Client Test 'Test Image' Basic won't load on MBP

R Hendrickson

Jan 22, 2013, 8:56:18 PM1/22/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Don't know if there is a solution to this or not. The test image never loads (have left it for hours, really.)
The MBP is running Java 7. It is a  2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 and running OS X 10.8.2
Also, the default graphics card is an "AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB" Specs show it as Direct X 11 and OpenGL 4.1 compatible. It is in the PCIe port. The builtin is Intel HD Graphics 3000. All of the connection tests result in a white checked green button. The builtin graphics chip supports the display port when an external monitor device is attached. There is no way, I know of, to switch between the 2 for the ColorLCD panel built into the MBP.

I have tried over both a Wireless N and a hardwire connection.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick

alexxan...@hotmail.com

Jan 24, 2013, 12:36:12 PM1/24/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Open Wonderland won't load with java 7 on mac os x 10.8.2, I had the same issues.

The solution is to uninstall java 7 and re-enable java 6.
It is explained in this article how to do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559?viewlocale=en_US

In my case I cannot launch the wonderland.jnlp file by double clicking because mac osx keeps bugging me to install a jre (even though it is installed).
So I have to use the terminal and launch it by doing

$> javaws Wonderland.jnlp

Don't know what Oracle did to java 7 to make it crash.
Anyway, hope this helps

Alex

Nicole Yankelovich

Jan 24, 2013, 1:21:02 PM1/24/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Rick,

Alex is correct. Wonderland currently does not work with Java 7 on the Mac - we are actively working on fixing this problem, but it's proving to be a tough one. In the mean time, you can uninstall Java 7 as Alex suggests, or you can leave it installed and follow the instructions below. In all the installations we've seen of Macs that were upgraded to Java 7, Java 6 is still installed, so it's just a matter of using a magic incantation to find it.  Here's are the steps:

  • Navigate to the OWL launch page and click on the Launch button - the purpose is only to download the Wonderland.jnlp file to your computer.
  • After the .jnlp file downloads, Wonderland will try to start to start up, but eventually you'll get an error and will have to force quit the Java application (hold down the Option key, right click on the Java icon in the dock, and select Force Quit from the menu)
  • Use the Finder to move the Wonderland.jnlp file from the Downloads folder to a folder on the desktop named with the server name (For example, if you want to connect to the community server, owf1, name the folder "owf1")
  • Open a terminal window (you can find the terminal program in Applications --> Utilities)
  • Assuming you moved the Wonderland.jnlp file to Desktop/owf1, you would issue the following two commands in the terminal window:
    cd Desktop/owf1
    /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/javaws Wonderland.jnlp
  • If you quit out of Wonderland and want to run it again, you can use the UNIX shortcut for repeating a command and simply type:
    !!
Let me know if that works for you.

Nicole.

Ric Moore

Jan 24, 2013, 5:37:49 PM1/24/13
On 01/24/2013 01:21 PM, Nicole Yankelovich wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Alex is correct. Wonderland currently does not work with Java 7 on the
> Mac - we are actively working on fixing this problem, but it's proving
> to be a tough one.

Since Os X is akin to BSD Unix and BSD is a close cousin to Linux, the
problem might very well be where the system decides what java commands
and their locations in the file system are relayed to programs asking
for them. So, when you type java -version the OS uses the binary file
that it recognizes as "java" and proceeds to run it in response to the
program calling for it.

I could have 5 installs of java, but only one is used because the
"alternatives" middle man does that bit. When Firefox calls for javaws
alternatives tells it that the javaws binary lives in
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7/bin/javaws and all the other /usr/lib/jvm/java-6 or
java-5 are ignored, while their files are there intact. But! If javaws
is mistakingly set for java-5 while java is set to java-7, it all goes
to hell.

Somehow, something must not be pointing to all of the correct locations.
That is where I would look. I had a similar problem when the Oracle Java
installer failed to set several java binaries correctly with Linux.
Humans do make mistakes, 15% of the time! :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Nicole Yankelovich

Jan 24, 2013, 5:52:14 PM1/24/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Ric,

If only the problem was that straight forward! Jonathan wrote:

 I think I found the root cause of the problem: when I look at libjogl_awt.dylib (in wonderland/core/ext/macosx/native) with otool, I see:

otool -L ext/macosx/native/libjogl_awt.jnilib
ext/macosx/native/libjogl_awt.jnilib:
libjogl_awt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 12.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Libraries/libjawt.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 111.0.0)

Note the reference to libjawt.dylib.  If you trace the path of this file, it is actually in the CurrentJDK/ directory, which points to the Java 1.6.0 installation. This explains where the bad include is coming from: we are importing a bad version of the library. ... It seems like the jawt in Java 7 is not just a drop-in replacement for jawt in Java 6. It could be related to a build problem or it could be a missing library or resource.
If anyone has any thoughts on this, please do let us know!

Nicole.

Ric Moore

Jan 25, 2013, 4:32:08 AM1/25/13
On 01/24/2013 05:52 PM, Nicole Yankelovich wrote:

>> Note the reference to libjawt.dylib. If you trace the path of this
>> file, it is actually in the CurrentJDK/ directory, which points to the
>> Java 1.6.0 installation. This explains where the bad include is coming
>> from: we are importing a bad version of the library. ... It seems like

If you open a terminal window and cd into that CurrentJDK/ directory and
type ls -la are they the actual files or links?? I betcha links. Ric

Ric Moore

Jan 25, 2013, 4:43:18 AM1/25/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
On 01/24/2013 05:52 PM, Nicole Yankelovich wrote:
> Ric,
>
> If only the problem was that straight forward! Jonathan wrote:

<snippage>
Could this be part of the problem?
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/11/apple-blocks-java-7-on-os-x-to-address-widespread-security-threat/

Ric Moore

Jan 25, 2013, 4:51:02 AM1/25/13
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
On 01/24/2013 05:52 PM, Nicole Yankelovich wrote:
> Ric,
>
> If only the problem was that straight forward! Jonathan wrote:
Here's another, especially if you edited your JAVA_HOME paths by hand,
in your bash profile, as I seem to recall lots of people doing.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10350867/how-do-i-install-jdk7-java-7-on-mac-os-x-10-7-3

Trouble shooting with a shotgun here, Something is just set wrong, I
betcha. Java 7 worked perfectly when I first installed it, just after it
came out. BUT, I did have to correct some minor glitches to the system
pointers. Ric