subsnapshot importer

jagwire

Oct 26, 2010, 12:25:07 PM10/26/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Tomorrow (Wednesday), community developers will continue working on
the import process of subsnapshots. Come and see what all the buzz is
about!

Server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080/
Time: 1pm - 2pm EDT

hope to see you there,
jW

jagwire

Nov 9, 2010, 12:19:17 PM11/9/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Work will continue on subsnapshots this week, hope to see you there!

Facebook event can be found here:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?
eid=147821788597369&index=1

Date: Nov 10th, 2010
Time: 1pm EST
Place: Server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080/

jW

jagwire

Nov 15, 2010, 8:16:57 PM11/15/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Last week we began development of uploading resources packaged with
the subsnapshot archives into the WebDAV. We will continue with more
of the same this week for more fun in Wonderland. In observance of
Thanksgiving in the U.S. there will be no Wonderland Wednesday meeting
next, but we will resume the week after in exploring the new
Wonderland default worlds!

The facebook event for this week (Wednesday November 17th, 2010) can
be found here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170698199624529
The facebook event for December 1st can be found here:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=107937855942839

As an aside for the meeting on December 1st, it's important to note
that we will be using http://owf2.virtualnorthstar.org:8080/ as the
venue instead of http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080/ .

Hope to see everyone there!
jW

Josmas Flores

Nov 17, 2010, 2:23:21 PM11/17/10
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Guys, although there will be a break of two weeks for this project
(due to thanksgiving and other plans for the Wednesday meeting), Bob
and myself will probably be around next week at the usual time. We
will confirm before Weds anyway, but please feel free to join us if
you are not busy chasing after turkeys or the likes :D

cheers,
José

jagwire

Dec 5, 2010, 1:59:56 PM12/5/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hey everyone,

We'll be continuing development on subsnapshots this Wednesday
December 8th, 2010 at 1pm Eastern.

Subsnapshot Development
owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080
1pm Eastern Standard Time

See facebook event here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=167474276625220&num_event_invites=0

hope to see you there!
jW

On Nov 17, 1:23 pm, Josmas Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys, although there will be a break of two weeks for this project
> (due to thanksgiving and other plans for the Wednesday meeting), Bob
> and myself will probably be around next week at the usual time. We
> will confirm before Weds anyway, but please feel free to join us if
> you are not busy chasing after turkeys or the likes :D
>
> cheers,
> José
>
> On 16 November 2010 01:16, jagwire <rnb...@mizzou.edu> wrote:
>
> > Last week we began development of uploading resources packaged with
> > thesubsnapshotarchives into the WebDAV. We will continue with more

jagwire

Dec 13, 2010, 7:27:34 PM12/13/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Subsnapshot development will continue once again this Wednesday
December 15th, 2010 at 1pm Eastern Standard Time!

Subsnapshot Development
owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080
1pm Eastern Standard Time

Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=174627795891820&num_event_invites=0#!/event.php?eid=174627795891820

regards,
jW

On Dec 5, 12:59 pm, jagwire <rnb...@mizzou.edu> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> We'll be continuing development on subsnapshots this Wednesday
> December 8th, 2010 at 1pm Eastern.
>
> Subsnapshot Development
> owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080
> 1pm Eastern Standard Time
>
> See facebook event here:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=167474276625220&num_event_invit...

jagwire

Dec 20, 2010, 5:50:59 PM12/20/10
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hey everyone,

We're going to sneak in one more Wonderland Wednesday Subsnapshot
party in before the Christmas holidays. Please join us on Wednesday
December 22nd, at 1pm Eastern Standard time on the community server

On Dec 13, 6:27 pm, jagwire <rnb...@mizzou.edu> wrote:
> Subsnapshot development will continue once again this Wednesday
> December 15th, 2010 at 1pm Eastern Standard Time!
>
> Subsnapshot Development
> owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080
> 1pm Eastern Standard Time
>
> Facebook event:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=174627795891820&num_event_invit...

jagwire

Jan 3, 2011, 7:48:31 PM1/3/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hey everyone,

Shortly before the holidays, the subsnapshot developers began showing
some exciting results. We were able to successfully export and import
a cell. Come join us this Wednesday, January 5th 2010 at 1pm EST and
see for yourself!

Facebook event for reference: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=178052718893851&num_event_invites=0

best!
jW

jagwire

Jan 17, 2011, 12:57:46 AM1/17/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Subsnapshot development will continue this Wednesday January 19th,
2011 from 1pm EST to 2pm EST on the community server (http://
owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080/).

Hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=176183172417524

On Jan 3, 6:48 pm, jagwire <rnb...@mizzou.edu> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Shortly before the holidays, the subsnapshot developers began showing
> some exciting results. We were able to successfully export and import
> a cell. Come join us this Wednesday, January 5th 2010 at 1pm EST and
> see for yourself!
>
> Facebook event for reference:http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=178052718893851&num_event_invit...

jagwire

Jan 24, 2011, 5:49:45 PM1/24/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
More fun with subsnapshot development will occur on Wednesday January
26th, 2011 from 1pm EST to 2pm EST on the community server:
http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

See you there!
jW
facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=188041034548047&ref=mf

jagwire

Feb 1, 2011, 3:53:10 PM2/1/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Subsnapshot development will continue this Wednesday February 2nd,
2011 from 1pm EST to 2pm EST on the community server:
http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

If I don't lose power from the blizzard, I'll see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=195732940440031&index=1

jagwire

Feb 14, 2011, 2:27:20 PM2/14/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
More fun with Subsnapshots is scheduled to occur this Wednesday
February 16th, 2011 at 1pm EST to 2pm EST on the community server:
http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

Hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198555020169937

jagwire

Feb 22, 2011, 1:39:03 AM2/22/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Subsnapshot development and testing will continue this Wednesday
February 23rd, 2011 at 1pm EST to 2pm EST on the community sever:
facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=153886561334713

jagwire

Feb 28, 2011, 11:45:06 AM2/28/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hey everyone,

Subsnapshot development will continue this Wednesday as we test
exporting and importing Models to and from Wonderland. We will meet on
the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080 on
Wednesday March 2nd, 2011 at 1pm EST. I've posted the facebook event
but got some weird error messages so if you're unable to access the
facebook event please let me know!

Hope to see everyone there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/create.php?gid=401005445224#!/event.php?eid=114535781955996

jagwire

Mar 7, 2011, 4:55:13 PM3/7/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Everyone,

This Wednesday March 9th, 2011 from 1pm to 2pm EST we will be testing
the ability to export and import a model to and from wonderland via
the subsnapshots project. Come see our progress!

We will be meeting the community server at: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=186411261395269&index=1

On Feb 28, 10:45 am, jagwire <rnb...@mizzou.edu> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Subsnapshot development will continue this Wednesday as we test
> exporting and importing Models to and from Wonderland. We will meet on
> the community server:http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080on
> Wednesday March 2nd, 2011 at 1pm EST. I've posted the facebook event
> but got some weird error messages so if you're unable to access the
> facebook event please let me know!
>
> Hope to see everyone there!
> jW
>
> facebook event:http://www.facebook.com/events/create.php?gid=401005445224#!/event.ph...

Nussbaum-Jones, Nina

Mar 7, 2011, 4:58:31 PM3/7/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Do you know if there have been any recent changes to the core for importing models that may have tripped me up today?

Jonathan Kaplan

Mar 8, 2011, 11:58:00 AM3/8/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com, Nussbaum-Jones, Nina
There have been a few core changes for models recently, including the new system for marking objects as collidable and selectable (which is now in the basic properties for all cells). These changes are more likely to affect existing worlds than new models you are bringing in, although they are designed to be backwards compatible, and have been tested on the community servers.  owf1 at least is running the very latest code, and we haven't had any trouble importing models on that server.

jagwire

Mar 14, 2011, 11:54:57 AM3/14/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Testing and development will resume this Wednesday, March 16th, 2011
at 1pm EDT. Please note the time change due to Daylight Savings time.

For more information, see the facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=190176954351438

best,
jW

On Mar 8, 11:58 am, Jonathan Kaplan <jonathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There have been a few core changes for models recently, including the new
> system for marking objects as collidable and selectable (which is now in the
> basic properties for all cells). These changes are more likely to affect
> existing worlds than new models you are bringing in, although they are
> designed to be backwards compatible, and have been tested on the community
> servers.  owf1 at least is running the very latest code, and we haven't had
> any trouble importing models on that server.
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Nussbaum-Jones, Nina <

> > owf2.virtualnorthstar.org:8080/asthe

jagwire

Mar 28, 2011, 9:31:41 PM3/28/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Testing will continue this Wednesday March 30th, 2011 at 1pm EDT.

For more information, see the event on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=212394712109785

best regards,
jW

> read more »

jagwire

Apr 4, 2011, 12:15:20 PM4/4/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hey everyone,

This Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 at 1pm EDT we'll be holding a brief
discussion on NPCs and animations before continuing with Subsnapshots.
The discussion should last about 15 minutes with Subsnapshot
collaboration occurring for the remaining 45 minutes.

Hope to see you there!
jW

see facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=140874795982123

> read more »

jagwire

Apr 11, 2011, 10:34:17 PM4/11/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hey everyone,

We'll be working on Subsnapshots again this April 13th, 2011 at 1pm
EDT

hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=116789551734616

> read more »

jagwire

Apr 20, 2011, 12:07:44 AM4/20/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
I just realized I forgot to announce the Wonderland Wednesday event
this week!

Tomorrow(Wednesday April19th, 2011) we'll be trying to finish up the
subsnapshots project by implementing support for cells in containers!
Join us at 1pm EDT on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

sorry for the late notice, hope to see you there!
jW

> read more »

jagwire

Apr 26, 2011, 3:24:50 PM4/26/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hi everyone,

Subsnapshots development will continue this Wednesday (tomorrow) April
27th, 2011 at 1pm EDT.

