OAuth page will default to sign-in

Wilmers, Catalina

Mar 22, 2017, 12:32:41 PM3/22/17
to orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
In the next month, ORCID will change the default OAuth authenticate page to display the sign-in form instead of the registration form. As more and more researchers register for ORCID iDs (3,141,593 and counting!) we find that they are more often returning to their existing record rather than creating a new one, and we want to update our behavior to reflect this.

Currently, when a researcher is asked to grant access to their ORCID record, they are presented with a form to register for a new ORCID record (unless the sign-in form is specified in the authorization url). With this change, the sign-in form will be shown by default instead. Researchers will still be able to switch between the sign-in and register forms. An image of the sign-in page is attached, in case there’s any confusion about what page we’re talking about.

This change will not break any integrations, but we’re announcing it now so organizations that want to display the registration form can update their integrations. Adding the param ‘show_login=false’ to the authorization url will make the default continue to go to registration. The existing param ‘show_login=true’ will continue to work to show the sign-in form until the change is made (and will be ignored afterwards). More about customizing the OAuth screen is at http://members.orcid.org/api/resources/customize.

As always, please let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Best,
-Catalina

Inline image 1