Whole Brain Emulation Journal Club: Looking for Panelists

Ben Shih

Oct 9, 2015, 4:43:35 PM10/9/15
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

We've got a journal club coming up on Nov 13 with Randal Koene and colleagues on whole brain emulation. We're looking for 3-4 folks to join us in the room as panelists to ask questions. Please email me back if you're interested, thanks!

Event link: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/117948341754627144949/events/cv9l18020h2cc0doj62h29errn0?n=1

Ben

Tom Portegys

Oct 9, 2015, 5:19:21 PM10/9/15
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,
Can you put me on a standby list? At this point I don't know if work will rudely interfere!
Thanks,
Tom Portegys

--
Visit us online at:
http://openworm.org

benj...@openworm.org

Oct 11, 2015, 3:37:53 PM10/11/15
to OpenWorm-discuss
Sure thing, Tom. Let us know when you find out.

Ben

Bryan Bishop

Oct 11, 2015, 5:15:48 PM10/11/15
to openworm...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Ben Shih <benj...@openworm.org> wrote:
We've got a journal club coming up on Nov 13 with Randal Koene and colleagues on whole brain emulation. We're looking for 3-4 folks to join us in the room as panelists to ask questions. Please email me back if you're interested, thanks!

Here are some questions ahead of time. These were partly assembled from questions mentioned in the hplusroadmap IRC channel:

- what would be the ideal research/development strategy if you had a $10B budget? someone already got most of a $1B budget, so question isn't too outlandish.

- is there going to be an update to the whole brain emulation roadmap report from 2007-2008?

- eventual fate of modeldb, or expected future growth in number of electrophysiological models in modeldb, and utility for brain emulation projects? same questions for ionchanneldb

- ideal modeldb fidelity level? what properties and characteristics are missing?

- current open-source brain emulation software efforts?

- ideal architectures for brain emulation software?

- status of netmorph?

- opinions regarding markram's statistical voxel reconstruction approach for placing neurons? or still need high-fidelity scanning results?

- most interesting recent papers? or upcoming

- speculative biology question, what simplifications in neural biology would make brain emulation research/software development/computational feasibility easier?

benj...@openworm.org

Oct 28, 2015, 6:14:14 AM10/28/15
to OpenWorm-discuss, kan...@gmail.com
Hi all,

Bryan, thanks for your list of questions! We'll be sure to keep them on hand for the hangout.

We're still looking for additional panelists, so if anyone's interested, please let us know!

Thanks,
Ben

Tom Portegys

Oct 28, 2015, 2:15:08 PM10/28/15