See you on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080
!

jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=167635553294465

> read more »

jagwire

May 2, 2011, 12:50:12 PM5/2/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hello,

Subsnapshots development will continue this Wednesday May 4th, 2011 at
1pm EDT on our community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=207577939264164

> read more »

Carl Jokl

May 3, 2011, 4:08:59 AM5/3/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
I might have thought we would have been doing something more Star Wars
related on Star Wars day.

> read more »

jagwire

May 9, 2011, 2:04:01 PM5/9/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
More subsnapshot fun is to be had this Wednesday, May 11th, 2011 from
1pm-2pm EDT on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=149647675104724

> read more »

jagwire

May 17, 2011, 1:37:21 PM5/17/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Even more fun is to be had this Wednesday (tomorrow) May 18th, 2011 at
1pm EDT on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080
.

Hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=162021840528727

On May 3, 3:08 am, Carl Jokl <carl.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

> read more »

jagwire

May 23, 2011, 11:03:12 PM5/23/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Development of subsnapshots has wrapped up and now it's time to plan
what comes next! Join us on Wednesday, May 25th, from 1-2pm EDT to
plan and discuss what we will work on next! We will be meeting again

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=204734732895342

> read more »

Josmas Flores

May 24, 2011, 4:12:43 AM5/24/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I'll miss this one due to travelling (Volcanic Ash permitting!) :S
pick a good one! :)

cheers,
Jos

jagwire

May 31, 2011, 1:01:00 PM5/31/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hello!

Because we had so many great ideas last week, we were only able to get
through half of them! This week we will continue with the second half
of the ideas and hopefully pick one to begin planning and developing
at future meetings. All are welcome to attend this Wednesday June 1st,

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=165233776873180

On May 3, 3:08 am, Carl Jokl <carl.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

> read more »

Nicole Yankelovich

May 31, 2011, 2:24:54 PM5/31/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I posted a notice about this meeting on the blog:

http://blogs.openwonderland.org/2011/05/31/next-wonderland-wednesday-project/

While doing that, I also added the text from the Card Wall to the
Community Wiki:

http://faithhold.dyndns.org:8080/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Wonderland%20Wednesday%20Project%20Ideas

We can replace this text with the results of tomorrow's session.

Nicole.

>> read more �

Josmas Flores

May 31, 2011, 2:37:39 PM5/31/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I just had a look at the ideas and they are all fantastic, but I have
a bit of a concern: they are all quite BIG!

Subsnapshots was a long project and my concern with this is that if
you miss on a couple of sessions, then you might feel that you have a
lot to do to catch up, and decide to wait for the next one. If the
projects were smaller, people could join in anytime, and even if you
miss on one, there will be another one in a couple of weeks that you
can catch from the start. Not sure I'm explaining myself correctly but
in any case, what do you guys think? could the projects be subdivided
somehow?

cheers,
José

>>> read more »

jagwire

Jun 6, 2011, 8:02:52 PM6/6/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hey everyone,

Last week we finally narrowed down our choices of features to begin
during Wonderland Wednesday meetings. This Wednesday June 8th, 2011
from 1pm to 2pm EDT, we will be making our selection! Come and give
your input on which feature to develop next!

hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103333189760798

On May 31, 1:37 pm, Josmas Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I just had a look at the ideas and they are all fantastic, but I have
> a bit of a concern: they are all quite BIG!
>
> Subsnapshots was a long project and my concern with this is that if
> you miss on a couple of sessions, then you might feel that you have a
> lot to do to catch up, and decide to wait for the next one. If the
> projects were smaller, people could join in anytime, and even if you
> miss on one, there will be another one in a couple of weeks that you
> can catch from the start. Not sure I'm explaining myself correctly but
> in any case, what do you guys think? could the projects be subdivided
> somehow?
>
> cheers,
> José
>
> On 31 May 2011 19:24, Nicole Yankelovich <nic...@yankelovich.ws> wrote:
>

> > I posted a notice about this meeting on the blog:
>
> >http://blogs.openwonderland.org/2011/05/31/next-wonderland-wednesday-...
>
> > While doing that, I also added the text from the Card Wall to the Community
> > Wiki:
>
> >http://faithhold.dyndns.org:8080/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Wonderland%20W...
>
> read more »

Jonathan Kaplan

Jun 7, 2011, 12:58:24 AM6/7/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
For those of you unable to attend the meetings, you can see all the ideas we discussed here:

Of those ideas, we narrowed our choices down to our top five. Please feel free to comment on any pros and cons of those top five ideas in this thread.

jagwire

Jun 13, 2011, 3:42:02 PM6/13/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hello!

