how to connect two orthanc servers which are not on the same lan (through internet)

Mohammed Almatary

May 8, 2019, 12:07:33 PM5/8/19
to Orthanc Users
hello, i'm new to orthanc and i want to connection two orthanc servers through the internet, is http connection enough?
, i want to use one server as master and the second server as a second database.
thank you

Sébastien Jodogne

May 8, 2019, 3:17:34 PM5/8/19
to Orthanc Users
What do you mean "is http connection enough"?

If your concern is security, you should use HTTPS; Please read the Orthanc Book:

Mohammed Almatary

May 8, 2019, 3:53:06 PM5/8/19
to Orthanc Users
i wanted to know if it's an obligation to use https when the servers are not on the same lan, here is my configuration, the ip address where the the other orthanc is installed is 37.170.4.120 on the port 8042,since on the rest api the only modification to make is to add an entry in the "Orthancpeers", i don't know what else to do, i can't connect to the second orthanc, can you please tell me what i'm missing, thank you
regards

Mohammed Almatary

May 8, 2019, 4:00:59 PM5/8/19
to Orthanc Users
Configuration.json

Michel Rozpendowski

May 9, 2019, 3:44:25 AM5/9/19
to Orthanc Users
You don't have to go through https, http is technically fine, even though not secured, so we would not advise you to go through http over the Internet, especially not if you are transferring real patient un-anonymized data.
Instead of a peer connection between your two Orthanc servers, you could setup a DICOMweb connection thanks to the DICOMweb plugin (https://www.orthanc-server.com/static.php?page=dicomweb).

Anyway, have you tested the connectivity from one server to the other?
What's the output of a curl -v http://37.170.4.120:8042 command from your first Orthanc server?