Obtain profile details for multiple ORCIDs

Vincent

Mar 12, 2018, 11:04:56 AM3/12/18
to orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

The ORCID API provides a /search endpoint that allows us to, well... Search for ORCIDs. Unfortunately, the results only include the actual ORCID, without additional details that can inform users whether the given results are indeed the ORCIDs they were looking for, such as the name associated with the ID.

Is there a way to obtain some more information for multiple profiles in a single call? I'd prefer not to hammer the API with ten equal calls...

Thanks in advance,
Vincent

Wilmers, Catalina

Mar 12, 2018, 11:57:47 AM3/12/18
to Vincent, ORCID API Users
Hi Vincent,

There's not a way to access multiple ORCID records with a single call. Though, if you only need the name or biographical information for the records, in your API calls you can use the /personal-details or /person endpoint so you don't need to read the entire record for each ORCID iD.

A better option may be to change your workflow. We discourage having users search for and select their ORCID iD from a list as it often leads to incorrect associations, even if additional information like name is included in the results. I'd encourage you to look at the OAuth process for collecting authenticated iDs as that ensures you are getting the correct ORCID iDs for each user. A basic overview is at https://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial/get-orcid-id and we'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

Best,
-Catalina

Vincent

Mar 12, 2018, 12:02:10 PM3/12/18
to Wilmers, Catalina, ORCID API Users
Hi Catalina,

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately, the use case is not one of users finding their own ORCIDs, but to find other researchers and see what works they published that are known to ORCID. Therefore, OAuth unfortunately will not cut it.

I will investigate whether it is possible to do without this feature, and if not, I'll make sure to use /personal-details or /person.

Cheers,
Vincent