Last week we decided on the next Wonderland Wednesday developer
project: EZMove! EZMove aims to make world building easier with better
movement and orientation affordances. We will be meeting to begin
development this Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 from 1pm to 2pm EDT on our
community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080. All are
welcome to attend!

hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=173260646068337

On Jun 6, 11:58 pm, Jonathan Kaplan <jonathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For those of you unable to attend the meetings, you can see all the ideas we
> discussed here:
>
> http://faithhold.dyndns.org:8080/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Wonderland%20W...
>
> read more »

Nussbaum-Jones, Nina

Jun 13, 2011, 4:18:43 PM6/13/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Just for world building? Or is this something we can use for moving sticky notes, images, and other things around as users? Just curious....

jagwire

Jun 13, 2011, 4:32:01 PM6/13/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Nina,

Same idea, I think. Easily moving and orienting objects around while
in-world is the key here.

best,
jW

On Jun 13, 3:18 pm, "Nussbaum-Jones, Nina" <nina.nussbaum-

> read more »

Nicole Yankelovich

Jun 13, 2011, 5:20:39 PM6/13/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Nina,

Absolutely! The basic idea for the project is to make it easier to move
things around. Of course, this is a big win for world builders who are
constantly moving things around, but will also make it possible for end
users to reposition items. I guess you'd better come to the meeting on
Wednesday to make sure you're happy with the preliminary design concept :-)

Nicole.

>> read more �

Nussbaum-Jones, Nina

Jun 14, 2011, 8:01:31 AM6/14/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I will absolutely do my best to get there. I'm trying to get a new person on board, so I have to go into the office most days. :(

Thanks!!
-Nina-

Nina,

Nicole.

>> read more »

Josmas Flores

Jun 14, 2011, 8:45:46 AM6/14/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a great new project! won't miss this one! :)

Jos

On 14 June 2011 13:01, Nussbaum-Jones, Nina

Bob

Jun 14, 2011, 1:18:40 PM6/14/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking it might be funny to grab someone's avatar and run with it, but I wonder what would happen if you grabbed a cell people were sitting or standing on.  They would probably fall off.

It might be kind of cool to give tours, but portals and a follow avatar feature would be more practical.

Josmas Flores

Jun 15, 2011, 5:49:09 PM6/15/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
hey guys, apologies about appearing and disappearing from the meeting
today... had an electrician in the house poking with the boiler :S
i can see the project in github so will catch up for next week.

cheers,
José

jagwire

Jun 21, 2011, 11:42:32 AM6/21/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hello!

Development on EZMove will continue this Wednesday (tomorrow) June
22nd, 2011 from 1pm - 2pm EDT on the community server:

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=210859772285130

On Jun 15, 4:49 pm, Josmas Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hey guys, apologies about appearing and disappearing from the meeting
> today... had an electrician in the house poking with the boiler :S
> i can see the project in github so will catch up for next week.
>
> cheers,
> José

jagwire

Jun 27, 2011, 4:43:35 PM6/27/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hiya!

EZMove development will continue this Wednesday June 29th, 2011 from
1pm to 2pm EDT on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=226491994041143

jagwire

Jul 11, 2011, 10:20:58 PM7/11/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hello,

EZMove development will proceed this Wednesday July 13th, 2011 from
1pm to 2pm EDT on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=190078084382634

Josmas Flores

Jul 12, 2011, 6:53:40 AM7/12/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, the date linked in the note on the facebook event is 23
March 2011... can be confusing due to daylight savings... please keep
that in mind! :)

Jos

Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin)

Jul 12, 2011, 11:20:19 AM7/12/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I may actually be able to show up this time; I'm working from home tomorrow.

jagwire

Jul 18, 2011, 4:30:41 PM7/18/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
More fun with EZMove development on Wednesday July 20th, 2011 from 1pm
to 2pm EDT on http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

See you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=230797510285493

On Jul 12, 10:20 am, "Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin) "

jagwire

Jul 25, 2011, 4:11:34 PM7/25/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
This week we'll be testing a fix we made last week and moving on with
development of EZMove. We'll meet on Wednesday July 27th, 2011 from
see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=222534307790489

On Jul 18, 3:30 pm, jagwire <rnb...@mizzou.edu> wrote:
> More fun with EZMove development on Wednesday July 20th, 2011 from 1pm
> to 2pm EDT onhttp://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

jagwire

Aug 1, 2011, 1:28:29 PM8/1/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
We are cruising through EZMove, come see our progress on Wednesday
August 3rd, 2011 from 1pm to 2pm EDT on the community server:
http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

see you then!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170465843025906

On Jul 25, 3:11 pm, jagwire <rnb...@mizzou.edu> wrote:
> This week we'll be testing a fix we made last week and moving on with
> development of EZMove. We'll meet on Wednesday July 27th, 2011 from
> 1pm to 2pm EDT onhttp://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

Ric Moore

Aug 3, 2011, 3:55:33 PM8/3/11
On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 10:28 -0700, jagwire wrote:
> We are cruising through EZMove, come see our progress on Wednesday
> August 3rd, 2011 from 1pm to 2pm EDT on the community server:
> http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

Wow! Just got into a pushing/shoving match with HughesNet. I just
installed the new updated satellite modem they sent me, but I still have
the same problem... I have to turn off the turbo page option it has in
order to run the owl client. That option does on-the-fly compression and
for whatever reason, java web-start doesn't make the trip through it.
The tech support monkey I talked to said I solved my problem by turning
off turbo page, and I said that didn't solve my problem as I don't want
inmates dinking with it and that someone at Hughes might want to look
into it... it went down hill from there.

