taxonomy browser

Karen Cranston

Jan 11, 2016, 1:04:45 PM1/11/16
to opentre...@googlegroups.com, opentreeofl...@googlegroups.com
We have just released a browser for OTT. This post contains links:

http://blog.opentreeoflife.org/2016/01/11/open-tree-taxonomy-browser/

This new tool should make it much simpler to see the structure of the taxonomy and understand how OTT influences the synthetic tree.

Cheers,
Karen

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
karen.c...@gmail.com

Tony Rees

Jan 12, 2016, 2:34:02 AM1/12/16
to opentre...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I took a look and it seems very well executed and the displayed information is useful (congrats to the developers).

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia

Tony Rees

Jan 12, 2016, 2:50:58 AM1/12/16
to opentre...@googlegroups.com
Although I did wonder about one thing - could not understand the default sort of the child txa for any node (or maybe there is none), e.g. for a part of the node = infrakingdom Stramenopiles https://tree.opentreeoflife.org/taxonomy/browse?id=266745 there is a portion of the displayed children like this:
<snip>
</snip>

Maybe would be good to sort first by rank, then alphabetically, or is there an implied nesting here? (I would think not...)

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees, New South Wales, Australia

Jonathan A Rees

Jan 12, 2016, 1:54:42 PM1/12/16
to opentre...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I admit that's confusing. The ranks shown are simply whatever was assigned by the source taxonomy. In a proper taxonomy all children of a given node are of the same rank, but not here. So in the example you show there is no implied hierarchy. Since the ranks have almost no semantics, I wonder if it would be better to not show ranks at all in the children list, and just show a taxon's source-taxonomy rank in the taxon data at the top of the its page. That's what NCBI does.

We've talked a bit about what the sort order ought to be. Looks like it's currently random; alphabetical would be better. Ideally the order would be user selectable, I suppose: alphabetical, by taxon size, by rank, by source taxonomy, and so on.

Jonathan

Tony Rees

Jan 12, 2016, 3:09:10 PM1/12/16
to opentre...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan,

To me it would make sense if the default sort were to be grouped by rank high-low, then alphabetical within ranks, since the higher ranks implies more taxonomic precision, while low ranked thingies tend to be a bit of a wastebasket for incertae sedis names etc. Then folk wishing to traverse a familiar taxonomy are most likely to find what they want (i.e. next level children) near the top. Just my 2 cents, of course...

I would not want to see the rank indicators dropped as these are very useful in deciding how to get around in a less familiar group, also in indicating how the various source taxonomies represent particular names.