Migration from 2.0_rc1 to 2.0_rc2

Torsten Bronger

Sep 8, 2016, 4:57:47 AM9/8/16
to orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hallöchen!

Since 31st August (maybe slightly earlier) our code for updating
works results in an HTTP 400 (Bad Request). We use 2.0_rc1 of the
API. As a first step towards a remedy, I update to 2.0_rc2. What
is important with this step?

- Some symbols (e.g. SOURCE_WORK_ID) seem to have been changed from
UPPERCASE_WITH_UNDERSCORES to lowercase-with-hyphens. Is this
correct, and which names are affected? Also things like RINGGOLD
and JOURNAL_ARTICLE?

- The 2.0_rc1 API sent an HTTP 409 in case we try to update a work
which we are not allowed to update. With 2.0_rc2, this results in
a much less specific HTTP 400. Is this expected behaviour?

- Where is the definite messages schema for the 2.0_rc2 API?
<https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/tree/master/orcid-model/src/main/resources/record_2.0_rc2>
maybe?

Do I additionally have to pay attention at something else?

Regards,
Torsten Bronger.

--
Torsten Bronger Jabber ID: torsten...@jabber.rwth-aachen.de

Wilmers, Catalina

Sep 8, 2016, 12:50:08 PM9/8/16
to Torsten Bronger, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Torsten,

A list of changes between rc1 and rc2 is at https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/tree/master/orcid-model/src/main/resources/record_2.0_rc2 under the changes section.  That's also where you'll find the messages schema for rc2.

The most notable change for works is that the tags for external identifiers have changed, in rc2 the tag to use is <common:external-id> and it's children instead of <work:external-identifiers>.

For the uppercase with underscore versus lowercase with hyphens issue, it depends on the format of the work you are posting. In all versions, we use lowercase with hyphens in XML but uppercase with underscores in JSON.

As for the error messages, I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do to know what should be returned. If you're attempting to update a work you are not the source of, then rc2 should return a 403 forbidden error. A 409 error would be returned with either rc1 or rc2 if you're trying to post a work which you have already added to the record.

If you're still getting a 400 error, send sup...@orcid.org the call you're making and the work you're updating and we'll take a closer look to see what's going wrong.

Best,
-Catalina