Get ORCID ID with author email - Integration with the PAMJ Manuscript Hut

R Kamadjeu

Nov 15, 2020, 10:16:58 PM11/15/20
to ORCID API Users
HI,
I am new to the group, so this may have been addressed in the past.

Our manuscript submission systems requests the submitting author to enter co-authors details, including emails. Is there a code to query ORCID data based, retrieve the ORCID number of the author based on his/her email for further storage in our authors table (the submitting author is not automatically authenticated with his  ORCID ID)
Any pointer will be appreciated.
Best regards

Pedro Costa

Nov 16, 2020, 12:14:06 PM11/16/20
to ORCID API Users
Hi Raoul,

Thanks for posting your question.

What you're asking about is possible with a workflow such as the one described below:

- The publisher collects co-author email addresses on submission.
- The publisher emails the co-authors a specially crafted link that redirects them back to the publishing website via ORCID authentication.
- The publisher uses the resultant permission to update the co-author’s ORCID record with the work metadata.

Hope this helps!

Bonnie Crotty Nelson

Nov 16, 2020, 5:04:36 PM11/16/20
to ORCID API Users
Assuming that you're not wanting to update the co-author's ORCID records, you can search ORCID by first, last, and organizational name, which would yield you the author's ORCID (assuming they have one and the information you have matches what's in ORCID).

Bonnie