Access token expiration timestamps now past MySql timestamp type's maximum value

Andrew Gilmartin

Jan 22, 2018, 8:56:03 AM1/22/18
to ORCID API Users
Over the weekend we got bitten by the access token's expiration timestamp now being past 2038-01-19 03:14:07 UTC. This time is the maximum value a MySql timestamp can hold. Not an ORCID.org problem, but others might be experience this too and so perhaps ORCID.org could reduce the expiration to under 2038-01-19 03:14:07 UTC while we fix our code.

-- Andrew

Simpson, Will

Jan 22, 2018, 12:00:37 PM1/22/18
to Andrew Gilmartin, ORCID API Users
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for letting us know about the MySql limit.

For the mailing list, the token expiration is 'now' + 20 years. So, of course newly issued long lived tokens are now over the max in MySql.

I'm investigating now to see if we can configure or patch to reduce the expiration time.

Best.

Will

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:56 PM, Andrew Gilmartin <agilm...@crossref.org> wrote:
Over the weekend we got bitten by the access token's expiration timestamp now being past 2038-01-19 03:14:07 UTC. This time is the maximum value a MySql timestamp can hold. Not an ORCID.org problem, but others might be experience this too and so perhaps ORCID.org could reduce the expiration to under 2038-01-19 03:14:07 UTC while we fix our code.

-- Andrew

Simpson, Will

Jan 22, 2018, 12:43:24 PM1/22/18
to Andrew Gilmartin, ORCID API Users
Hi Andrew,

I've configured sandbox.orcid.org to use 'now' + 19 years and 11 months as the expiration time for long live tokens.

Can you take a look on there and see if that works for you?

Best,

Will

Andrew Gilmartin

Jan 22, 2018, 1:19:33 PM1/22/18
to ORCID API Users
> Can you take a look on there and see if that works for you?

We have applied a workaround to the problem on our production servers: We just cap the expiration value at 2038-01-01. Our real fix is to move to MySql's datetime. Nevertheless, I will test your sandbox change and see if it would have helped us.

-- Andrew

Andrew Gilmartin

Jan 22, 2018, 1:49:47 PM1/22/18
to ORCID API Users
I can confirm that the 'now' + 19 years and 11 months works for our code. -- Andrew

Will Simpson

Jan 22, 2018, 3:25:28 PM1/22/18
to ORCID API Users
Fantastic, thanks for letting us know.

If anyone else on the mailing list is having a similar problem I will push the config change to production ORCID.

So, anyone else please let us know!

Best,

Will