C-FIND SCU for PatientName is case sensitive (Unicode)

v.ovsy...@gmail.com

May 24, 2015, 10:33:14 PM5/24/15
to orthan...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to integrate the Orthanc into our infrastructure and got negative feedback from users with search issues. Is it possible to provide case insensitive C-FIND requests (/modalities/orthanc/find-patient)? Thanks.

Sébastien Jodogne

May 25, 2015, 4:20:57 AM5/25/15
to orthan...@googlegroups.com, v.ovsy...@gmail.com, v.ovsy...@gmail.com
Hi,

On Monday, May 25, 2015 at 4:33:14 AM UTC+2, v.ovsy...@gmail.com wrote:
I'm trying to integrate the Orthanc into our infrastructure and got negative feedback from users with search issues. Is it possible to provide case insensitive C-FIND requests (/modalities/orthanc/find-patient)? Thanks.

This feature is part of the currently ongoing refactoring to introduce a query/retrieve client (i.e. C-Move SCU) inside Orthanc Explorer. There will be a flag in the configuration file to enable case-insensitive search for PN Value Representations in the Orthanc C-Find SCP.

Please however note what the DICOM standard says about this feature: "Except for Attributes with a PN Value Representation, only entities with values which match exactly the value specified in the request shall match. This matching is case-sensitive. [...] For Attributes with a PN Value Representation (e.g., Patient Name (0010,0010)), an application may perform literal matching that is either case-sensitive, or that is insensitive to some or all aspects of case [...]."

This means that Orthanc 0.8.6 strictly respects the spec, as it chooses case-sensitive search for PN Value Representations. Any DICOM client should automatically put its search strings in upper case, to avoid this pitfall of the DICOM standard, and to become agnostic of the type of DICOM server.

HTH,
Sébastien-

Torsten Schmale

Jul 5, 2017, 4:29:59 AM7/5/17
to Orthanc Users, v.ovsy...@gmail.com
Hi Sebastien,

testing with Orthanc 1.2, Osirix 8 and an dcm with PatientName as follows:
PatientName (0010,0010) KÄTEST^TEST

Seeing that the config var. is not working as expected.
Osirix finds the patient if I search for "K" or "KÄ" but not for "Kä"

It makes no difference if I set the config var to true or false

  // When handling a C-Find SCP request, setting this flag to "true"

  // will enable case-sensitive match for PN value representation

  // (such as PatientName). By default, the search is

  // case-insensitive, which does not follow the DICOM standard.

  "CaseSensitivePN" : false,

Looks like a problem when using german umlaute like "Ää" or the config flag does not work at all (have not tested other cases yet)

best
Torsten

Sébastien Jodogne

Jul 11, 2017, 3:46:00 PM7/11/17
to Orthanc Users, v.ovsy...@gmail.com
Dear Torsten,

I confirm that case-insensitive matching over special characters is not supported as of Orthanc <= 1.2.0.

I have just introduced an issue in our bugtracker:

Regards,
Sébastien-