Orthanc on Synology

sc.call...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2019, 1:26:11 PM2/22/19
to Orthanc Users
Hello
I have this strange situation.

I had installed Orthanc ver 1.3.0 on Synology nas, with intel inside processor X64. (This package is provided by Synology)
The package work very well, but I want to upgrade to 1.5.4 version.
The problem is : speed for upload files (patients, studies...) is on half when I use my compiled versions.
 Ex: in the original version I upload patiets with ~20MB/s, and with my compiled version with ~9MB/s.
This problem persist and if I compile ver 1.3.0 form  https://www.orthanc-server.com/ (same problem if I use precompiled linux version)
Do you have any ideea of what can cause this situation?
I made a configuration file very simple  without MySQL or PostgreSQL to avoid any influence from this side... (no compression on write, no plugins installed...) Simple overwrite the original 1.3.0 "Orthanc" file with my compiled version 1.3.0 make problems .
I had contacted Synology support but their answer is:
"We do not support any system or package modifications, especially for a third party packages like this.
You would need to figure it out by yourself."

Thanks in advance

Bryan Dearlove

Feb 22, 2019, 1:46:26 PM2/22/19
to Orthanc Users
May be this:

Performance warning

If performance is important to you, make sure to add the option -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release when invoking cmake. Indeed, by default, run-time debug assertions are enabled, which can seriously impact performance, especially if your Orthanc server stores a lot of DICOM instances.

sc.call...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2019, 1:59:36 PM2/22/19
to Orthanc Users

sc.call...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2019, 2:16:57 PM2/22/19
to Orthanc Users
Hello
 I use :
cmake ../Orthanc -DSTATIC_BUILD=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
make

sc.call...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2019, 11:29:07 AM2/28/19
to Orthanc Users
Hello again
I return with speed  issue for upload patients...
I had make same tests on a clean installed Debian 9.8 on a HP microserver and a have same results.
With version 1.2.0 installed from Debian repo everything is ok, the upload speed is good. (The upload speed is ~ 200Mbps)
But when I overwrite the "Orthanc" file in /usr/sbin and "OrthancRecoverCompressedFile" in the /usr/bin, with precompiled version available on  http://lsb.orthanc-server.com/orthanc/1.5.5/, or with my compiled files, or install version 1.5.4  available on SID , the upload speed go down dramatically.  (The upload speed is ~ 70Mbps)
I use same configuration file..., no SQL, no plugins, for this test I upload same patient from weasis from a windows computer... time for upload in first case is ~ 3min, and in second  is ~ 10 min ( This patient has many studies)
I had attached a prin screen of a networ traffic in both cases.
Thanks in advance
Adrian Schiopu
1.2.0.png
1.5.5.png

Sébastien Jodogne

Feb 28, 2019, 12:49:18 PM2/28/19
to Orthanc Users
Dear Adrien,

Please could you give another try with the following LSB binaries of the Orthanc mainline?

These precompiled binaries might solve your performance issue.

Regards,
Sébastien-

sc.call...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2019, 1:30:55 PM2/28/19
to Orthanc Users
THANKS. This version seems to working fine. The upload speed is ok. In next days I will try to make tests with MySQL, because I want to implement this version in production and I  need  MySQL for index.

sc.call...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2019, 4:19:38 PM3/1/19
to Orthanc Users
Today I test with MySQL  activated (plugin version downloaded from "mainline") only for index.
SQL version: Server version: 10.1.37-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 Debian 9.6
The performance drop down again...

When I read the log I found this line:
"W0301 23:00:36.977483 OrthancPluginDatabase.cpp:330] Your database index plugin is not compatible with multiple Orthanc writers"
I had attached the log file.
Thanks
Orthanc.log.20190301-230028.1516

Sébastien Jodogne

Mar 2, 2019, 4:05:13 AM3/2/19
to Orthanc Users
Using an external database management system (rather than embedded SQLite) comes with enterprise-ready features, at the price of lower speed because of network communications and consistency between multiple clients.

Learn how to optimize your MySQL server, and contribute by sharing your insights on this forum, e.g.:

The PostgreSQL index plugin is more optimized than MySQL, consider switching. Especially, read the dedicated FAQ entry:

Regarding "Your database index plugin is not compatible with multiple Orthanc writers": Well, I guess the message is clear enough by itself. Switch to PostgreSQL if this is a problem to you.

