Portable Container & Web Intents

Jonathan Beri

Jul 2, 2011, 12:56:23 AM7/2/11
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Paul Kinlan from Google is working on a project called Web Intents.I just learned about Web Intents in a recent post. He describes Web Intents as "a framework for client-side service discovery and inter-application communication." Sounds a lot like embedding gadgets. This may be a good solution for a portable container, even better than something like oEmbed. There's even a concept of actions & types, that corresponds to activity stream model.

There's already plenty of sample code to play with & its even under Apache licensing.

What do you guys think? I'd love to see portable container make it into 2.1.

Jonathan Beri

Jul 6, 2011, 6:09:47 AM7/6/11
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Paul Kinlane just posted some slides on Web Intents.

Paul Kinlan

Jul 6, 2011, 6:14:27 AM7/6/11
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

I also happen to be on this list, so feel free to ask any questions :)

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Jonathan Beri <jmb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Paul Kinlane just posted some slides on Web Intents.

Paul Kinlan
Developer Advocate @ Google for Chrome and HTML5
t: +447730517944
tw: @Paul_Kinlan
LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/paulkinlan
Blog: http://paul.kinlan.me
Skype: paul.kinlan

Jonathan Beri

Jul 9, 2011, 12:48:00 AM7/9/11
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
One of the next major topics for OS is a portable container - an easy way to embed a container + gadget on the client (or even a server application.) We've talked about oEmbed, but it has its pros and cons. Web Intents seems like it may be a more robust solution - especially when combined with the Common Container. Also seems to have momentum, since Google & Firefox are working on the solution together.

What do you think?

Mark W.

Jul 12, 2011, 7:26:39 AM7/12/11
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan & Paul K.
I'd like to learn more about this and, as Jonathan points out, not go down a path that will put us in a corner later.