USFM duplicate footnotes?

zadd...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2016, 12:18:24 PM4/21/16
to Open Scriptures
Hi Guys,

Im looking to see if there is a way in USFM to do duplicate footnotes without actually duplicating them. I'll clarify my question with an example. Can you do this:

12:43 For they loved approval3 from people more than approval3 from God.

Without having to do this:

For they loved approval \f + \fr 12:43 Lit \fq glory \ft . \f* from people more than approval \f + \fr 12:43 Lit \fq glory \ft . \f* from God.

Thanks!

Kahunapule Michael Johnson

Apr 21, 2016, 2:19:03 PM4/21/16
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Sort of. You can use the \fm ...\fm* marker for the second note, but this only works well for print output. For electronic output, not so much.
See http://ubs-icap.org/chm/usfm/2.4/index.html

--

Aloha,
Kahunapule Michael Johnson

MICHAEL JOHNSON
PO BOX 881143
PUKALANI HI 96788-1143

USA
eBible.org
MLJohnson.org
Mobile: +1 808-333-6921
Skype: kahunapule

zadd...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2016, 3:30:14 AM4/25/16
to Open Scriptures

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 4:19:03 AM UTC+10, Kahunapule wrote:
Sort of. You can use the \fm ...\fm* marker for the second note, but this only works well for print output. For electronic output, not so much.
See http://ubs-icap.org/chm/usfm/2.4/index.html

Thanks Michael, I did see this one in the documentation, however there is no example usage section in the documentation, so its impossible to know how it should be used!

cma...@gmail.com

May 20, 2016, 7:20:50 AM5/20/16
to Open Scriptures
For print, The \fm .. \fm* tag in print turns the text in between them into the same style as the footnote markers are--usually bold superscript. The \fm tag does not support any kind of linking to another footnote to autogenerate the same marker. You'll have to know that your duplicated footnote is the 3rd on that page before you can properly include 3 between the tags.

Because of this The \fm \fm* tag doesn't work well until you are very specifically placing text into specific pages, since almost all Scripture footnotes are place on each page, and they typically all restart their numbering each page.

You might consider creating a wordlist and using \w \w* tags if that might apply to your case.

Alternatively, you might consider using the \f - option (no marker) and have the \fr tag refer to both verses on the first instance. I'm personally in favor of markerless footnotes in scripture... the note is there when someone is looking for it, but it allows for easier reading when folks aren't looking for it.