Error messages for non-existent ORCIDs

Andrew Gilmartin

Jun 19, 2017, 10:31:59 AM6/19/17
to ORCID API Users
In the past when the API was given a non-existent ORCID the API would returns an HTTP 404 status or the error messages contained "Invalid orcid". (The ORCID is syntactically valid.) A call to the notification API

has recently, that is, the last few months, started returning

    <error xmlns="http://www.orcid.org/ns/error">
      <response-code>400</response-code>
      <developer-message>The client application sent a bad request to ORCID.</developer-message>
      <user-message>The client application sent a bad request to ORCID.</user-message>
      <error-code>9006</error-code>
    </error>

A more meaningful error message would be much appreciated. Or perhaps there is an API call I should be making first to verify the existence of the ORCID. Please advise.

-- Andrew

Wilmers, Catalina

Jun 19, 2017, 11:30:24 AM6/19/17
to Andrew Gilmartin, ORCID API Users
Hi Andrew,

I think part of the issue may be with the version of the API you're using. We didn't add the end-points for reading sections of activities (like /works, /fundings, but also /notification-permission) until 2.0_rc3 (though when I test that endpoint with 2.0_rc1 I get a 500 rather than a 400 error). However, we do seem to have an error as the /notification-permission endpoint in version 2.0 returns an empty field if the ORCID iD is invalid rather than the 404 correctly returned with other endpoints. I'll double check all the other endpoints are working as expected and we'll start working on a fix for /notification-permissions so a correct 404 is returned.

Best,
-Catalina

Andrew Gilmartin

Jun 19, 2017, 12:08:00 PM6/19/17
to ORCID API Users
Good to know, and thank you. We expect to bring all our API use up to
the 2.x level after July (no exact schedule at this time, however).

-- Andrew
--
Andrew Gilmartin
agilm...@crossref.org