Response from the Climate Change Emergency Declaration Campaign: [Climate Activists-SC] DOES ANYONE OBJECT TO THIS PROPOSAL? : Sonoma County Climate Activist Network Endorses The Green New Deal

1 view

Jorge Rebagliati

Feb 25, 2019, 3:21:39 PM2/25/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Dear OSC-Earth Action members:

Below are our comments on the Green New Deal sent earlier to SOCOCAN.

Best regards,

Jorge

Climate Change Emergency Declaration Campaign

"We are the ones we've been waiting for"

Feb 26, 2019, 1:29:02 AM2/26/19
to Jorge Rebagliati, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
My thought is that, as usual, the proposed Green New Deal is not perfect but it is an essential first step that we must support.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Paul Larkin

Feb 26, 2019, 12:27:49 PM2/26/19
to OSC - Earth Action Campaign
I’m bothered by a couple of recent posts to this group, enough to weigh in with my opinion.

We’ve got a huge, difficult task ahead of us to save our climate. Let’s not waste our energy or harm our cause with internal attacks.

For example:

Someone posted a link to Naomi Wolf’s critique of the green new deal. Miss Wolf goes way overboard attacking phoney issues and exaggerating negative aspects of the GND. (E.g. It’s not grassroots because it’s run by the government, AOC could be a shill for the Democratic establishment, the proposed congressional committee is not selected by the people, corporations own certain technologies so the GND is therefore a big giveaway to corporations, smart grids are bad, etc; all bogus in my opinion) The GND will be a heavy lift, let’s not add to the load.

Another post denounces the IPCC report for allegedly excluding certain factors, and claims that by looking at downstream scenarios it’s “permitting” more emissions. It’s important to support science when so many deny it. The IPCC’s landmark product is based on imperfect, evolving computer models; they are the best science we have. “Denouncing” it or saying it can’t be trusted won’t help us.

Yes, we have a very critical emergency here, but we also have the reality of changing millions of minds as well as our energy system, our economy, and our technology. It will take concrete, workable strategies and programs. It will take massive effort from grassroots, government, science, industry, and academics. It has already taken too long but let’s throw everything we can at it now.

Paul

--
www.OccupySonomaCounty.org

To select the daily digest or abridged version go to your membership settings.
---

Cassandra Lista

Feb 26, 2019, 3:44:27 PM2/26/19
to Paul Larkin, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
I agree with Paul. It is crucial that we start, regardless of a few shortcomings.

C:-)
iP

Christopher Fisher

Feb 26, 2019, 4:00:16 PM2/26/19
to Cassandra Lista, Paul Larkin, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Fairly certain Paul speaks for a lot of us below. Thank you!

I appreciate all the input about the GND, but at this point it's just a shell of a resolution we need to give a full body to. Onward! Lots of heavy lifting to do.

Chris

V Jacobi

Feb 26, 2019, 4:05:40 PM2/26/19
to Christopher Fisher, Cassandra Lista, Paul Larkin, OSC - Earth Action Campaign

yes, I agree too!  Progress not perfection.

---
Warmly,
Roni

www.OurGreenChallenge.org

"Climate Change is not just another issue in this complicated world of
proliferating issues. It is the issue that, unchecked, will swamp all other issues."
- Ross Gelbspan in The Heat Is On

Jorge Rebagliati

Feb 26, 2019, 7:34:10 PM2/26/19
to Cassandra Lista, Christopher Fisher, Paul Larkin, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Thank you Paul Larkin for contributing with your comments.

We are not proposing to oppose the GND.  We are offering changes to core elements  of the GND Resolution that need to be modified to make the GND a project that will deliver the results that we all want for the world.  So, supporting the GND with edits is perfectly reasonable.  Don't you think that the politicians need feedback from us?

Paul, you have the opinion that the IPCC Reports is the best Climate science we have.  Obviously, I do not agree that it is the best science we have, and if you took the time to read the article in my 2/25/19 e-mail you must have seen that Professor Michael Mann (former IPCC scientist) and other scientists have the same opinion.

Yes, Paul, we have a very critical emergency, and it's not going to be resolved for the better with GRADUALISM.

Best regards,

Jorge

Climate Change Emergency Declaration Campaig

"We are the ones we've been waiting for"

DECLARATION: "Climate Crisis Is Already A Major Disaster"

Merlin Davis

Feb 26, 2019, 8:13:11 PM2/26/19
to Jorge Rebagliati, Cassandra Lista, Christopher Fisher, Paul Larkin, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
The GND is inherently flawed because the climate will never be fixed under capitalism.  This inherent flaw makes its others pale in comparison.  IMO it is critical to support it as short-term harm reduction and to keep such a weak and already insufficient band-aid from being watered down even further.

Has everyone seen the video of Feinstein condescending to school children with an insistence that it must be replaced by a bill that is acceptable to Republican politicians?  This is the stuff we must all be absolutely on guard for, and militant in opposing.  This is "our" Senator!  Time to start showing she doesn't have the mandate she believes she has.  Why aren't we shutting down the freeways and clogging the production lines yet?

Merlin

clista

Feb 26, 2019, 8:39:18 PM2/26/19
to Merlin Davis, Jorge Rebagliati, Christopher Fisher, Paul Larkin, OSC - Earth Action Campaign
Ansolutely!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.