PM2/21/21
to Walter Alter, osc_eart...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Walter for reminding me about the ecosia search engine. When you use it, they plant a tree on the planet.

Ecosia - the search engine that plants trees

Ecosia uses the ad revenue from your searches to plant trees where they are needed the most. By searching with Ecosia, you’re not only reforesting our planet, but you’re also empowering the communities around our planting projects to build a better future for themselves.

Your comment on corporatizing everything is well founded. It is all about macro economics which is destroying the planet. I'm no economist but did take classes at SSU to understand that macro economics is corporate economics. It is outsourcing the cheapest labor and products no matter how far you have to transport it or how badly you damage the environment. Micro economics is local.

Bill Gates has been very heavy handed in Africa with birth control and GMO technology. He thinks to save Africa they need to give up their generational seeds and go to GMO'd seeds. "The road to hell was paved with good intentions". I don't think he is evil but just arrogant and thinks money equals intelligence. Great discussion. Janus
df1ab10f-207a-4c2d-823d-1a5f44ae596f.jpg
color-twitter-48.png
color-facebook-48.png
color-link-48.png
MC_MonkeyReward_15.png

saraha...@aol.com

Feb 21, 2021, 3:40:01 PM2/21/21
to transo...@gmail.com, osc_eart...@googlegroups.com
Walter, I valued the issues you shared earlier in a separate email.  I'm on the Green Party Alameda County Council and we shared a recent email about Bill Gates, Impossible Burgers, regenerative agriculture and double standards regarding leaders and sometimes environmental organizations.  We look at many issues.

I felt sad when you responded my email, "this technophobia to be a needless distraction," especially during a time when environmental activists all need to come together, and find not just common ground but higher ground during a time of such polarization. There are many different issues different groups are focusing on, bit like the blind men and elephant story, each monk thought the elephant was a trunk, a tail, or a tusk.  Turned out the elephant was all those components.

Regarding technology and satellites, there is actually a lawsuit against FCC on the satellite issue from Harvard Law and MIT Professor Julienne Gresser. This website is illuminating, and even I was surprised.

Many astronomers agree that interference with the night sky is an issue, many people in NOAA know that the technology may interfere with weather forecasting.  Wired magazine has written about problems with huge energy consumption, and privacy, science magazines mention environmental harm.

There is a problem when a few billionaires launch programs that take over the public commons, and corporations such as Big Ag, Big Pharma, Big Oil, or Big Tech have undue influence locally and globally.
We need to have our wagons facing outward, not at each other.

Sincerely,

Sarah Aminoff

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 12.29.00 PM.png

Kamal Prasad

Feb 21, 2021, 5:24:55 PM2/21/21
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
This is hilarious! Did you know the Ecosia search engine in powered by Bing, which is owned by Microsoft? So, every time you use it, yes, you help plant a tree, but you also help Bill Gates make more money. Without Bill Gates' company Ecosia wouldn't exist and therefore no tree-planting.

Janus MATTHES

Feb 21, 2021, 5:47:59 PM2/21/21
to Kamal Prasad, Kamal Prasad' via OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Horrible! I know plenty of folks that use it thinking they are doing good. Thanks Kamal, I will get the word out with links.....
Janus

JUDITH IAM

Feb 21, 2021, 6:38:55 PM2/21/21
to Janus MATTHES, Kamal Prasad, Kamal Prasad' via OSC - Earth Action Campaign
ok, then, what IS the best search engine to use?  we all use them daily - may as well make it count.

creek shade

Feb 21, 2021, 9:50:37 PM2/21/21
to Kamal Prasad, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
One more question in addition to Kamal's pertinent one:
Is each "tree" (or in many cases, sapling) being planted because a beautiful, mature tree was lopped off for the industries? That is happening all over the place - especially in the US right under our noses - in Sonoma Co. I just documented it a week back. All the gorgeous live trees being taken down right now are being "replaced" by tree planting operations.

Maya

Larry Hanson

Feb 21, 2021, 10:46:01 PM2/21/21
to creek shade, Kamal Prasad, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Maya,

Can you give us any details, who and what, about cutting mature trees and replacing them seedlings or saplings?  Thanks.

Larry

creek shade

Feb 22, 2021, 12:22:37 PM2/22/21
to Larry Hanson, Kamal Prasad, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Hi Larry,

Can we have a conference call on Wednesday with Rick Halsey, California chaparral Institute, and Dr. Chad Hanson, John Muir project? We can do a quick phone tree so I can call a bunch of other groups.
Both fire scientists have been providing detailed comments on their concerns, most of which are being ignored because the public is completely unaware.

