Sword format to XML format converter

evstevemd

Jan 2, 2012, 5:18:03 AM1/2/12
to Open Scriptures
Hi brothers/sisters,
I was looking for converter of Sword Modules/Dictionaries to XML
(OASIS or any documented XML) but so far I have not found one. I hope
you will help me with this!

Peter von Kaehne

Jan 2, 2012, 7:56:23 AM1/2/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com

We generally do not encourage export from Sword Modules to something
else. The reason is to avoid the growth of Chinese whisper like ever
worsening errors and information loss.

All our modules have the source website/organisation in the
configuration file. You can usually obtain the text from there and
create any other format you wish.

Peter von Kaehne
CrossWire volunteer

evstevemd

Jan 2, 2012, 9:00:17 AM1/2/12
to Open Scriptures
That is great information. Let me check the source.
Thanks!

David Troidl

Jan 2, 2012, 9:12:54 AM1/2/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The SWORD Project has utilities, available at
http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/utils/win32/.
You can download sword-utilities-1.6.2.zip
Inside you will find mod2osis.exe
This will give you a start on the XML.

However, you would probably be better off finding the original source of
the SWORD module in the first place. This is usually listed in the
.conf file.

You can also get developer information for SWORD at
http://www.crosswire.org/sword/develop/index.jsp
Here you can sign up for the SWORD developer list, if you want.

Peace,

David

Peter von Kaehne

Jan 2, 2012, 9:51:52 AM1/2/12
On 02/01/12 14:12, David Troidl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The SWORD Project has utilities, available at
> http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/utils/win32/.
> You can download sword-utilities-1.6.2.zip
> Inside you will find mod2osis.exe
> This will give you a start on the XML.

mod2osis is lossy.

There is significant loss of information in the circle - OSIS-XML ->
Sword module -> exported OSIS XML

The first step ignores info which is of no relevance to our modules, the
latter, most painfully loses information on verse linkage.

This is not a way you would want to go. Unless you would want to
contribute to the plethora of rotten and deteriorating Bible texts on
the internet.

Peter

evstevemd

Jan 2, 2012, 10:26:16 AM1/2/12
to Open Scriptures
Hi Peter,
Is there a documentation for format of native Sword Dictionary and
commentary?
Many source point to http://www.bf.org which no longer provides text.
I have decided to use sword modules in their form but I'm looking for
format documentation!
Thanks again,
Stefano

Caleb Maclennan

Jan 2, 2012, 10:33:42 AM1/2/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Stefano,

Usually the best thing to do is use the Sword libraries and API to
parse the modules, letting it do the dirty work with it's own format
rather than trying to re-invent the format parsing wheel yourself. If
you explain a little more what you are trying to accomplish folks here
might be able to make more specific software architecture suggestions.

Caleb

2012/1/2 evstevemd <mwinj...@gmail.com>:

evstevemd

Jan 2, 2012, 12:21:35 PM1/2/12
to Open Scriptures
What I want to do is, I have my little Bible software and I want to
access text of commentaries and Dictionaries.
I want to use the Sword text in my app.
Thanks for replying

On Jan 2, 6:33 pm, Caleb Maclennan <ca...@alerque.com> wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> Usually the best thing to do is use the Sword libraries and API to
> parse the modules, letting it do the dirty work with it's own format
> rather than trying to re-invent the format parsing wheel yourself. If
> you explain a little more what you are trying to accomplish folks here
> might be able to make more specific software architecture suggestions.
>
> Caleb
>
> 2012/1/2 evstevemd <mwinjili...@gmail.com>:
>

> > Hi Peter,
> > Is there a documentation for format of native Sword Dictionary and
> > commentary?
> > Many source point tohttp://www.bf.orgwhich no longer provides text.

evstevemd

Jan 2, 2012, 11:40:24 PM1/2/12
to Open Scriptures
Can't I just compile sword as library and use it to access its native
format? If yes is there a document explaining apart from the one I
have linked before which is not well documented IMHO
http://crosswire.org/sword/develop/index.jsp

On Jan 2, 8:21 pm, evstevemd <mwinjili...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I want to do is, I have my little Bible software and I want to
> access text of commentaries and Dictionaries.
> I want to use the Sword text in my app.
> Thanks for replying
>
> On Jan 2, 6:33 pm, Caleb Maclennan <ca...@alerque.com> wrote:
>

> > Stefano,
>
> > Usually the best thing to do is use the Sword libraries and API to
> > parse the modules, letting it do the dirty work with it's own format
> > rather than trying to re-invent the format parsing wheel yourself. If
> > you explain a little more what you are trying to accomplish folks here
> > might be able to make more specific software architecture suggestions.
>
> > Caleb
>
> > 2012/1/2 evstevemd <mwinjili...@gmail.com>:
>
> > > Hi Peter,
> > > Is there a documentation for format of native Sword Dictionary and
> > > commentary?
> > > Many source point tohttp://www.bf.orgwhichno longer provides text.

Peter von Kaehne

Jan 3, 2012, 7:01:11 AM1/3/12
On 03/01/12 04:40, evstevemd wrote:
> Can't I just compile sword as library and use it to access its native
> format? If yes is there a document explaining apart from the one I
> have linked before which is not well documented IMHO
> http://crosswire.org/sword/develop/index.jsp
Yes you can.

The documentation of libsword is not grand, but it is all there.

There is

a) the wiki
b) a large set of code examples (within the source)
c) source comments
d) API documentation
e) the mailing list sword-devel
f) the existing frontends which make use of the API.

Peter

evstevemd

Jan 4, 2012, 3:16:23 AM1/4/12
to Open Scriptures
I appreciate your constructive answers!

Stefano Mtangoo

May 23, 2014, 7:24:43 PM5/23/14
to openscr...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
I cannot find source for THE INTERNATIONAL STANDARD BIBLE ENCYCLOPEDIA
Can you help here?