Plus, since I'm starting off with fresh logs, to start the owl client
from owf1 it eats up about 50 megs worth of download. Is there someway
to store/send those files in .zip or .gz files and uncompress them on
our ends?? That would save a bunch of bandwidth. Jus my two cents, Ric

Linux user# 44256

Ric Moore

Aug 3, 2011, 3:56:55 PM8/3/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 10:28 -0700, jagwire wrote:
> We are cruising through EZMove, come see our progress on Wednesday
> August 3rd, 2011 from 1pm to 2pm EDT on the community server:
> http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

Jeeeezzzz!!! I amend my last statement, it's 70+ megs for the initial
start up. It's hardly light weight. Zipping the .jar files would be a
very good idea. :) Ric

Bob Potter

Aug 3, 2011, 4:10:59 PM8/3/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
OWF1 has a lot of modules and as such is not a lightweight world.  Zipping jars won't help as a JAR is already a zip file.  I believe that is the same with many of the models.  It might be a good idea for us to clean up owf1 a bit to make it a little more lightweight.

Bob

Margaret Leber

Aug 3, 2011, 4:13:30 PM8/3/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com

Ric-

.jar files are .zips :-)

Josmas Flores

Aug 3, 2011, 4:25:47 PM8/3/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
+1 for spring cleaning!

owf1 is the world that many new users experience for the first time
ever (even if it's not its purpose) so clean and lean would be good.

cheers,
José

Ric Moore

Aug 3, 2011, 4:42:00 PM8/3/11
On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 21:25 +0100, Josmas Flores wrote:
> +1 for spring cleaning!
>
> owf1 is the world that many new users experience for the first time
> ever (even if it's not its purpose) so clean and lean would be good.

Yesterday I loaded the Imprudence client for OSgrid and connected within
minutes seeing stuff. Even through this stinkin' satellite modem. We
really need to background the loading processes in favor of getting the
client to where he sees something besides a blank screen for 5-10
minutes or, as in my case, nothing at all. Almost 80 megs of zipped
files? Windows 3.1 wasn't that big. :( Ric

Ric Moore

Aug 3, 2011, 5:16:39 PM8/3/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 21:25 +0100, Josmas Flores wrote:
> +1 for spring cleaning!
>
> owf1 is the world that many new users experience for the first time
> ever (even if it's not its purpose) so clean and lean would be good.
>
> cheers,
> José

On my fourth attempt I finally got in. Methinks that the server was
really bogged down the first couple of times I tried as I have changed
nothing on this end, except to enable logging and traces. Client update
chores really need to be offloaded from the server chores to another
server before the user becomes passed to the main server, that much is a
certainty. Now, I'm the only person here... shot an entire afternoon on
trying to get in. And, since I'm in, what I had originally works.
<sighs> Ric

Ric Moore

Aug 3, 2011, 6:10:17 PM8/3/11
On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 16:13 -0400, Margaret Leber wrote:
> Ric-
>
> .jar files are .zips :-)

ah... maybe that's why the turbopage feature is going wonky, it's trying
to compress that which is already compressed. We had that problem back
in the cp/m days. For whatever reason, after I disabled turbo page and
restarted, it downloaded all the files and then has stalled like a steel
hammer. The client is totally non-responsive, yet works just fine from
my local server. So, I rm -rf'd my ~/,wonderland directory and my
~/.java directory to start over from scratch. It got further, logged in
and then stalled again. Twice. I get the client window, but nothing
shows up, no ...no black screen, just the grey one. My nVidia card is
set up correctly and again it works with my local OWL server. I reset
java to direct connection to the internet. Same thing. <sighs> Ric

Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin)

Aug 3, 2011, 6:23:59 PM8/3/11
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Ric Moore <waywa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday I loaded the Imprudence client for OSgrid and connected within
> minutes seeing stuff. Even through this stinkin' satellite modem.

How long did it take to download Imprudence? Compare apple to apples,
please. :-)

Ric Moore

Aug 3, 2011, 10:31:58 PM8/3/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 18:23 -0400, Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin)
wrote:

Ok, the Imprudence tar-gz file is 47 megs in size. My OWL total today
was almost 90 megs before I ever got to see anything appear in-world.
And that took at least 4 attempts over several hours, and I succeeded
the last time most likely after everyone else had logged out. With the
Impudence client I was there like Amil <BANG!>, and seeing stuff. Of
course it handles quite a bit of stuff in the background, ~after~ you've
logged in. No doubt. But, you're not twiddling your fingers, and running
top to see if anything is going on by the time you start squirming in
your chair.

But, and this is the important part, if I had two demo machines, showing
a committee my two choices and one just sat there looking at me for 5-10
minutes and the other BANG! straight in, guess what the panel of Joe
Lunchbucket types would choose?

