ORCID Public API bug? searching for "Gabriel Abraham Frank" and getting "Sarah Wigley"

Tal Zohar

Nov 10, 2017, 1:01:32 AM11/10/17
to ORCID API Users
Hello all!

When searching for string "Gabriel AND Abraham AND Frank" in ORCID API with URL:
https://pub.orcid.org/v2.0/search?q=Gabriel+AND+Abraham+AND+Frank

We get the following XML:

<search:search num-found="1" xmlns:search="http://www.orcid.org/ns/search" xmlns:common="http://www.orcid.org/ns/common">
    <search:result>
        <common:orcid-identifier>
            <common:uri>http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6386-9107</common:uri>
            <common:path>0000-0001-6386-9107</common:path>
            <common:host>orcid.org</common:host>
        </common:orcid-identifier>
    </search:result>
</search:search>

Going to the link in the <common:uri> leads to a whole different profile for "Sarah Wigley" - very different than what we have searched for...

Am I doing something wrong?

Liz Krznarich

Nov 10, 2017, 6:52:04 AM11/10/17
to Tal Zohar, ORCID API Users
Hi Tal,

Your example query searches indexed fields on users’ entire records (not just name fields). To search just names, use a fielded search, like:

The full list of available fields is at https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial/search-orcid-registry

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Liz

Liz Krznarich
Tech Lead, Front End Development, ORCID
skype: lizkrznarich

Tal Zohar

Nov 10, 2017, 1:07:38 PM11/10/17
to ORCID API Users
Hi Liz

Thank you for your quick response. I will try to work with the correct syntax as you advice me.

Best,

Tal