sshfs persistent storage

Jamie Jackson

Mar 26, 2018, 6:34:29 PM3/26/18
to open...@googlegroups.com
Part of the stack I'm containerizing accesses remote storage via autofs/sshfs (autofs for resilience of the connection). Is there an OpenShift way to handle this?

Graham Dumpleton

Mar 26, 2018, 8:08:00 PM3/26/18
to open...@googlegroups.com

> On 27 Mar 2018, at 9:34 am, Jamie Jackson <jamie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Part of the stack I'm containerizing accesses remote storage via autofs/sshfs (autofs for resilience of the connection). Is there an OpenShift way to handle this?

Just to clarify, are you saying the application acts as a client, to access a remote file system mounted into the local file system via autofs/sshfs, or are you saying you need to expose the file system of the container externally to external clients via sshfs?

If the first, I suspect the answer is no. At least you can't do it at the user level as mounting of file systems is handled by lower levels of Kubernetes. Am not aware of any support in Kubernetes for using sshfs as a means of mounting in a persistent volume.

If the second, the problem is that there is no sshd running in the container so you can't terminate a ssh connection.

Graham

Jamie Jackson

Mar 27, 2018, 10:08:12 AM3/27/18
to open...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graham,

The container would act as the SSH client. When I google, I see questions, but I didn't spot answers in which the poster was satisfied with the solution. I do see a Kubernetes plugin (https://opencredo.com/introducing-kubefuse-file-system-kubernetes/), but it hasn't been touched in a couple of years.

If you had this requirement today (needing a container to operate on remote files over SSH), how do you think you would approach it?

I'm still working in a non-OpenShift container environment (straight docker), but I'm trying to do things in a way that will translate as well as possible to OpenShift (the most likely ultimate destination).

Thanks,
Jamie

Graham

Graham Dumpleton

Mar 27, 2018, 6:49:40 PM3/27/18
to open...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can tell KubeFuse is solving a different problem entirely.

I would suggest you ask about what Kubernetes storage provider plugin mechanism may be available to solve your issue on:

There are people there who know more about low level setup and configuration of OpenShift and Kubernetes. This list is more for those using an existing OpenShift cluster who aren't doing anything with low level setup of the cluster.

Graham

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/openshift.

Jamie Jackson

Mar 28, 2018, 10:59:52 AM3/28/18