Update to UI display of organizations

Wilmers, Catalina

Nov 29, 2017, 10:21:47 AM11/29/17
to orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
This is a quick note to let you know we have released an update to the user interface for affiliations on ORCID records. Now affiliations that are added with an organizational identifier will have that identifier displayed, as well as additional related identifiers pulled from the organization identifier database. An example of the updated display is attached. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,
-Catalina

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Nov 29, 2017, 10:44:57 AM11/29/17
to orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
This is a very welcome improvement! This will make it easier to spot
cases where the name input by the user does not match the identifier.

But, as far as I can tell, this does not solve the issue I had reported
a while ago as it is still possible to change the name of the
institution after disambiguation. Ideally, the institution ids should be
discarded as soon as the user edits the institution name…

For a quick reminder, the following names were all associated to
ringgold id 14724 in the ORCID 2016 dump (number of occurrences on the
left-hand side):

11 University of Maryland University College
4 University of Catania
3 University of Edinburgh
3 University of Cordoba
2 University of Poitiers
2 University of Zielona Góra
2 University of Ouagadougou
1 University of Bartın
1 University of Genoa
1 University of extremadura
1 University of Zaragoza
1 University of Pavia
1 University of Stockholm
1 UIT The Arctic University of Tromsø
1 University of Reims
1 University of Paris-Saint-Denis
1 University of Macedonia

Antonin

Wilmers, Catalina

Nov 29, 2017, 11:17:59 AM11/29/17
to Antonin Delpeuch (lists), orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonin,

We're working on a process that can correct data where an organization name clearly does not match with the organization id and that complies with our trust policy. This will address the incorrect associations you've brought to our attention as well as others we've found.

We allow users to change the details of an institution to maximize the number of affiliations that are associated with organization identifiers while allowing users to have the institution name display as they want it to. This is important when the user would like the organization name to display in a different language than the official name associated with the identifier, if the institution had a different name when they were associated with it, or they prefer another version of the name. We've looked at our data and most affiliations where the organization name the user provided doesn't match that in the organization identifier database is a translation or alternative name. Hopefully with this update it will be more clear to users when they have selected the wrong organizational identifier entirely so they can correct the assertion.

Best,
-Catalina

George Duimovich

Nov 29, 2017, 2:50:43 PM11/29/17
to ORCID API Users
Hi Catalina,

>> Now affiliations that are added with an organizational identifier will have that identifier displayed,

Answered my own question by testing, but just FWIW -- I've noticed that you may have to re-apply your affiliation to get the identifiers linked and displayable.   In one case I had to edit the affiliation and re-save (and IDs now linked/displayed) -- but in another case I could only get the org ids linked by deleting and re-adding the employment entry.  Of course, this would be edits with affiliations I know have Ringold & INSI IDs.

Will ORCID be doing some search & linking to auto-match definitive links for affiliations and IDs?   For example, someone adds an affiliation with no current ORG ID, but then 1 year later there's an ISNI or other Org ID available for that affiliation -- I assume ORCID will be building some capacity to do retrospective linking for that scenario (for those situations where it can be automated with accuracy)...

Thanks -- this is a great new feature / functionality.

George

Wilmers, Catalina

Nov 29, 2017, 4:20:10 PM11/29/17
to George Duimovich, ORCID API Users
Hi George,

As part of the effort to clean up organization data, we're also looking at adding organization identifiers to existing affiliations when the data matches that in one of the organization identifier databases. We're planning this as a one time effort now, but can consider automating it. Hopefully, with the new interface and the addition of GRID identifiers we'll have fewer affiliations added without identifiers by users and no back filling of identifiers will be needed.

Best,
-Catalina