Newbie question about getting an API call to work for the first time

David Taylor

May 26, 2016, 8:55:15 AM5/26/16
to ORCID API Users
Hello everyone!  I'm somewhat experienced calling these sorts of APIs, but have not worked with ORCID before.  I've got a question.  I'm just trying to call the public api for now.  I can get a token, but when I use that token to make a call I keep getting a 405 Method Not Allowed.  Specifically, I'm trying to do these steps which are taken directly from the documentation:

I am (as far as I can tell) following the instructions exactly.  Like I said, the call marked "1" works fine.  When I use the token from Step 1 in Step 2 I get the 405.  Any ideas?  Any debugging tips?  Is this documentation correct or is something missing?

Thanks in advance!

Wilmers, Catalina

May 26, 2016, 12:16:37 PM5/26/16
to David Taylor, ORCID API Users
Hi David,

A couple common issues that return a 405 error are pointing to the wrong API (make sure both the token and the call are to either pub.sandbox.orcid.org or pub.orcid.org) or the wrong method (such as POST instead of GET). For more help than that I'd need to see the call you're making. If you want to send your calls (with the secret and token redacted if you're working on the production API) I'll take a look.

Best,
-Catalina

David Taylor

May 26, 2016, 2:33:45 PM5/26/16
to ORCID API Users, da...@davidtaylorfamily.com
Thanks!  I think you are correct.  I was doing a POST when I should have been doing a GET.

Monica Duke

May 31, 2016, 4:50:49 AM5/31/16
to ORCID API Users

There is a handy list of error codes here as well (slightly buried in the API reference section of the menu)

http://members.orcid.org/api/api-error-codes

Monica

David Taylor

May 31, 2016, 9:05:50 AM5/31/16
to ORCID API Users
Thanks!  Yes, I had actually reviewed this but it didn't help.  It might be worthwhile to add something about mistakenly using POST instead of GET or something like that.  In hindsight, I probably should've understood that from the error message itself, but I didn't.