[IMPORTANT] The OpenSearch specifications are moving

DeWitt Clinton

Apr 14, 2018, 3:26:53 PM4/14/18
to opens...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As expected, the time has finally come to migrate the OpenSearch specifications off of the private MediaWiki instance that we've been using for the past 12 years and move everything to a hosted version control and serving environment.

I spent the last few days manually porting the main specification to Markdown and have published a revised draft here:

While the markup changed substantially throughout, there should be no normative changes to the content itself. If you are interested, please take a moment to review side-by-side with the previous draft to confirm, and file issues or send a pull request if I've made a mistake.

As the original site will stop serving imminently, I consider the above specification canonical going forward.

I've also extracted and mirrored the original wiki source files for posterity here:

I've reached out to Amazon/A9, who control the opensearch.org domain, to see if they're interested in pointing it to this new content. I'll let you all know if I hear anything back.

That said, even if we redirect the domain, it's non-trivial to correctly serve the legacy files directly off of GitHub. Sadly, pandoc doesn't do the automatic conversion to Markdown or HTML quite well enough, and GitHub's native mediawiki renderer also has some breaking bugs. If there are specific pages that merit the manual attention we can consider converting them one-by-one, though I don't expect that will be necessary.

Thank you to everyone who has helped contribute to the original site and the specifications over the past decade-plus. Here's to hoping they live on for many more!

-DeWitt