The level of clearcutting that is being budgeted is huge, and it’s in the state as a bill right now. I documented one clear-cut but I don’t have a whole lot of time due to a full-time job!
The main place where  I’ve been documenting clearcuts is Walbridge fire, west of Healdsburg. Photos to follow.

 Rick and Chad know a lot more because they have  spent time providing detailed comments on the “vegetation treatment plan,” which calls for massive clear cuts. Rick was a fire fighter and he knows how these clear cuts and mastication projects actually increase fire risk. As of yesterday, Rick said the budget has been released and the bills are being introduced now to fund it all. Nearly everyone, from the statehouse, the press, environmental groups, and the public have consumed the lemonade — most I do not understand the level of removals that are taking place already.

1. Forests need massive logging.
2. Burned forests must be salvaged and replanted — note: this includes forests that are very much alive and have barely been singed by the fires! All swaths are being cut right now in Sonoma.
3. Chaparral needs to be cleared/burned for “ecological restoration”.
4. Type conversion of chaparral has been redefined by Cal Fire in their VTP to allow them to cause type conversion in violation of state law.
5. prescribed burning hundreds of thousand of acres with destruction by containment lines, mastication, and logging.

This is all being funded by the proposed $1 Billion wildfire budget. It will all be coordinated with the USFS — the main agency that has been destroying thousands of acres of intact forests with so-called “salvage logging“ operations — The vast majority of which are in living forests.

Maya

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
                                    - Margaret Mead

Sent from Maya's iPhone

On Feb 21, 2021, at 8:25 PM, creek shade <creek...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Larry,

All salvage logging operations, by definition, take “dead and damaged“ trees. But at least 50% of these trees are alive and well, recovering after fire. The problem is is that they are interpreted as “damaged“. Whether it’s public land or private land, most of the trees that are being taken are alive.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
                                    - Margaret Mead

Sent from Maya's iPhone

Teri Shore

Feb 22, 2021, 12:33:10 PM2/22/21
to creek shade, Larry Hanson, Kamal Prasad, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Maya,

I would be very interested in participating in a call with Chad and Rick.

I am still learning so much. By the way, I saw an interesting presentation by the forester at Pacific Union College in Angwin recently at the Forest Conservation Working Group. It was very detailed and enlightening. The PUC manages hundreds of acres of forest behind the college, and Angwin is vulnerable to wildfire.But by the end I was a bit horrified about the extent of the clearing for fuel breaks, and then CalFIre came in and had to bulldoze during the Glass Fire any way. The forester was trying to do his best getting guidance from various sources.

Teri

creek shade

Feb 22, 2021, 12:40:32 PM2/22/21
to Teri Shore, Larry Hanson, Kamal Prasad, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Teri, All,

Sounds great, I will wait for Rachel to send the zoom link and will send it over to everyone.
Please feel free  to invite other folks & please be aware this is a meeting for nonprofit groups.

By the way, I met a fire fighter during the glass fire. He specifically mentioned that they had done way too much clear cutting and bulldozing...

Hope to see you all on Wednesday,
 Maya

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
                                    - Margaret Mead

Sent from Maya's iPhone

larryjhanson

Feb 22, 2021, 3:53:50 PM2/22/21
to creek shade, Kamal Prasad, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Yes, if you can set this up on Wednesday, just let me know I'll make sure to come in on this. Thank you.

Larry

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

creek shade

Feb 23, 2021, 12:13:59 AM2/23/21
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign

For the Wednesday Feb 24 zoom call, Rick Halsey, CCI, indicated he will be available at noon on Wednesday as he has an appointment a little later in the afternoon. Chad Hanson, JMP, also indicated he will be available. Rachel Fazio, JMP,  offered to set up the Zoom call. I am waiting to hear back - and will send it as soon as I have it.  I really hope it works for all of us as it's early in the afternoon.

The main discussion will be the State's plans for massive forest treatments focusing on large-scale forest extractions and other vegetation clearance - and the bills being introduced now to fund the plan - with little opposition.  I will take notes for those who cannot make it.

Here is the planning document, California’s Wildfire and Forest Resilience Action Plan, which calls for the massive forest clearances, across CA, for increased timber production, increased biomass energy production and increased tree plantation programs. A much more detailed, less glossy document is the Vegetation Treatment Plan Environmental Impact Report (VTP EIR).

