How to register a production application

Cristian Zoicas

Jun 21, 2016, 3:46:24 AM6/21/16
to ORCID API Users
Hello all

We have implemented ORCID authentication for our application. During the
development process  we used the sandbox  registry and in rare  case the
production registry.  In order to be  able to use the  public API during
the development process I had to  register for several sandbox ORCID IDs
and one production ORCID ID (personally  as a developer) and to register
my application. That  was fine during the development  process.  But now
we plan to go  into production.  And I do not know what  options I have to
register the production  application. My doubts are raised because I do
not think  that it would be appropriate  form my  institution to run the
production application as being registered by myself as a developer.
Should my  insitution register for an  ORCID ID only to have the possibility
of registering the application in order to support ORCID authentication.

Best regards
Cristian

Wilmers, Catalina

Jun 21, 2016, 9:24:17 AM6/21/16
to Cristian Zoicas, ORCID API Users
Hi Cristian,

If you're looking at using the Public API you should create an ORCID iD for yourself (or if you already have one use that) and use the Developer Tools section of the record to register for Public API credentials. All Public API credentials are registered to individuals.

Institutions should not create ORCID iDs for themselves, and getting credentials assigned to an institution is a benefit of ORCID membership.

Best,
-Catalina

Cristian Zoicas

Jun 21, 2016, 9:47:44 AM6/21/16
to ORCID API Users, cristia...@gmail.com

Hi Cristian,

If you're looking at using the Public API you should create an ORCID iD for yourself (or if you already have one use that) and use the Developer Tools section of the record to register for Public API credentials. All Public API credentials are registered to individuals.

Institutions should not create ORCID iDs for themselves, and getting credentials assigned to an institution is a benefit of ORCID membership.

Thank you for your reply.

We do not have here authors or people interested in having an ORCIDI ID, but in
such a case it seems that the only choice we have is to create
an ORCID ID for our production environment. Right? Even if the ORCID
ID will not be assigned to any person and nobody will benefit from the
advantages and ORCID ID offers. The only entity who will ever use it is
our production environment and the only use of it will be the registration
of some applications. However, it seem to me that in such a case the
ORCID ID will be somehow wasted and not used at its full potential.

Best regards
Cristian Zoicas

Wilmers, Catalina

Jun 21, 2016, 10:05:27 AM6/21/16
to Cristian Zoicas, ORCID API Users
Hi,

You will need to create a personal ORCID iD, even if you only use it for generating Public API credentials. The Public API credentials must be associated with a personal ORCID account. It's up to you if you would like to also populate the ORCID record with your personal information and otherwise use that iD.

Best,
-Catalina