Access Token Format

Chris Chapman

Nov 5, 2018, 8:45:42 PM11/5/18
to ORCID API Users
At the moment our repository for storing ORCID information can only store strings in all uppercase (don't ask).

I'm trying to find out if the access token will always be lowercase alpha-numeric (so that we can safely convert), or if there is a chance that it could contain mixed case characters?
Is there a standard or some documentation that I could refer to; my search-fu was weak.

regards,
Chris

Peters, Robert

Nov 6, 2018, 3:34:17 AM11/6/18
to Chris Chapman, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,
You can review the OAuth2 spec: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6749#section-1.4

We are not likely to officially commit to anything stricter than the spec.

Cheers,
Rob

Robert Peters
Technology Director at ORCID.org

Cellphone: +1.805.440.9056
Skype: rcpeters
Timezone: PST
Key for OpenPGP email communication:
https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1519F37D99E18378

Demeranville, Tom

Nov 6, 2018, 6:01:16 AM11/6/18
to Robert Peters, lazie...@gmail.com, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Further to this, our access tokens are type 4 randomly generated GUIDs.  These are essentially hex encoded numbers with hyphens for readability.  In theory they are case insensitive, but this differs between platforms and cannot be relied upon.

When retrieving from our database, we match these in a case sensitive way, i.e. require them to be submitted to us in the same case we issued them.  We issue them using the standard Java UUID generator, which uses lower case letters.

Tom Demeranville
Technology Advocate
ORCID Inc

Dustin Windibank

Nov 6, 2018, 9:41:58 AM11/6/18
to t.demer...@orcid.org, r.pe...@orcid.org, lazie...@gmail.com, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

One option would be to Base16 encode the token. That would waste space in your database, but would insulate you from any changes to how the token is generated.

Example: ae1155fb-0926-40b8-a472-1b448241f53a

Ecoded:  61653131353566622D303932362D343062382D613437322D3162343438323431663533610A

 Dustin Windibank
 Manager, Software Services
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
519-569-7600 x5062
31 Caroline St. N., Waterloo, ON N2L 2Y5

Peters, Robert

Nov 6, 2018, 9:59:58 AM11/6/18
to dwind...@perimeterinstitute.ca, Demeranville, Tom, Chris Chapman, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
That is a brilliant and simple idea! Thanks Dustin.

Robert Peters
Technology Director at ORCID.org

Cellphone: +1.805.440.9056
Skype: rcpeters