Format for submission to YouVersion

Peter Passchier

Apr 2, 2018, 8:19:35 AM4/2/18
to Open Scriptures

I've offered to help submitting a 'new' Thai Bible translation to YouVersion. What is the format they require? I thought it might be USFM, but I was wondering if people here have experience with the process.

Thanks,
Peter

Michael Johnson

Apr 2, 2018, 10:44:36 PM4/2/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
YouVersion has an automated process to import USX files from a DBL bundle, which they normally get from the Every Tribe Every Nation Digital Bible Library. If you represent an organization that is an official Intellectual Property Card holder with the DBL (or your organization wishes to become one), you can go that way. Otherwise, you could submit USFM files to me for submission to the ETEN DBL and posting on eBible.org. Would you like help with this? If the Bible translation is a quality translation, meeting FOBAI standards, and if it is open access licensed (i.e. Creative Commons), then I'm happy to help.
--

Aloha,
Michael Johnson

PO BOX 881143 • PUKALANI HI 96788-1143
• USA
mljohnson.org • Phone: +1 808-333-6921 • Skype: kahunapule

Peter Passchier

Apr 3, 2018, 2:01:54 AM4/3/18
to Open Scriptures
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response. Jerry & Chareeraat Crow (YWAM) are the copyright holders. Isn't YWAM a key stakeholder in ETEN?
I am personally convinced this is a quality translation, portions of the New Testament have started to be published since 1996. It is called the NTTV (New Thai Translation Version). I don't know whether FOBAI standards are met. And I am afraid this might not be Creative Commons licenced...

But it seems like getting the source in USFM format would be a good step. I will first work on that.
Peter

Michael Johnson

Apr 3, 2018, 3:36:41 AM4/3/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
On 04/02/2018 08:01 PM, Peter Passchier wrote:
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.

You are welcome.

Jerry & Chareeraat Crow (YWAM) are the copyright holders. Isn't YWAM a key stakeholder in ETEN?

In terms of vision casting, perhaps, but not as an IPC or LCH, except indirectly, through my association with YWAM and my status as an IPC and LCH with eBible.org.

I am personally convinced this is a quality translation, portions of the New Testament have started to be published since 1996. It is called the NTTV (New Thai Translation Version). I don't know whether FOBAI standards are met.

It is likely that FOBAI standards are met, but that is worth verifying. Basically, it means that the translation has been checked by a qualified consultant. It is likely that such a person was actively involved in translation and/or checking.

And I am afraid this might not be Creative Commons licenced...

It would be worth asking about licensing issues, and if they are willing to open up to free digital distribution by others besides YouVersion. If so, then a Creative Commons license is a good way to that.

But it seems like getting the source in USFM format would be a good step. I will first work on that.

Yes, that is a good first step.

By the way, I was just in Thailand. I have another Thai translation on eBible.org, but would like to have another choice there for the Thai people.

Peter

On 04/02/2018 02:19 AM, Peter Passchier wrote:

I've offered to help submitting a 'new' Thai Bible translation to YouVersion. What is the format they require? I thought it might be USFM, but I was wondering if people here have experience with the process.

Thanks,
Peter

--

Aloha,
Michael Johnson

PO BOX 881143 • PUKALANI HI 96788-1143
• USA
mljohnson.org • Phone: +1 808-333-6921 • Skype: kahunapule

sceptreofjudah

Apr 3, 2018, 8:13:59 AM4/3/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
I don't have any information about the format requirements.

I am, however, interested in the new translation. My son, USMC Iraq vet, now has dual Thai/US citizenship, lives in Mae Rim, Chiangmai, has a thriving business (international clients as well as natives, including children), is active with Free Burma Rangers and the christian community there.

I am sure he and the christian staff would be quite interested in the translation.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Apr 3, 2018, 10:49:21 AM4/3/18
to Open Scriptures
Hi Darrell,

The NTV (ฉบับแปลใหม่) translation of the New Testament with Genesis, Proverbs and Psalms in hard-cover version can be ordered here:
https://eng.kanokbannasan.org/product/new-thai-version-of-the-holy-bible-purple-cover/
https://eng.kanokbannasan.org/product/new-thai-version-of-the-holy-bible-dark-blue-cover/
https://eng.kanokbannasan.org/product/new-thai-version-of-the-holy-bible-blue-cover/

I am personally very much looking forward to the whole Bible in this translation.
Blessings,
Peter

Peter Passchier

Apr 3, 2018, 11:12:15 AM4/3/18
to Open Scriptures
I have started asking the copyright holders.
Yes, Philip Pope is very nice about making his translation available for wider free use. I got his permission to use it in the OpenLP projection software project.

I have used the WEB for decades, and I love the fact that it is basically Free, like all scripture should be in my opinion. Thank you very much for all your work!
Blessings,
Peter