So, for a demo world, shoving everything and the kitchen sink at the
client is pretty bloated. Plus, the client load eventually needs to
happen on another server first, then handed off to the content server
after, after trying to start from scratch after deleting my cache files.
I cannot foresee handling more than 8 or so users without separating the
duties across several servers, preferably with their own IP
addresses/net connections after getting past 16 or so users if one is
using VOIP and shared applications. I know those two are both resource
hogs. OpenSim doesn't begin to share applications like that. I do know
the differences.

But today was an exercise in patience from Yoga practice, plus some
Anger Management thrown in. To close, I love me some OWL, no doubt. And
everyone working their butts off to support it has my undying gratitude.
Since the extent of my abilities is to test drive it, I also watch the
"other" camp and also have the OpenSim server installed. They are not
asleep at the wheel by any stretch. From my perspective, they are ahead
on getting the user into the "in-world" faster, and loading up on the
special bits after. Like it or not, this is what wins the hearts and
minds, getting the user into some sort of 3D world the soonest.

My money is still on OWL, though. We just really need to get a handle on
the client end and it's errors before we add more new stuff. Starting
fresh with both ~/.java and ~/.wonderland directories erased, I got a
ton of CRCcheck file errors in the java console whenever I restarted
trying to get logged in. It spun it's wheels on that for some time. That
would certainly account for the longish wait time. I wouldn't think
there would be an issue like that with fresh jar files installed within
the last hour or so.

So, please accept my criticism for what it is, a user honestly
recounting his experience and frustration from a difficult experience.
In a week or so, I'll be updating to 6 cores and 16 gigs of ram. We'll
see what's what then. :) Ric

Bob Potter

Aug 3, 2011, 10:42:59 PM8/3/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
One thing I have noticed is the size of the evolver avatars - I have a set of evm files on my system that range from 4.7 to 6.3 MB - just for one avatar!!

Bob

jagwire

Aug 9, 2011, 7:17:49 PM8/9/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Sorry for the late notice everyone, EZMove development will continue
this Wednesday, August 10th, 2011 from 1pm to 2pm EDT on our community

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=233493033358469

On Aug 3, 9:42 pm, Bob Potter <bpot...@acm.org> wrote:
> One thing I have noticed is the size of the evolver avatars - I have a set
> of evm files on my system that range from 4.7 to 6.3 MB - just for one
> avatar!!
>
> Bob
>

> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 10:31 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 18:23 -0400, Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin)

jagwire

Aug 16, 2011, 5:03:47 PM8/16/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
We will resume development on EZMove this Wednesday August 17th, 2011
from 1pm to 2pm EDT on our community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=274845092530397

jagwire

Aug 22, 2011, 7:07:08 PM8/22/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
EZMove development will continue on Wednesday August 24th, 2011 from
1pm to 2pm EDT on our community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

see you then!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=184436238292432

Josmas Flores

Aug 23, 2011, 5:38:12 AM8/23/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
will miss this one, you guys have fun! :)

José

jagwire

Aug 29, 2011, 12:52:48 PM8/29/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hello,

We'll be rounding off the month of August with another EZMove
development session. We'll be meeting on Wednesday, August 31st, 2011
from 1pm to 2pm EDT on our community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

See you then,
jW

event details on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=117202361714876

Bob Potter

Aug 30, 2011, 8:09:37 PM8/30/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
My turn to miss one - duty calls - but really do want to understand all of that quaternion math one of these days.  If I finish earlier, will drop by. Otherwise, see you next week.

Bob

jagwire

Sep 6, 2011, 10:56:17 AM9/6/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
This week, we will be taking a break from Subsnapshot development and
looking at the current status and outstanding tasks for the 0.5
Preview 5 release. Join us on Wednesday, September 7th 2011 from
1pm-2pm EDT on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

hope to see you there,
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=158129264270754

jagwire

Sep 13, 2011, 11:03:19 AM9/13/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Back from a refreshing break, we'll be continuing EZMove development
Wednesday (Tomorrow) September 14th, 2011 from 1pm - 2pm EDT on the
see you there!
jW

Josmas Flores

Sep 13, 2011, 11:12:39 AM9/13/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
might be late but will be there... eventually! :)

José

jagwire

Sep 19, 2011, 12:07:41 AM9/19/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
We will continue EZMove development Wednesday, September 21st from 1pm
to 2pm EDT on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=175918842485033

Josmas Flores

Sep 19, 2011, 3:24:23 AM9/19/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
won't make it for this one, you guys have fun! :)

José

jagwire

Sep 26, 2011, 11:28:29 AM9/26/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
EZMove development will continue Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 from
1pm-2pm EDT on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=128628603904629

jagwire

Oct 3, 2011, 4:24:45 PM10/3/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
EZMove development will continue Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 from
1pm-2pm EDT on the community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

hope to see you there!

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=147154225381607

jagwire

Oct 5, 2011, 7:15:40 PM10/5/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hello!

