Required to call two API to get all metadata of Work. Can it be done by calling one time only?

Kyaw Khaung

Sep 20, 2018, 2:24:07 AM9/20/18
to ORCID API Users
I am developing API for my work. I use this api method

GET /v2.1/{orcid}/works  first to find out putCode of each individual Work. This call does not have all metadata.

Then, I have to call

GET /v2.1/{orcid}/work/{putCode} to get all metadata of a Work. Instead of calling tow trips to API, is there such a method that I can use to get all details of individual Work (all metadata) with one trip. Please share your experience.

Thanks.
Joe

Shinya Koizumi

Sep 20, 2018, 2:40:53 AM9/20/18
to kyawk...@gmail.com, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
The same here. Besides the api doesn't allow to call from javascript side so I need to call from server side. At the moment I am trying to merge all the API results for a particular orcid and create a simpler json file in the server side (which has both information about reacher documents as well as authors ) and cache so I don't have to call the api and this can be used in the SPA application or my client website. I am using PHP but should be able to do in any kind of server-side language.

Liz Krznarich

Sep 20, 2018, 12:33:57 PM9/20/18
to kyawk...@gmail.com, ORCID API Users, Shinya Koizumi
Hi Shinya and Joe,

To answer the initial question re: is there a way to get the full metadata for all of a user’s works in one API request, no there’s not. A request to /[orcid id]/works returns a list of summaries, with basic information about each item, like title, type, date, organization, source and identifier and put code. To get the full details, you do need to send a request for each work using its put code.

This behavior is a change from the previous API version (1.2) that was intended to make it easier to work with large ORCID records with lots of data. Previously, works and other activities were read/written/deleted as entire sections, which was very cumbersome in cases where users had hundreds or thousands of works.

Cheers,
Liz
---
Liz Krznarich