2.0 API: retrieving all the public contents of a record

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Nov 10, 2017, 11:28:52 AM11/10/17
to orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I started to consider updating Dissemin's ORCID integration to use the
v2.0 API but I am quite perplexed by the new API structure.

Is there any efficient way to retrieve all the public contents in this
new API (in a way that would be similar to the /orcid-profile endpoint
in v1.2)? My understanding is that this is no longer possible.

So, are we just expected to make one HTTP request per Education,
Employment, Work, … as suggested by the RESTful structure of the API?
(So, hundreds of requests for large profiles?) Can we parallelize these
requests to mitigate the inefficiency of this new method?

Cheers,
Antonin

Peters, Robert

Nov 10, 2017, 11:40:18 AM11/10/17
to Antonin Delpeuch (lists), orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonin,
There is one call for a summary https://[HOST]/v2.0/[ORCID]/record. We also offer a bulk read/add for works https://[HOST]/v2.0/[ORCID]/works/[PUT-CODE1],[PUT-CODE2].

Cheers,
Rob

Robert Peters
Technology Director at ORCID.org

Cellphone: +1.805.440.9056
Skype: rcpeters
Timezone: PST
Key for OpenPGP email communication:
https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1519F37D99E18378

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Nov 10, 2017, 11:47:20 AM11/10/17
to Peters, Robert, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your quick reply! Yes I am aware of the summaries, but
unfortunately they do not contain enough metadata for our data model.

Cheers,
Antonin

On 10/11/2017 16:39, Peters, Robert wrote:
> Hi Antonin,
> There is one call for a summary https://[HOST]/v2.0/[ORCID]/record. We
> also offer a bulk read/add for
> works https://[HOST]/v2.0/[ORCID]/works/[PUT-CODE1],[PUT-CODE2].
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
>
> Robert Peters
> Technology Director at ORCID.org <http://ORCID.org>
>
> Cellphone: +1.805.440.9056
> Email: r.pe...@orcid.org <mailto:r.pe...@orcid.org>
> Skype: rcpeters
> Timezone: PST
> Key for OpenPGP email communication:
> https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1519F37D99E18378
>
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Antonin Delpeuch (lists)
> <li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu <mailto:li...@antonin.delpeuch.eu>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I started to consider updating Dissemin's ORCID integration to use the
> v2.0 API but I am quite perplexed by the new API structure.
>
> Is there any efficient way to retrieve all the public contents in this
> new API (in a way that would be similar to the /orcid-profile endpoint
> in v1.2)? My understanding is that this is no longer possible.
>
> So, are we just expected to make one HTTP request per Education,
> Employment, Work, … as suggested by the RESTful structure of the API?
> (So, hundreds of requests for large profiles?) Can we parallelize these
> requests to mitigate the inefficiency of this new method?
>
> Cheers,
> Antonin

Peters, Robert

Nov 10, 2017, 11:51:45 AM11/10/17
to Antonin Delpeuch (lists), orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonin,
Can you explain what is missing if there is also a bulk works endpoint?

Cheers,
Rob

Robert Peters
Technology Director at ORCID.org

Cellphone: +1.805.440.9056
Skype: rcpeters
Timezone: PST
Key for OpenPGP email communication:
https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1519F37D99E18378
>     To post to this group, send email to

Antonin Delpeuch (lists)

Nov 10, 2017, 12:06:04 PM11/10/17
to Peters, Robert, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

That looks much better indeed! Thanks a lot for the clarification. So we
just need a few requests per profile in general. Great!

Cheers,
Antonin