orchid.js -> BibTex export

ulli.s...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2017, 9:01:03 AM8/11/17
to ORCID API Users
I am trying to get the bib text export via orcid.js to work:

I am using the example file on GitHub, exampledownloadbibtex.html

While this works in principle flawlessly in terms of the parsing performed by orchid.js, the resulting BibTex file has a problem:

orchid.js uses the Zotero csl file to convert son into BibTex.  The bibtex.csl (which is baked into orcid.js) uses the author names and the year to generate the cite-key.
This works flawlessly for most author names, but creates a problem whenever author names contain non-ASCII characters:  these make their way into the cite-key.
While BibTeX (and LatTex) can handle non-ASCII characters in most records, the cite-key has to be ASCII.

The way out would be to filter the author names, or to base the cite-key on the DOI field.

Peters, Robert

Aug 11, 2017, 1:37:37 PM8/11/17
to Ulli Gmail, ORCID API Users
Hi Ulli,
Not all works have DOIs. It's also not entirely clear that UTF-8 isn't allowed in cite-keys(https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/359215/utf8-character-in-citation-keys). Is it possible work through this issue with Zotero csl?

Tom Demeranville may also have other insights, but is on vacation for a couple of weeks.

Cheers,
Rob

Robert Peters
Technology Director at ORCID.org

Cellphone: +1.805.440.9056
Skype: rcpeters
Timezone: PST
Key for OpenPGP email communication:
https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1519F37D99E18378

Tom Demeranville

Sep 1, 2017, 8:46:58 AM9/1/17
to ORCID API Users, ulli.s...@gmail.com
Hi Ulli,

This is an interesting catch!  Thanks for finding it.

I'm not sure the best approach to fix it.  I'd rather not modify the bibtex.csl, but don't see any other way to do it.  As Rob says, there's no guarantee a DOI exists.

Tom.

Cheers,
Rob

Ulli Gmail

Sep 3, 2017, 9:37:55 AM9/3/17
to Tom Demeranville, ORCID API Users
Hi Tom,

Thanks.  I will write some type of script that will deal with this problem, when I find some time.

On another note:  Most of the ORCID users at my institute use Endnote.  Is there an equivalent way to download the ORCID citations into a format that can easily be imported into Endnote (the Endnote BibTex import filter seems to be buggy).

Best wishes,

Ulli