Update & Create orcid-works (API V1.2)

Alan Stiles

May 27, 2016, 7:44:09 AM5/27/16
to ORCID API Users
If I have previously created say 10 works entries on a user profile via the API, and now wish to update one of those entries, I have to PUT all 10 entries to ensure none are lost (effectively, all existing works are deleted and new ones created via a PUT).

If I want to simply add a new entry, I can POST just the details for that one entry and it will be added to the record.

If I want to update an existing entry and create a new entry simultaneously, should I

  1. PUT of the existing 10 entries and then a POST for the new entry
  2. A POST of the new entry and then a PUT of all 11 entries
    or
  3. A PUT of all 11 entries ?
option 2 seems particularly redundant, option 1 at least isn't duplicating the 11th entry but does have an extra transaction than seems strictly necessary, as demonstrated by option 3.  I realise that all would work but does ORCID have a preferred option?

Thanks,

Alan