Integrating with Ceph

Matt Ray

Feb 6, 2014, 8:12:09 PM2/6/14
to Chef-OpenStack
Looking at the blueprint for Ceph integration and the various reviews
that have been submitted, I'd like to discuss what we can do to get
the best Ceph experience with our cookbooks. A number of us plan on
deploying Ceph and I dislike the assumption that it is installed
externally. While it's not officially an OpenStack component we may
want to host a cookbook for it in StackForge to take advantage of the
review process. Assuming we want to start with the cookbook from
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-cookbooks, I'd be happy to reach out to
maintainers to help facilitate collaboration. If someone else has a
different set of cookbooks they'd like to propose, please do.

This would impact the Ceph-related reviews currently in progress, but
we should sort this out.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-chef/+spec/rbd-for-block-storage

Thanks,
Matt Ray
Cloud Integrations Product Lead :: Chef
512.731.2218 :: ma...@getchef.com
mattray :: GitHub :: IRC :: Twitter

Salman A Baset

Feb 6, 2014, 8:19:16 PM2/6/14
to opscode-che...@googlegroups.com

Can a similar argument apply to components external to OpenStack, e.g., other clustered file systems, HA options, that are needed for a complete deployment?

I am personally in favor of including Ceph but first, it may be worthwhile discussing non-OpenStack component integration in stackforge in general.

Thanks
Salman

Inactive hide details for Matt Ray ---02/06/2014 08:12:57 PM---Looking at the blueprint for Ceph integration and the various reMatt Ray ---02/06/2014 08:12:57 PM---Looking at the blueprint for Ceph integration and the various reviews that have been submitted, I'd

Matt Ray

Feb 6, 2014, 8:50:26 PM2/6/14
to Chef-OpenStack
If there are other open source projects that implement OpenStack APIs that we want to support I'm open to it (Gluster, Riak?). The pattern would probably be similar to how ops-database and ops-messaging work (attributes in openstack-common, implementations in optional cookbooks).

Something like "cookbook-openstack-alt-ceph" could provide recipes that get called via attribute from the block and object storage cookbooks and wrap the upstream cookbook. If the upstream cookbook maintainers are unresponsive to pull requests, we could fork it to StackForge (or opscode-cookbooks).

Undoubtedly there will be other similar projects we want to include or cookbooks we want to break out (hypervisors, sdn providers, storage) so I expect how we handle Ceph will provide an example for future integrations.

Thanks,
Matt Ray
Cloud Integrations Product Lead :: Chef
512.731.2218 :: ma...@getchef.com
mattray :: GitHub :: IRC :: Twitter

graycol.gif

Abel Lopez

Feb 11, 2014, 3:00:01 PM2/11/14
to opscode-che...@googlegroups.com
Can't we just have some meta-role that includes the inktank cookbooks?
At that point, we could just reference their attributes, no?

Matt Ray

Feb 11, 2014, 4:44:43 PM2/11/14
to Chef-OpenStack
We could definitely have a meta-role, it just seems that if more than
1 of us are considering using them we may want to put a coordinated
effort into "fixing" them if necessary for our usage.

Thanks,
Matt Ray
Cloud Integrations Product Lead :: Chef
512.731.2218 :: ma...@getchef.com
mattray :: GitHub :: IRC :: Twitter

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/opscode-chef-openstack/589ad53f-edca-41a4-ba8e-b04edb887094%40googlegroups.com.

Darren Birkett

Feb 12, 2014, 9:13:14 AM2/12/14
to opscode-che...@googlegroups.com
I'd definitely say the chef-cookbooks for ceph are a second class citizen to the puppet modules.  I'd be all for 'adopting' them into this community so that they have a chef focused group of folk maintaining them.

Abel Lopez

Feb 21, 2014, 7:26:15 PM2/21/14
to opscode-che...@googlegroups.com, ky...@inktank.com
I actually just had a conversation with Kyle from Inktank about the possibility of bring ceph-cookbooks to stackforge.

Seeing as there is already a stackforge puppet module for ceph, seems like the precedent is already there

Matt Ray

Feb 23, 2014, 3:35:31 PM2/23/14
to Chef-OpenStack
I talked with him too and looked at puppet-ceph vs. their other
modules. Carl Perry also told me that the swift-proxy API has been
separated from the implementation of Swift for Icehouse, so Ceph will
have an easier integration point going forward.

Given this development, I feel that OpenStack-specific recipes for
Ceph should end up in the block and object storage cookbooks, with a
separate Ceph cookbook for general setup and configuration. Even
though this general cookbook for Ceph wouldn't be OpenStack-specific,
we're likely to be the most involved users of the ceph cookbook so I
think we should get it added to StackForge for the benefit of easier
testing and integration.

TL;DR:
I propose that we add a "cookbook-ceph" repository to StackForge and
the OpenStack bits go in the block and object storage cookbooks.