ORCID & SciENcv questions

Sheila Rabun

May 19, 2020, 6:30:07 PM5/19/20
to ORCID API Users

I am working with a staff member at a university who is helping faculty connect and transfer data from ORCID to SciENcv. Two issues have come up:

1) The individual added works to their ORCID record using the CrossRef search and link wizard. However, there was a delay of several days before those works showed up in the transfer of data from ORCID to SciENcv. Is this a known issue? They ask: "Do you know how long the citations usually take to become visible on SciENcv after they have been added to my orcid account? I added them and checked the next day they were still not there. For some reason mine took a few days to show up."

2) The other issue we have been having is with Bibtex. Works that were added to ORCID via Bibtex can be transferred over to SciENcv, but when individuals go to download their PDF from SciENcv, citations that were added into their ORCID account through Bibtex show up incorrectly. They change and add the authors' first names. They ask: "Do you know how to avoid this error or have any recommendations? We have been manually entering them instead but this takes a lot of time." - I have attached examples, see citations 3, 4, and 5 in the attached: SciENcv_transfer is the initial transfer of data with just first initials appearing, whereas SciENcv_PDF is how the citations appear in the PDF, with full names.

I have also contacted the SciENcv help desk about these issues, but wanted to check here as well in case there is additional insight available.

THanks!
SHeila

SciENcv_transfer.png
SciENcv_PDF.png

Pedro Costa

May 20, 2020, 12:44:32 PM5/20/20
to ORCID API Users
Hello Sheila,

I hope you are doing well! Thanks for these questions.

I'm sure the SciENcv help desk will be in a better position to answer your second question. I'm afraid we don't know what would cause the described behavior. Perhaps a BibTeX with a contributor list was used and SciENcv uses the contributor list data if it's available. It's just one possibility.

But about your first question, I wasn't able to replicate the described issue. That is, I was able to import a publication from CrossRef to my ORCID record and it immediately became available in my SciENcv account. So perhaps there was something else that caused the delay in the data transfer from ORCID to SciENcv. Again, I hope the SciENcv help desk can help you further with this.

Kind regards,
Pedro