OpenThread using Nest Learning Thermostat

Doug Slattery

Oct 21, 2017, 11:36:47 AM10/21/17
to openthread-users
Hi OpenThread folks,

I'm new to the group and Thread/OpenThread.  I posted my question on StackOverflow a couple of days ago as suggested on the OT GitHub readme with no response yet, so thought I'd bump it over here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46839496/openthread-using-nest-learning-thermostat

In summary, I'm trying to use OT to communicate with a Nest thermostat using a Pi 3 and would rather not use the cloud based api if possible.  Once I can communicate with the thermostat, I would like to communicate with their other devices that are using the Thread protocol.

Thanks,
- Doug

"Nothing is impossible if ImPossible"

Rob Newberry

Oct 31, 2017, 3:27:51 PM10/31/17
to openthread-users
I'm new to the group and Thread/OpenThread.  I posted my question on StackOverflow a couple of days ago as suggested on the OT GitHub readme with no response yet, so thought I'd bump it over here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46839496/openthread-using-nest-learning-thermostat

In summary, I'm trying to use OT to communicate with a Nest thermostat using a Pi 3 and would rather not use the cloud based api if possible.  Once I can communicate with the thermostat, I would like to communicate with their other devices that are using the Thread protocol.

Very glad to see your interest in Thread, OpenThread, and Nest.

Today, the Nest Learning Thermostat makes use of Thread technology primarily for controlling our HeatLink products in Europe.  It does not expose any APIs for control or introspection over Thread right now.  If you want to interact with the Thermostat, you'll need to use our Works with Nest (cloud) APIs.

As you know, Thread (and OpenThread which implements it) provides only a network layer, but for meaningful interactions, you'll need an application layer on top of it.  Nest products use our Weave protocol suite for this purpose.  We're not quite ready to provide full third-party interactions directly to our products quite yet, but you can begin exploring Weave technology over at http://openweave.io/  -- watch that space for more to come.

Rob

Doug Slattery

Nov 3, 2017, 1:35:35 PM11/3/17
to openthread-users
Thanks for your response Rob.  I will definitely look into openweave and change my approach to integrate the Nest thermostat into my system.