Stats not updated

brandited

Dec 14, 2011, 11:56:33 PM12/14/11
to orkut Developer Forum
The app stats' are not updated since 10 days ago.

Actually, there were only 3 updates in 30 days, instead of daily.

Bruno Oliveira (Google)

Jan 6, 2012, 8:40:46 AM1/6/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Ideally the stats would update every day but some times it takes a little longer depending on server load and a few other factors. They should not, however, stop updating completely for more than a few weeks...

Thanks!
Message has been deleted

brandited

Jan 8, 2012, 8:35:53 PM1/8/12
to orkut Developer Forum
Finally the ranking is based on weekly users (or something
similar). :D
On 6 jan, 11:40, "Bruno Oliveira (Google)"

Bruno Oliveira (Google)

Jan 9, 2012, 10:30:49 AM1/9/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, it looks better now. :-)

-
Bruno Oliveira (Google)

anatoly

Jan 21, 2012, 7:08:38 AM1/21/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry but what you just did is ranking based on weekly users.
It's totally wrong. Weekly users maybe one of the factors.

Once you had a sophisticated formula with weights of page impressions. What happened to that formula?
You should also count the time spent on the app per user per visit - this is the measurement of the quality of the app.

Ranking based simply on weekly users is wrong and people will outspam and game the system.

brandited

Jan 22, 2012, 10:56:21 PM1/22/12
to orkut Developer Forum
The directory ranking is pretty messed the last days, e.g. just one
Vostu game is listed in the top.

anatoly

Jan 23, 2012, 8:05:31 AM1/23/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
+1 the directory is messed up

Bruno Oliveira (Google)

Jan 23, 2012, 2:37:17 PM1/23/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just tested the directory and it looks ok:

1. Mini Fazenda
2. Megacity
3. CaféMania
4. Caixa da Verdade
5. Colheita Feliz
6. World Mysteries
7. Cidade Maravilhosa
8. Vila Mágica
9. BuddyPoke
10. Candy Dash
11. Guitar Flash
12. Vou, Não Vou!
13. Colheita Feliz 3
14. Minha Música
15. Pet Mania
16. Buraco Canastra

(I tested in Brazilian Portuguese, but the directory varies according to the language you configured Orkut to)

-
Bruno Oliveira (Google)

brandited

Jan 23, 2012, 3:20:23 PM1/23/12
to orkut Developer Forum
Mine is in pt-br too, and the ranking is:

CaféMania
Crash Bandicoot
Cidade de sonho
Princesa de Sonho!
HOKUTO NO KEN 2 J...
Sou Fluminense!
DOOM 2008 JOGOS O...
Grande Prêmio da ...
Dengue Ville
Sou Coritiba!
Siga: Chris Brown
Show do Milhão
Novo Bola Soccer!
Siga: RBD
Cartooes.com
corrida de carros
Town Ville
Sim ou Não
MARIO STARCATCHE...
MegaSena

However, in prod.sandbox and sandbox the ranking is like you listed.

On 23 jan, 17:37, "Bruno Oliveira (Google)"

anatoly

Jan 23, 2012, 3:23:00 PM1/23/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruno

I see the same order.
But what criteria it is based on now - just weekly visits?
So all visits equal e.g. 1 sec visit = half hour visit?

See this article "Demystifying the app ranking criteria in orkut"?
By Prashant Tiwari and Tiago Silveira, orkut Team

it seems very different now than what is described. Can you officially clarify the new criteria?

thanks

Bruno Oliveira (Google)

Jan 24, 2012, 9:02:21 AM1/24/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

That article is out of date. We currently use a different algorithm for the ranking which prioritizes active users, although we don't specify its exact nature. We believe that's the best for the user. Unless it isn't, which is why we keep looking for ways to improve it :-)

-
Bruno Oliveira (Google)

anatoly

Jan 24, 2012, 4:26:49 PM1/24/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
I understand but you are once again not transparent about what "active users" is.
Many things in that article make sense in my opinion (though it's not perfect).

Do you count just visits or canvas impressions? If yes than games which use ajax and people spend much time on the canvas without reloading have the same weight as apps where users spend 5 sec to visit. Do you count stream impressions/feedback?
Do you count profile installations? Apparently not. There are many questions.

brandited

Jan 24, 2012, 4:52:32 PM1/24/12
to orkut Developer Forum
The stats are still messed up, the ranking is the same I posted
before, for at least three accounts I have.

If it's OK for you, maybe it's not propagating to all servers, how
will I know... :)

Bruno Oliveira (Google)

Feb 2, 2012, 3:59:27 PM2/2/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

We don't specify exactly what an "active user" is because we want to reserve the right to change that definition as we detect that better algorithms or definitions are better for the user. Same thing with the exact ranking algorithm: we don't disclose exactly what it is because we can't make promises about how it works or how it will work in the future.

I wish we could be more precise in how we specify it, but we prefer to say it's undefined instead of publishing a spec that would change frequently.

Thanks!

-
Bruno Oliveira (Google)

anatoly

Feb 3, 2012, 5:52:00 AM2/3/12
to opensoci...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bruno

No offence but this position does not sound very good.
I think the deliberate lack of transparency of the platform towards developers is bad for Google and contradicts Google's traditional attitude. It sounds more like Facebook than Google.

The previous article regarding apps in Orkut directory
http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2010/08/demystifying-app-ranking-criteria-in.html
"Demystifying the app ranking criteria in orkut"

It was different approach and it contradicts what you are saying here in the forums. I'd suggest to repost on official google blog
and say that article now is outdated. Or at least update that post. At least make an official announcement here on the forums.
There is not much of a responsibility to post deep in one of the threads here on the boards vs. posting on official google blog or make an official announcement. Until then... What that article says should be the way how directory works and you have a bug.

Sorry to point to obvious things and no offence.