EPrints plugin integrate ORCID

I Gherasim

May 26, 2017, 4:16:42 PM5/26/17
to ORCID API Users
Hello,

Do you know if EPrints ORCID plugin (uses a public ORCID API) works to import publications into EPrints without being an ORCID basic or premium member?

Thank you.

Alainna

May 27, 2017, 7:42:05 PM5/27/17
to ORCID API Users
Hello,

Thanks for your message. EPrints is the best party to follow up with out this -- here' their documentation: http://wiki.eprints.org/w/ImportFromORCID This is not our recommended workflow. The user does not authenticate their identity by signing into ORCID. Rather, anyone can input an ORCID iD, search for it, and then pull public data from the ORCID record. (It also uses a version of the ORCID API which will be deprecated in the fourth quarter of this year.) If you are considering integrating your systems into ORCID, we'd suggest attending an upcoming technical introduction webinar at https://members.orcid.org/event-list -- they're open to everyone.

That said, there's conversation about an integration of EPrints in development on the EPrints UK users group that includes user authentication and the 2.0 version of the API. See here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/eprints-uk-user-group/5okQNnYC8xc

Finally, public API is based on one's personal ORCID record, not ORCID membership. Read more here: https://members.orcid.org/api/about-public-api

warm regards,
Alainna

I Gherasim

May 29, 2017, 1:07:17 PM5/29/17
to ORCID API Users
Hi Alainna,

Waht exactly we can do with the public APIs?

One thing we can do is to link personal accounts (like twitter) with ORCID account to use the ORCID login. What else can we do with your public APIs?. Is it possible to import publications  and academic activities into a personal academic profile? If yes, which one?

Thank you.

Alainna

Jun 1, 2017, 10:19:02 PM6/1/17
to ORCID API Users
Hello,

Thanks for your response. Apologies if you receive this twice.

We have a page on the ORCID APIs and the difference between public and member here: https://members.orcid.org/api/about-orcid-apis

And specifically on the Public API here: https://members.orcid.org/api/about-public-api

Essentially, public API can authenticate iDs and read public data on ORCID records. Member API can do all of that as well as read limited-access (trusted party) data and update ORCID records. (All with user permission, natch)

Let us know if we can be of any additional help

Warm regards,
Alainna