CCI and many other groups responded to the VTP EIR, recognizing that the plan would not make conditions safer for communities. It's a larger file - I can send it separately. One of CCI's comment letters is attached.

Larry had asked for photos of ongoing clearcuts here in Sonoma - here are a few, attached. Some have fire scars, all were fully green before they were cut. The agencies provided permission and this was called a "salvage operation" – which is currently going on (Walbridge Fire area). In another area, mature redwood stands are being cut down - all are alive and healthy. More documentations are needed.They talk about removing trees and snags to reduce fire risk - which has failed to reduce fire risk during large wildfires.

Well, that's it for now. Lots to hear about - Looking forward to our conversation.

Best regards,

Maya

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 8:58 PM creek shade <creek...@gmail.com> wrote:

For the Wednesday Feb 24 zoom call, Rick Halsey, CCI, indicated he will be available at noon on Wednesday as he has an appointment a little later in the afternoon - I really hope that works for all as it's early in the afternoon. Chad Hanson also indicated he will be available. Rachel Fazio offered to set up the Zoom call. I am waiting to hear back - and will send it as soon as I have it.

The main discussion will be the State's plans for massive forest treatments focusing on large-scale forest extractions and other vegetation clearance - and the bills being introduced now to fund the plan - with little opposition.  I will take notes for those who cannot make it.

Here is the planning document, California’s Wildfire and Forest Resilience Action Plan, which calls for the massive forest clearances, across the CA, for  increased timber production, increased biomass energy production and increased tree plantation programs. A much more detailed, less glossy document is the Vegetation Treatment Plan Environmental Impact Report (VTP EIR).

CCI and many other groups responded to the VTP EIR (attached documents), recognizing that the plan would not make conditions safer for communities.

Larry had asked for photos of ongoing clearcuts here in Sonoma - here are a few, attached. More documentations are needed. As you can see, all the trees are alive. Some have fire scars, all were fully green before they were cut. The agencies provided permission and this was called a "salvage operation" – which is currently going on (Walbridge Fire area). In another area, mature redwood stands are being cut down - all are alive and healthy.

Well, that's it for now. Looking forward to our conversation.

Best regards,

Maya

TH020699.JPG
TH020707.JPG
TH020709.JPG
2019 VTP_CCI Letter to Gov Newsom - Wildfire challenge status quo.pdf

Larry Hanson

Feb 23, 2021, 12:36:52 AM2/23/21
to creek shade, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Thanks Maya. These photos are good evidence that at least some of the operations are cutting mature trees that are still viable trees and additionally prove that these trees have resisted burning.

Also, your use of using the word “clearcutting" has specific meaning in forestry language as removing all trees in a given area either at one time then called “clearcutting”, or in stages like “shelterwood” or “seed tree” over time. They are all disgraceful practices that destroy a forest ecosytem. In your use of the word, are you indicating that these salvage loggings or fire exemptions are taking every tree in a given area?  Or, are they just selectively cutting certain trees that are commercially viable?

I will be on for the noon meeting. Thanks for helping set it up.

Larry

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---
<TH020699.JPG><TH020707.JPG><TH020709.JPG><2019 VTP_CCI Letter to Gov Newsom - Wildfire challenge status quo.pdf>

creek shade

Feb 23, 2021, 12:42:39 AM2/23/21
to Larry Hanson, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Hi Larry -

Yes this 160 acre area will be clear cut. It's technically recognized by the state as a salvage logging operation! But - no dead trees! Need to go back when time permits. There was a clearcut area on a nearby hill - same property - but too much slash so I didn't make it over there. That area did not have a single standing tree -  no veg on the ground in that area. The area I photographed was in progress. They were proceeding rapidly.

Best
Maya

lois

Feb 23, 2021, 10:06:40 AM2/23/21
to creek shade, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
So we have to fight this all over again?
It is clear that forests need to be maintained. I live within two miles of the edge of the Wallbridge fire. But clear cutting is not maintenance.
Lois Pearlman

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

creek shade

Feb 23, 2021, 2:36:41 PM2/23/21
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Here are the Zoom meeting details from Rachel Fazio - below. See you all tomorrow!

Maya
Drs. Law and Moomaw’s excellent piece-- “Keeping trees in the ground where they are already growing is an effective low-tech way to slow climate change”-- is currently the top article on The Conversation (https://theconversation.com/keeping-trees-in-the-ground-where-they-are-already-growing-is-an-effective-low-tech-way-to-slow-climate-change-154618) and is also being shared through Yahoo News (https://news.yahoo.com/keeping-trees-ground-where-already-132341980.html). This is an important piece that I recommend sharing widely!

