Open Source Semantic Representation for Scriptures

Jeremiah Chung

Mar 11, 2015, 10:38:29 PM3/11/15
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Is there any open source semantic representation project for the scripture is going on?

I came across TBTA, The Bible Translation Assistant, http://www.thebibletranslatorsassistant.org/ and they are working on the semantic representation for scripture in order to generate natural language scriptural text. I just wonder how the semantic representation effort and result be share with open source mentality and avoiding reinvent the wheel.

Open English Bible

Mar 12, 2015, 5:09:53 AM3/12/15
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
From there website:

"Developing a semantic representation of a biblical text consists of representing that text with semantically simple words and simple sentence structures which convey the same meaning as the original text. In order to develop these semantic representations, we examine the original Greek and Hebrew texts, and we also consult numerous commentaries and other translations. Then, after capturing the meaning of a text using simple words and simple sentences, we add detailed linguistic information so that our software will have access to the information it needs in order to generate that text in a wide variety of languages.

It’s interesting. I’m not sure if I’m sold. I’m not sure what is gained beyond, for example, just plugging the CEV into Google Translate.

An open source version would, I think, have to start with an open source translation of the Bible into very grammatically simple language. Neither the WEB or OEB translations would work.

Cheers,

Russell

Jeremiah Chung

Mar 12, 2015, 8:06:03 AM3/12/15
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Russell,

Thank you for the comment. I think the main goal is to generate natural languages that the scripture is not yet available and the corpus is too small for Google to be able to translate it.
I can understand that not everyone would be sold. Thank you very much for expressing your opinion.

Blessings,
Jeremiah

Russell Allen

Mar 12, 2015, 9:30:12 AM3/12/15
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremiah

I was maybe being a bit harsh. Developing tools which will work where a proper written corpus is unavailable could be very useful. I think it was the phrase "semantic representation" which I was reacting to.

In any case, I would guess from their description that an open source version needs to start with a free version of the Bible that can be parsed with confidence - ie in simple phrasing in a well known language. I don't think there is such a thing at the moment.

Cheers Russell

jonathon

Mar 12, 2015, 9:27:20 PM3/12/15

On 12/03/15 13:26, Russell Allen wrote:

> ie in simple phrasing in a well known language. I don't think there is
such a thing at the moment.

What is the phrasing of _The Bible In Basic English_ like?

jonathon

signature.asc

Open English Bible

Mar 12, 2015, 9:36:34 PM3/12/15
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Although it is widely available online, and may possibly be public domain in the US, the BBE is still in copyright in most countries
It was more focussed on limiting vocab I think.
Russell

Jesse Griffin

Mar 12, 2015, 10:25:20 PM3/12/15
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'll venture to posit that there are at least two openly licensed texts that could be used for this.  The first would be the Translation For Translators (T4T), available from http://ebible.org/t4t/ (license is CC-BY-SA).

The second is an in progress derivative of the above called unfoldingWord Dynamic Bible (UDB), available at https://api.unfoldingword.org/udb/txt/1/udb-en/ or https://github.com/unfoldingWord/ulb-en.  Also available as JSONified USX in https://api.unfoldingword.org/ts/txt/2/.

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin
unfoldingWord Chief Technology Officer

Open English Bible

Mar 12, 2015, 10:48:17 PM3/12/15
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
T4T is great! I had forgotten about it. The version I have is under BY-NC-ND - i.e. noncommercial, no derivatives.
Do you have a link showing CC-BY-SA? That would be an excellent improvement.
Russell

Kahunapule Michael Johnson

Mar 12, 2015, 10:55:59 PM3/12/15
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
T4T is indeed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND license, with additional permission to change file formats (but not the text). You could contact the translators for additional permission if you need it.
Note that T4T Old Testament is still under construction. I update the copy on eBible.org from the translators' source periodically.

If you want something to make derivatives of, the World English Bible is at http://eBible.org/web/. Just change the name if you change the text to avoid confusion.
--

Aloha,
Kahunapule Michael Johnson

You may donate online at mpj.cx/give or
mark "
Fund Code #70" and mail to:

WORLD OUTREACH MINISTRIES
PO BOX B
MARIETTA GA 30061-0379
USA

770-424-1545

Home:

MICHAEL JOHNSON
1215 S KIHEI RD STE O-728
KIHEI HI 96753-5220
USA

+1
808-333-6921
Skype: kahunapule or +1 719 387 7238

Jeremiah Chung

Mar 17, 2015, 5:10:10 AM3/17/15
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

Thank you for the response. I found the work of "Universal Conceptual Cognitive Annotation"
 I will keep looking for the common Semantic Representation. I would appreciate if you can connect me with people or resources about that.

Thanks,
Jeremiah
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Open Scriptures" group.