Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-snell-activitystreams-actions-00.txt

James M Snell

Dec 12, 2013, 5:28:38 PM12/12/13
to activity...@googlegroups.com, OpenSocial
Hello all,

First of all, I apologize for any of you who receive this note twice,
I'm cross posting to both the Activity Streams and OpenSocial mailing
lists.

Matt Marum and I have written up an initial draft of "Action Handlers
for Activity Streams 2.0" [1]. This is intended to fill in many of the
open details left open by the current Activity Streams 2.0 draft [2].

[1] http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-snell-activitystreams-actions-00.txt
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-snell-activitystreams-05

There is still lots to do here but we wanted to get this initial set
of thoughts published and out and solicit feedback from the community
at large. The draft is still very rough and I'll be adding detail in
future iterations. Please post any feedback you may have to the
Activity Streams mailing list (see http://activitystrea.ms).

Thanks all!

- James

Jan 8, 2014, 3:29:46 PM1/8/14
to activity...@googlegroups.com, OpenSocial
Hey Pat,

I saw your previous note but I have to apologize, I've been tied up
catching back up after taking vacation for a few weeks... some

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 12:16 PM, cappelaere <cappe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> James, Matt,
>
> Actions are of high interest for us at NASA.
> The proposed spec is very interesting. I have a few questions regarding the
> POST action.
> It is well defined for a GET (with template).
> But for a POST, it seems under-defined. We need to know what security
> protocol may be required...

You're right.. the "under-defined" is actually intentional until we
(as a community) have a much better idea of what the overall
requirements will be...

> Post parameters may be required or optional
> Parameters may show up in the url path (as defined in the template), in the
> query section or at some location in the body.

Just to make sure, did you see the HtmlForm and Parameters objects
defined in the AS Actions draft? [1] and [2]

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-snell-activitystreams-actions-02#section-7
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-snell-activitystreams-actions-02#section-9

You can use a UrlTemplate and HtmlForm together if necessary, and the
Parameters object has a "required" property.

What's not clearly defined yet, however, are non-HTML form inputs.
That'll be something we need to look at eventually.

> The Google API discovery API defines that very well.
> Could it be possible to enhance “actions” and be compatible with that
> current implementation or are you thinking about doing something else?

We intentionally designed actions to be very openly extensible. It
would be very possible to bring the Google API discovery approach
together with this. Technically, it just a matter of embedding the
json into the action handler. I definitely encourage experimentation
in this area and would gladly help where I can.

- James