Rachel Fazio is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting:

Topic: California's Disastrous Plan for Forests
Time: Feb 24, 2021 12:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82069266173

Meeting ID: 820 6926 6173
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,82069266173# US (San Jose)
+13462487799,,82069266173# US (Houston)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
Meeting ID: 820 6926 6173
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdTu2BZKAf

creek shade

Feb 23, 2021, 5:23:13 PM2/23/21
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign

My apologies, the VTP EIR hyperlink was not going to the document.

Thanks for alerting me.

Here is the link to the VTP EIR:

https://bof.fire.ca.gov/projects-and-programs/calvtp/

It’s on this CCI website page:

https://www.californiachaparral.org/threats/cal-fire/

More documents will be sent tomorrow.

Best regards,

Maya

Teri Shore

Feb 24, 2021, 2:56:44 PM2/24/21
to creek shade, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
FYI, Here are notes I took from yesterday's Secretary Speaker Series with Natural Resources Secretary Wade Crowfoot about the new CA wildfire resiliency action plan. Contact me directly if you'd like to chat more about it.

Secretary Speaker Series Wade Crowfoot Feb. 23, 2021

Title: Paradigm Shift – Strengthening our Wildfire Resilience

Focus on new state WILDFIRE AND FOREST RESILIENCE ACTION PLAN

Host: Secretary Crowfoot

Panelists:

Irvin Jim, Tribal Leader and Supervisor, Alpine County. Biomass energy proponent and business advocate. See CHIPs program now under way. http://www.calaveraschips.org/

Susie Kirschner, Inland Empire RDC. San Bernardino National Forest. Working with USDA Forest Service on forest and vegetation management. https://www.iercd.org/about

Todd Sloat, Fall River RCD, Northeast CA, Burney Falls, Lassen National Forest. Biomass energy proponent, forest management.  https://www.fallriverrcd.org/about_us

Karen Gaffney, North Coast Resource Partnership, also Sonoma County Open Space District. Mostly talked about science and data being collected and partnerships that resulted in various projects. https://northcoastresourcepartnership.org/

Legislators

 Assemblyman Jim Wood – Strong message to “eliminate greentape,” specicially CEQA streamlining to allow more, faster forest management. Direct Quote: “One of the biggest impediments is CEQA. Remember these projects are improving environmental quality.”

Spoke about fuel breaks, vegetation management, home hardening. Emphasized need for regional approach, not one size fits all. Wanted funding for “early action” not currently in state budget.

Senator Henry Stern – Strong proponent of focusing on homes and home hardening, ignition zone around homes, and ember driven fires. Direct quote: It is not that walls of fires that were burning down homes”.

He wants to see “early action” and “sustained action” and to to find some way to build consensus, rural, urban, exurban and build a coalition.

Crowfoot comments: California’s diverse landscapes and communities require REGIONALLY TAILORED STRATEGIES and actions.

CALFire is outmoded is facing severity and scale. We need to do more up front.

Building wildfire resilience means restoring the health of landscapes and strengthening wildfire preparation within our communities.

NOT EITHER BUT BOTH.

Low intensity fire can improve forest health, biodiversity and public health safety.

Scaling up landscape management provide economic benefits.

Strong partnerships. Federal own half the lands.

Double down on wildfire resilience with Action Plan.

Comprehensive framework to strengthen wildfire resilience and forest health.

Helps to implement recent legislation and Executive Orders.

Advances 100 specific actions.

Shared Stewardship Agreement with USFS.

Ten times more $$$ in wildfire

Increase the Pace and Scale of Landscape Health $512 million

Protection of communities 373 million

Manage forests for Economic and Environmental goas 76 million, alternative wood products market

Drive innovation 39 million.

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

Teri Shore
Advocacy Director

Greenbelt Alliance
greenbelt.org | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

We're adapting to a changing climate. Get our new Strategic Plan to find out how.

creek shade

Mar 5, 2021, 10:32:07 PM3/5/21
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Time flies!
It's been over a week since many of us heard an excellent presentation by Rick Halsey, California Chaparral Inst., followed by a discussion with Rick, Rachel Fazio, Dr. Chad Hanson and others from JMP of Earth Island Institute.

