DICOMDIR is missing Series name

salim....@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2017, 2:13:20 PM9/20/17
to Orthanc Users
Hi there,

I think I picked up a bug in the study/XXX/media API that generate the DICOMDIR file structure in a ZIP

The DICOMDIR file generated has empty serie descriptions for all series inside of a study

The DICOM itself are OK but the generated DICOMDIR has empty series description.

Other DICOMDIR I used have series description, since the DICOM parser read only the DICOMDIR to display series the fact that series description are missing make really difficult for the user to reach the needed series.

Thanks for your help,

Salim

Message has been deleted

Marco Barnig

Sep 21, 2017, 8:26:14 AM9/21/17
to Orthanc Users
Hello Salim,

Series Description is an optional attribute in the DICOMDIR. Below is a link to an old post about this topic in the dcmtk forum.

http://forum.dcmtk.org/viewtopic.php?t=1573

I am currently finalizing a contribution on GitHub about a DICOMDIR parser which reads the series description from the first instance of the series.

I will keep you informed when the contribution is ready.

kind regards,

Marco Barnig

salim....@gmail.com

Sep 21, 2017, 11:53:56 AM9/21/17
to Orthanc Users
Actually even not mandatory it is limiting.
You are correct that you can recover the Series description from the original DICOM but it forces you to parse the DICOM.
If you are in a CD this is a significant cost in speed because you need to access multiple files while the access time of a CD is really long.

Le jeudi 21 septembre 2017 14:26:14 UTC+2, Marco Barnig a écrit :
> Hello Salim,
> Series Description is an optional attribute in the DICOMDIR. Below is a link to an old post about this topic in the dcmtk forum.
> http://forum.dcmtk.org/viewtopic.php?t=1573
> I am currently finalizing a contribution on GitHub about a DICOMDIR parser which reads the series description from the first instance of the series.
> I will keep you informed when the contribution is ready.
> kind regards,
> Marco BarnigOn Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 8:13:20 PM UTC+2, salim....@gmail.com wrote:Hi there,

Sébastien Jodogne

Oct 8, 2017, 5:54:22 AM10/8/17
to Orthanc Users
Hello,

Not only the "Series Description" DICOM tag is optional, but because it is a Type-3 tag, adding it to the DICOMDIR results in a so-called "Extended SOP Class" that implies a specific treatment in the DICOM Conformance Statement:

As a consequence, including "Series Description" should *never* be the default behavior of Orthanc.

To take your request into account, I have added an optional argument "?extended" to the "/.../.../media" URI that will, if present, result in adding Type-3 arguments (currently, only "Series Description") to the DICOMDIR while generating a warning in the Orthanc logs. Here is the corresponding change in the mainline of Orthanc:

Here is a sample call:

HTH,
Sébastien-

Salim Kanoun

Oct 8, 2017, 3:32:21 PM10/8/17
to Orthanc Users
Wonderful, thank you so much for your help !

Salim

Marco Barnig

Oct 9, 2017, 2:19:17 PM10/9/17
to Orthanc Users
Good evening,

my announced contribution is now available on GitHub:

https://github.com/mbarnig/cornerstoneArchiveImageLoader

Sébastien, I will test your Type-3 tag modification in the coming days.

Marco Barnig

Marco Barnig

Oct 10, 2017, 8:39:15 AM10/10/17
to Orthanc Users
Hello Sébastien,

I tested successfully your media extension with a new build of the Orthanc Server on Mac.
This is great.

Marco Barnig

Salim Kanoun

Dec 14, 2017, 2:48:52 AM12/14/17
to Orthanc Users
Hi Sebastien,

I think that the ?extended is not available for unrelated dicom ressources.
Is there a way to add the same feature for the /tools/create-media API ?

Best regards,

Salim

Sébastien Jodogne

Dec 14, 2017, 10:34:46 AM12/14/17
to Orthanc Users
Nice catch!

This feature is implemented in the following changeset (pending in the mainline):

It adds a new "/tools/create-media-extended" URI that behaves similarly to "/tools/create-media", but adding the type-3 tags in the DICOMDIR. For instance:

# curl http://localhost:8042/tools/create-media-extended -d '["6eeded74-75005003-c3ae9738-d4a06a4f-6beedeb8"]' > media.zip

HTH,
Sébastien-

Salim Kanoun

Dec 15, 2017, 4:25:50 AM12/15/17
to Orthanc Users
Thank you so much, it will help us in our project.

Happy end of year celebrations,

Salim