We will be taking a break from EZMove next week to discuss lighting in
Open Wonderland on THURSDAY, October 13th at 11:30am US Eastern time.
In an earlier brainstorming session [1] three significant topics
emerged: world illumination, objects as light sources, and object
illumination. The brainstorming session also identified some potential
functionality that could be introduced to address these topics. The
goal of this discussion, led by Bernard Horan from the University of
Essex, is to come up with a plan to specify, prioritize, and implement
some of this functionality (or similar).

We look forward to seeing you there!

[1] http://faithhold.dyndns.org:8080/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Lighting%20Brainstorming

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=156862391073471

best,
jW

> read more »

jagwire

Oct 17, 2011, 4:51:20 PM10/17/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
EZMove development will resume this Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 from

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=234988103224146

On Oct 5, 6:15 pm, jagwire <rnb...@mizzou.edu> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We will be taking a break from EZMove next week to discuss lighting in
> Open Wonderland on THURSDAY, October 13th at 11:30am US Eastern time.
> In an earlier brainstorming session [1] three significant topics
> emerged: world illumination, objects as light sources, and object
> illumination. The brainstorming session also identified some potential
> functionality that could be introduced to address these topics. The
> goal of this discussion, led by Bernard Horan from the University of
> Essex, is to come up with a plan to specify, prioritize, and implement
> some of this functionality (or similar).
>
> We look forward to seeing you there!
>
> [1]http://faithhold.dyndns.org:8080/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Lighting%20Bra...
>
> read more »

jagwire

Oct 24, 2011, 5:54:38 PM10/24/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
EZMove development will continue this Wednesday, October 26th, 2011
from 1pm to 2pm EDT on our community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=178441552240944

Josmas Flores

Oct 26, 2011, 12:35:31 PM10/26/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
sorry guys, will miss this one again... commuting now.. pain :S
have fun!

José

Josmas Flores

Oct 30, 2011, 3:39:18 PM10/30/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, just a heads up, DST is over in Europe (for this year
anyway!). we always mix times up after the change so better take it
into account for Weds meeting!

cheers,
José

jagwire

Oct 31, 2011, 5:27:30 PM10/31/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Hello!

EZMove development will continue this Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011
from 1pm-2pm EDT on our community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

The facebook event has an updated time announcement, hopefully DST is
reflected accurately. Best to double-check before hand so you don't
miss out!

hope to see you there,
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=282999908398074

On Oct 30, 2:39 pm, Josmas Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys, just a heads up, DST is over in Europe (for this year
> anyway!). we always mix times up after the change so better take it
> into account for Weds meeting!
>
> cheers,
> José

> read more »

jagwire

Nov 7, 2011, 5:43:33 PM11/7/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
More fun is to be had as we continue to work on EZMove! Join us this
Wednesday November 9th, 2011 from 1pm-2pm EST on our community server:
http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

The United States fell back this weekend from Daylight Savings Time so
be sure to double check the event announcement link in the facebook
event to make sure you don't miss out!

see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=213722272031855

> read more »

Jos Flores

Nov 7, 2011, 6:22:46 PM11/7/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
hope to make it this week, although a bit late probably :)

jagwire

Nov 28, 2011, 4:43:51 PM11/28/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
The next EZMove development session will be this Wednesday, from 1pm
to 2pm EST on our community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

Hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/184768951613766/

On Nov 7, 5:22 pm, Jos Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hope to make it this week, although a bit late probably :)

> read more »

jagwire

Dec 6, 2011, 6:23:20 PM12/6/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
This Wednesday (tomorrow) December 7th, 2011 from 1pm to 2pm EST,
developers will be finishing up EZMove and a discussion & brainstorm
will be held to decide the next community development project! Meet us

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/319948464699252/

> read more »

jagwire

Dec 12, 2011, 5:36:44 PM12/12/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Join community members this Wednesday December 14th, 2011 from 1pm-2pm
EST on our community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080 as
we choose the next community project to develop during Wonderland
Wednesday meetings!

hope to see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/260240524029607

> read more »

jagwire

Dec 20, 2011, 10:03:02 AM12/20/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
While we wait until the new year to start improving the telepointers
project, we will be researching what it will take to improve the
sticky note functionality. Join designers and developers on Wednesday
(tomorrow) December 21st, 2011 from 1pm to 2pm EST on our community
server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080 to discuss sticky notes!

see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/137497136362374

> read more »

Jos Flores

Dec 20, 2011, 3:18:04 PM12/20/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I still have very reduced internet access but will try my best to be
there. hope to see you guys there!

cheers,
José

Ric Moore

Dec 20, 2011, 9:27:34 PM12/20/11
On 12/20/2011 03:18 PM, Jos Flores wrote:
> I still have very reduced internet access but will try my best to be
> there. hope to see you guys there!

