Truncated content on v2.0_RC1

Paulo Graça

Oct 19, 2016, 9:47:56 AM10/19/16
to ORCID API Users
Hi,

We are experiencing some problems with content obtained from the API version 2.0_RC1. When fetching activities from the user 0000-0002-2155-5625, we are receiving truncated content.
You can replicate this issue by doing the following (you must replace XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX with a valid token):

curl -H "Content-Type: application/vdn.orcid+xml" -H "Authorization: Bearer XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX" -X GET "https://api.orcid.org/v2.0_rc1/0000-0002-2155-5625/activities" -L -i

You will receive xml content that ends without closing all tags. In this case, It will end with:

                <work:external-identifiers>
                    <work:work-external-identifier>
                        <common:external-identifier-url></common:external-identifier-url>
                        <common:relationship>self</common:relationship>
                        <work:external-identifier-type>other-id</work:external-identifier-type>

Wilmers, Catalina

Oct 19, 2016, 11:04:01 AM10/19/16
to Paulo Graça, ORCID API Users
Hi Paulo,

Thanks for bringing this error to our attention. That record has a work on it which has an empty external identifier, and this is causing the error with reading the record via the 2.0_rc1 API.

It looks like we have a few works with a similar issue- though it's no longer possible to add a work with an empty identifier. We will look into cleaning up these records, but there's a shorter term fix for you. The rc2 version of 2.0 will return the empty common external identifier tags instead of failing. If you can switch to v2.0_rc2 you'll be able to read the entire activities list of this record.

Best,
-Catalina

Paulo Graça

Oct 27, 2016, 7:15:35 AM10/27/16
to Wilmers, Catalina, ORCID API Users
Thank you so much for your answer!

You recommended the use of V2.0_RC2. As refered in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/orcid-api-users/yEBTOqNeBIc, there are no plans for major changes in RC3. For you, why shouldn't we use this version instead?

Best regards,
Paulo Graça