Sébastien-

sc.call...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2019, 4:07:06 AM3/4/19
to Orthanc Users
The "winner configuration" is Orthanc 1.5.6 + PostgreSQL.
This work fine and inside of the Synology.
Thanks again for help

Adrian Schiopu

Mar 13, 2019, 12:04:26 PM3/13/19
to Orthanc Users
Wrong answer from me... Still can not use in Synology because Synology have preinstalled PostgreSQL 9.3.22 and can not upgrade to 9.6.xx.
It is any possibility to compile last version of PostgreSQL plugin for my version of PostgreSQL ? (including PostgreSQL contrib)
Thanks
Currently  I'm use 1.3.0 and PostgreSQL plugin 2.0.
If is possible to compile please provide me CMAKE command and help me with any other useful information
Thanks in advance

luni, 4 martie 2019, 11:07:06 UTC+2, Adrian Schiopu a scris:
The "winner configuration" is Orthanc 1.5.6 + PostgreSQL.
This work fine and inside of the Synology.
Thanks again for help

sâmbătă, 2 martie 2019, 11:05:13 UTC+2, Sébastien Jodogne a scris:
Using an external database management system (rather than embedded SQLite) comes with enterprise-ready features, at the price of lower speed because of network communications and consistency between multiple clients.

Learn how to optimize your MySQL server, and contribute by sharing your insights on this forum, e.g.:

Sébastien Jodogne

Mar 13, 2019, 12:32:38 PM3/13/19
to Adrian Schiopu, Orthanc Users
Why don't you ask Synology to upgrade PostgreSQL instead? The PostgreSQL 9.3.x branch comes back from 2014.

Feel free to adapt the source code of the PostgreSQL plugins for Orthanc by yourself... that's precisely why we provide free and open-source software:

Adrian Schiopu

Mar 13, 2019, 1:19:32 PM3/13/19
to Orthanc Users
Yes you have right! Version 9.3  is too old...
But don't be upset on me. I just try to solve my problem. The communication with Snology is always full of amability, but they don't solve the problems... maybe on next major update... I had already ask them to upgrade their published version of Orthanc ( 1.3.0 still BETA version from 2017!!!)

Sébastien Jodogne

Mar 13, 2019, 3:56:25 PM3/13/19
to Orthanc Users

Don't take me wrong: I really understand your disappointment. Unfortunately, I cannot lose a few days in the Orthanc roadmap to mitigate a lack of updates on the side of a major company. This would simply penalize the full community of Orthanc users.

Is there any developer on this mailing list who could help Adrian by downgrading the version of the PostgreSQL 9.6.1 client that is built in Orthanc, down to version 9.3.x?

Here is the direct link to the file to be adapted:

Adrian Schiopu

Jun 7, 2019, 6:26:21 PM6/7/19
to Orthanc Users
I have prepared a guide for users who want to use Synology as Orthanc Server.
The problem was using a newer version of PostgreSQL, now resolved.
This system works well for me in production for about 2 months.
PostgreSQL_Synology_EN.pdf

Sébastien Jodogne

Jun 11, 2019, 2:54:21 AM6/11/19
to Orthanc Users
Hello Adrian,

Thanks for this great contribution! For future reference, I took the liberty of adding your document to the dedicated repository:

Regards,
Sébastien-

William Sanchez

Jul 19, 2019, 3:41:05 PM7/19/19
to Orthanc Users
Hi

I have installed the beta version of Orthanc available in Synology store and read here that after they could make an upgrade to the latest published version, can you give me an idea of how to do that update?

Regards

William

Adrian Schiopu

Jul 20, 2019, 6:10:04 AM7/20/19
to Orthanc Users
For update to the last version you need to follow steps:
1. install a second instance of PostgreSQL  as I post before in a guide.(this is difficult step)
2. download last version of orthanc and replace the old version with new one.
3. modify the configuration file according to your configuration

Dkorthosurgery

May 15, 2021, 5:48:20 PM5/15/21
to Orthanc Users
I set up Orthanc on Synology using official docker, and latest orthanc,postgreSQL,pgadmin in docker without changing any system files.
it is very simple procedure, works very well and the speed is impressive
If someone is interested i can prepare a quide.

Hasan Erken

May 16, 2021, 5:26:28 AM5/16/21
to Dkorthosurgery, Orthanc Users
It can be very helpful.

Frank Lopez

May 17, 2021, 2:18:38 AM5/17/21
to Hasan Erken, Dkorthosurgery, Orthanc Users
If you could do that, that would be amazing. I have set up Orthanc on docker and point its important folders to a volume on Synology and then use Synology backup capabilities to have snapshots and offsite backup on the Orthanc data.

Dkorthosurgery

May 17, 2021, 8:07:09 AM5/17/21
to Frank Lopez, Hasan Erken, Orthanc Users
I am preparing the guide but i had a problem and i am trying to solve it.
The setup is working very well with one orthanc instance accessing the postgresql database.
I am trying to use a second instance to the same database and although the first one continue to work very well the second instance can see the database but cannot direct to the correct orthancstorage on the synology.
I was not able to find the error until now.

Κυριάκος  A Δημητριάδης MD Msc

Ορθοπαιδικός Χειρουργός - Τραυματολόγος

Ψαρών 19, διαμ. 202,Έγκωμη, 2408 Λευκωσία

Τηλ: 22353000 / 99653546 Φαξ: 22353777

email: in...@dkorthosurgery.com

website:www.dkorthosurgery.com