PaxExam fails to run on Java 8?

Richard Bair

Mar 28, 2014, 1:56:13 PM3/28/14
to op...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are looking to try to use PaxExam for running OSGi tests (using TestNG). We have managed to get a simple example running on Java 7, however our project uses Java 8, and with Java 8 we are getting the following in our log:

Gradle test > foo.AbstractApplicationTest.testUUIDIdempotency STANDARD_ERROR
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle org.ops4j.pax.exam.extender.service [3]: Unable to resolve 3.0: missing requirement [3.0] package; (&(package=org.ops4j.pax.swis
sbox.core)(version>=1.6.0)(!(version>=2.0.0))) [caused by: Unable to resolve 7.0: missing requirement [7.0] package; (&(package=org.ops4j.lang)(version>=1.4.0)) [caused by: Unable to resolve 6.0: miss
ing requirement [6.0] package; (package=javax.net.ssl)]]
at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundle(Felix.java:3564)
at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1797)
at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1192)
at org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:266)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

I'm wondering if anybody has done any testing of PaxExam on Java 8 yet? It looks like a manifest entry that maybe needs to be updated? What is the release schedule for PaxExam, how long would it be between a fix and an official release?

Thanks
Richard

Harald Wellmann

Apr 1, 2014, 9:44:19 AM4/1/14
to OPS4J Mailing Lists
I would guess the problem is related to Felix, not to Pax Exam. I've run parts of Pax Exam's own regression tests under Java 8 and Equinox without problems.

Felix contains a properties file defining the system packages per Java release. I'm seeing similar messages with Felix 4.0.2, which does not provide package definitions for Java 8.

Hope that helps,
Harald

Richard Bair

Apr 1, 2014, 9:09:58 PM4/1/14
to op...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Harald, I will check that out.

Richard

Harald Wellmann

Apr 29, 2014, 3:43:06 PM4/29/14
to op...@googlegroups.com
For the record, Felix 4.4.0 is working fine with Java 1.8.0_05 (tested
with Pax Exam 3.5.0).

Best regards,
Harald