If you're using a sat linkup, I'll loan you my well used crying towel.
My only hope of a network upgrade is to tap the SprintNet fiber backbone
linking DC to Chapel Hill NC, stopping at Microsoft and Apple along the
way, for 1 grand a month, which runs buried through our front yard. It
tortures me to know it's 40 feet away from my computer.
<sobs> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Jos Flores

Dec 22, 2011, 8:56:07 AM12/22/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ric, nope, no sat link or any other kind of link, that is the
problem. Tons of wifi links all around me but all locked down :S ah
well... not bad being disconnected for a while! :)

cheers,
José

jagwire

Dec 27, 2011, 10:38:26 AM12/27/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
Due to members traveling for the holidays, there will be no formal
Wednesday meeting this week (December 27th). Meetings will resume in
the new year!

Happy Holidays!
jW

On Dec 22, 7:56 am, Jos Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Ric, nope, no sat link or any other kind of link, that is the
> problem. Tons of wifi links all around me but all locked down :S ah
> well... not bad being disconnected for a while! :)
>
> cheers,
> José

Jos Flores

Dec 27, 2011, 1:44:40 PM12/27/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
happy holidays to all! :D

cheers,
José

Ric Moore

Dec 27, 2011, 8:19:42 PM12/27/11
On 12/27/2011 10:38 AM, jagwire wrote:
> Due to members traveling for the holidays, there will be no formal
> Wednesday meeting this week (December 27th). Meetings will resume in
> the new year!

Good! The newest update to firefox seems to have trashed java somehow.
All of my .mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins links are just
fine. But, when I attempt to launch the client, the tabs start opening
like they were fired from a machine gun. So, if anyone else sees this
happening, I'll feel better as I won't be alone. If I figure out what's
happening, I'll post the result. Ric

jagwire

Jan 3, 2012, 2:39:41 PM1/3/12
to Open Wonderland Forum
This week we will continue to look into just what it will take to
improve the sticky note technology. It is not necessary to have
attended previous sessions. Anyone interested in learning more about
Wonderland development is welcome. We will be meeting on Wednesday
January 4th, 2012 from 1-2pm EST on our community server:
http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080

hope to see you there!
jW

jagwire

Jan 9, 2012, 3:52:49 PM1/9/12
to Open Wonderland Forum
This week we'll be switching gears and begin improving the telepointer
system in Open Wonderland. Join us this Wednesday, January 11th, 2012
from 1-2pm EST on our community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080.

see you there!
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/270055686389943

Jos Flores

Jan 9, 2012, 4:05:56 PM1/9/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Any work we can do in advance such as setting up a project or something similar?

cheers,
José

Jos Flores

Jan 11, 2012, 5:17:27 AM1/11/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
ha, completely misread this... we are making improvements to the
existing telepointer project, right? :)

cheers,
José

Jos Flores

Jan 11, 2012, 7:51:04 AM1/11/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
I have attached a cardwall with the tasks in the wiki and a couple of
bugs/features I've found, to the wiki itself:
http://faithhold.dyndns.org:8080/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Wonderland%20Wednesday%20Project%20Ideas#section-Wonderland+Wednesday+Project+Ideas-2D3DTelepointers

If I'm late today could anyone drag a copy in so we can save a bit of
time setting stuff up?

cheers,
José

jagwire

Jan 16, 2012, 9:06:28 PM1/16/12
to Open Wonderland Forum
This week we will continue updating the Telepointers project! Join us
on Wednesday January 18th, 2012 from 1pm-2pm EST on our community
server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080 Let your friends know
you are joining in by RSVPing on the facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/events/296098910437623

hope to see you there!
jW

On Jan 11, 6:51 am, Jos Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have attached a cardwall with the tasks in the wiki and a couple of
> bugs/features I've found, to the wiki itself:http://faithhold.dyndns.org:8080/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Wonderland%20W...
>
> If I'm late today could anyone drag a copy in so we can save a bit of
> time setting stuff up?
>
> cheers,
> José
>
> On 11 January 2012 10:17, Jos Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > ha, completely misread this... we are making improvements to the
> > existing telepointer project, right? :)
>
> > cheers,
> > José
>
> > On 9 January 2012 21:05, Jos Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Any work we can do in advance such as setting up a project or something similar?
>
> >> cheers,
> >> José

Jos Flores

Jan 17, 2012, 5:15:43 AM1/17/12
to openwon...@googlegroups.com

jagwire

Jan 24, 2012, 5:11:55 PM1/24/12
to Open Wonderland Forum
This Wednesday (tomorrow) January 24th, 2012 from 1-2pm EST, on our
community server: http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080 we will be
meeting to discuss outstanding patch contributions and telepointer
improvements. I apologize for the short notice.

best,
jW

facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/332356236785818

On Jan 17, 4:15 am, Jos Flores <josmasflo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> there is a copy of the cardwall here:http://faithhold.dyndns.org:8080/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Wonderland%20W...
>
> cheers,
> José
>
> On 17 January 2012 02:06, jagwire <pympno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > This week we will continue updating the Telepointers project! Join us
> > on Wednesday January 18th, 2012 from 1pm-2pm EST on our community
> > server:http://owf1.virtualnorthstar.org:8080Let your friends know
It is loading more messages.