Rick drafted a letter, which we have been discussing this past week, and he finalized it earlier this afternoon. Please do read; I hope you will sign and encourage your organizations to sign on as well. I believe he wants to send it out by next week - he mentioned Thursday but I will check with him about that.

Thanks so much; there's a lot more to talk about but I'll stop right there for now. Oh - the Fact Sheet! Yes, I am working on that.

Best wishes,
Maya

Note from Rick:
Here's our final draft. Feel free to send it out for signatures. It is available at the Google sign-on form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScuL7ExIAi1D7sGdcSVbrmwRHqTnjAePT48-JxbzL5bG1zJ5g/viewform

Thanks so much for your input!

Note the letterhead. I decided our work needed some kind of overarching identity :)

creek shade

Mar 8, 2021, 3:35:19 PM3/8/21
to jennyb, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Thanks Jenny,

I will try sending out one more reminder tomorrow…
Because he was a fire fighter, now a fire ecologist, Rick has a really good handle on all sides of this issue. It’s a solid letter. He also had maps, I’ll ask his permission to send out the Maps to everybody.

Best wishes,
Maya

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
                                    - Margaret Mead

Sent from Maya's iPhone

On Mar 8, 2021, at 11:31 AM, jennyb <jenn...@wllw.net> wrote:

Reminder.  The deadline for signing on is March 10.

Wayne Morgenthaler

Mar 8, 2021, 5:15:54 PM3/8/21
to creek shade, jennyb, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
This letter is of course a good paper version of Rick's great presentation.  I only wish that when he says "only 5% of proposed $1 billion will be available to communities to protect themselves from wildfire" he had front end loaded the letter with the truth --  that 95% of funding will  mostly do harm, not just ineffective or failed models of protection but corruption for the profit of extractors pandering to the public's fear of fire.  Otherwise the argument with policy wonks may go, "OK you can have 10% and we will continue to destroy forests as we will. As I said it is pretty hard for me to rationalize any extraction from forests given our dire climate circumstances.  One thing that was very clear from the On-the-Ground Forest and Landscape Resiliency webnar last week was that the logging economy is a principal concern of agencies.  Tree farming is the "ecology" they want to make sustainable -- in itself a fool's errand.

On a practical note,  I did sign the letter for Pachamama but shall we also send this out to the larger network to get signatures more broadly? Again being careful not to create a lot of overlapping requests.  How broadly shall this reach?  It is no longer a Sonoma County project.

Wayne Morgen
thaler
282 Skillman, Petaluma CA 94952

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

Larry Hanson

Mar 8, 2021, 5:22:25 PM3/8/21
to Wayne Morgenthaler, creek shade, jennyb, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Very well said Wayne. You reversed the perspective where it should be while putting the issue into a succint nutshell.

Larry

Teri Shore

Mar 8, 2021, 9:16:55 PM3/8/21
to creek shade, jennyb, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Thanks, I just signed on for Greenbelt Alliance.

We are also signing a letter from Pacific Forest Trust seeking "early action funding," but that doesn't delve into the substance of what is being funded so I am glad for Rick's letter.

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

creek shade

Mar 9, 2021, 12:12:14 PM3/9/21
to Wayne Morgenthaler, jennyb, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Hi Wayne,

You're absolutely right - Rick tends to be more measured in his approach - but the letter does build momentum on the subject of previously logged forests contributing to the fastest, most dangerous fires.

Two recent examples that are well known are the 2018 Camp Fire - Paradise -  and 2020 Creek Fire - Sierra NF - with all those helicopter rescues last year. What's most tell-tale is the fire progression maps - where you can easily see the fires hit open, logged lands and slash and simply race through those areas in unexpected ways. Chad Hanson has done more direct work on this.

Anyway yes , please do send the letter out to as many groups as possible for signatures.

Best regards,
Maya

creek shade

Mar 9, 2021, 9:53:05 PM3/9/21
to Wayne Morgenthaler, jennyb, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Just FYI: Rick is giving and recording a similar presentation tomorrow and here are the details below from him today.

All best,
Maya

I'm going to be giving the same presentation I gave to the Sonoma group and I will be recording it this time. Some of the participants mentioned they wanted a recording, so you might want to let them know.

Rick

And please join us for a Zoom conference this Thursday at 11:00AM for a discussion on wildfire and the impact of the Newsom administration's approach. Please register in advance for this meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUuf-2grDgqE9PR8jfFIUkOm0ybbI9JHC19

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.