Longest neuron in C. elegans?

giovanni.idili

Mar 4, 2013, 8:01:49 PM3/4/13
Do you guys know for sure if it is it avdl / avdr? And if so what is their function.

Found this question on stackexchange cog-sci and made me curious - if you know the answer feel free to answer on that site too! :)

Stephen Larson

Mar 4, 2013, 2:29:41 PM3/4/13
to openworm-discuss, Chris Grove
Chris Grove might have an idea.

Thanks,
  Stephen

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM, giovanni.idili <giovann...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it avdl / avdr? And if so what is their function.

Found this question on stackexchange biology - I'd like to answer pointing to the OpenWorm browser to promote the project :)

InterIntelligence Research

Mar 4, 2013, 3:10:32 PM3/4/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Per the spreadsheet I provided:

AVDL/R:
Command interneuron. Functions as touch modulator for backward locomotion induced by head-touch. Drives backward movement of the animal along with driver cell AVA neuron, AVE and A-type motor neurons

Tim

Stephen Larson

Mar 4, 2013, 3:21:21 PM3/4/13
to openworm-discuss
Cool.  How do we know it is the longest?

InterIntelligence Research

Mar 4, 2013, 3:26:19 PM3/4/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I should have gone to the link - didn't see the original question. Chris?

Christian A Grove

Mar 4, 2013, 3:27:58 PM3/4/13
to ste...@openworm.org, openworm-discuss

Hi,

This partly depends on your definition of "length" in this context. In
terms of largest amount of total axon/dendrite length, this would most
probably be the PVDL/PVDR sensory neurons. They produce a large number of
branches of dendrites that act to perceive mechano- and thermosensation.
See the WormAtlas page here:

http://wormatlas.org/neurons/Individual%20Neurons/PVDframeset.html

If by "length" one means, absolute longest extension from head to tail,
that's a tougher call, as there are several that extend from the head to
the tail.

Cheers,

Chris

> Chris Grove might have an idea.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen
>

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM, giovanni.idili
> <giovann...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Is it avdl / avdr? And if so what is their function.
>> Found this question on stackexchange
>> biology<http://cogsci.stackexchange.com/questions/3226/in-c-elegans-which-neuron-has-the-largest-span-and-why-is-it-this-large>

Stephen Larson

Mar 4, 2013, 3:30:47 PM3/4/13
to Christian A Grove, openworm-discuss
Thank you!!

Eugen Leitl

Mar 4, 2013, 4:13:28 PM3/4/13
On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 11:29:41AM -0800, Stephen Larson wrote:
> Chris Grove might have an idea.

Speaking about long neurons, or long shots, any idea
how difficult http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymnaea_stagnalis
is going to be? 20 kNeurons, all in one location.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Lymnaea_stagnalis_central_ring_ganglia.jpg

I'll probably even will be able to obtain an entire connectome,
via 3scan. The physical simulator and the environment for the
snail and the worm should not be all that different.

InterIntelligence Research

Mar 4, 2013, 4:16:23 PM3/4/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Couple of other good pages from taking Christian's lead,

Tim

Giovanni Idili

Mar 4, 2013, 4:17:03 PM3/4/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris / Tim / everybody. I will go ahead and aggregate this info into a reply to that question pointing to WormBase and OpenWorm - unless anybody else wants to do it!

giovanni.idili

Mar 4, 2013, 8:23:29 PM3/4/13
to openworm...@googlegroups.com
Posted a reply quoting Chris and Tim. Hope you like it!