Adding new repos for KJV and Greek texts

Ben Dwyer

Sep 12, 2018, 3:45:40 PM9/12/18
to Open Scriptures
On javascripture.org I use open source versions of the KJV and Greek texts that I found online somewhere. I think it makes sense for us to add something like this to the open scriptures GitHub repo, so that it has a lot of good resources for people who want the raw data. I'm happy to take the lead on doing this, but before I do so, if there any reason it hasn't been done before?

erics...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2018, 5:58:01 PM11/20/18
to Open Scriptures
Hi Ben,

I'm doing something similar but for iOS/Android. Trying to make the most swift interlinear out there. I think the having the raw data out is great. By the way where did you get your greek and hebrew bible data from javacsripture? If you can get back to me that would be great? I've scoured the internet and so far you're the only one I found with data that has the whole bible Strongly tagged verse by verse!

ref...@gmx.net

Nov 21, 2018, 4:55:51 AM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Can I just say that using and propagating texts you 'found semester's isn't a great move. I am for last 15 years working with sourcing and incorporating bible texts into open source software. The amount of degradation and mess even a few careless transfers and transformations can cause is horrible. There are for many texts good standard places to look. CrossWire maintains the best KJV text out there, others here on openscriptures several Greek and Hebrew texts. All of these have been many times proofread and are actively maintained.

Peter

Sent from my mobile. Please forgive shortness, typos and weird autocorrects.

Ben Dwyer

Nov 21, 2018, 6:08:20 AM11/21/18
to Open Scriptures
I agree with Peter that we should try to reuse what is out there as much as possible. However there are some challenges to this. Firstly the format - XML is prevalent, but there's not much at all out there in JSON, which is much preferred when building a JavaScript app. Secondly, its hard to find a Greek text with strongs numbers. I believe mine is from here: https://sourceforge.net/p/zefania-sharp/activity/?page=0&limit=100#5af3128c3241d2372b662a85 or somewhere similar.

There is a project which enables us to convert crosswire modules to JSON (https://github.com/danday74/sword-to-json). However it doesn't work with strongs numbers. I have been working on a fork which will also handle strongs number, which I am happy to share with you if it's helpful.

I'm not sure what the best way is to proceed. Ideally (IMO) Crosswire would also host JSON versions of their texts, and have a Greek version available too. Maybe we can make this happen?

Robert Rouse

Nov 21, 2018, 10:36:08 AM11/21/18
to Open Scriptures
Tyndale recently released a lot of great data on GitHub: https://github.com/tyndale/STEPBible-Data. It has all the Greek & Hebrew tagged texts and looks decently easy to handle (though I agree we with other saying we should have a JSON source of things like this).

Tahor SuiJuris Ben

Nov 21, 2018, 10:39:21 AM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I want to be involved in this conversation.  Is there an online chat?

Tahor SuiJuris Ben Berith
Yadah Yasha Ahayah
h3034 h3467 h1961
A MANDATORY verbal "confession" in sequence Colossians 3:17 / John 14:6)
Proverbs 15:32
Acts 17:26, 27 / Judges 2:3, 22
 a TIME limit for all to SEEK
Deuteronomy 4:28, 29 / Isaiah 55:6, 7
Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Nov 21, 2018, 11:17:19 AM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
No online chat, but I guess we could start a slack?

Peter Passchier

Nov 21, 2018, 11:34:35 AM11/21/18
to Open Scriptures
Why have these most important recources not been shared in a more accessible way..? It seems Christians in the past have tended towards proprietary solutions and formats, which is very sad. Let this be the generation to change this all, and make the word and crucial tools and utilities accessible as openly and freely as possible, so collaboration and access gets easier and more abundant.

Blessings on you all,
Peter

Ben Dwyer

Nov 21, 2018, 12:11:49 PM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
The code for javascripture is open source, so anyone can access it here:

Tahor SuiJuris Ben

Nov 21, 2018, 12:52:52 PM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com, b...@scruffian.com
I need to create a database with both the original languages with English parallel including Strongs #.

I am very hopeful that the data resources may prove a solution.

Thank you Ben, shall view the github link you shared.

My question actually was about a central discussion area, would the Open Scriptures Google groups be an appropriate place to discuss the data?

[...]

Nov 21, 2018, 2:01:21 PM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest we use the existing Biblical Humanities Slack group because there are several people already there working on similar things.  There is an #openscriptures channel in that Slack group already.  Send me a direct email with your address if you would like to join.

Thank you,
Jesse Griffin

Eric S. Wong

Nov 21, 2018, 2:01:49 PM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
@Ben, Oh so I just took a look at the link you sent me and XML is definitely prevalent. I must've misread but you meant that we convert the XML to JSON. Yeah there's got to be a way!
--
-Eric Wong

Ben Dwyer

Nov 21, 2018, 2:11:48 PM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Yeah it's a good place

Darrell Smith

Nov 21, 2018, 2:34:18 PM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
I've pretty much retired from software engineering (i.e. I'm not doing it)  but it should be fairly straight forward to write a perl, php, or even lex/yacc filter to convert from xml to json. The structures are fairly limited sets, unlike the content. PHP has great libraries for dealing with XML (and that was years ago).
!

Peter Passchier

Nov 21, 2018, 2:48:19 PM11/21/18
to Open Scriptures
Loads of options for XML to JSON:

Blessings,
Peter

Eric S. Wong

Nov 21, 2018, 3:24:38 PM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys,

I was actually thinking of making a JSON straight from the texts but not from the XML. But then Ben's source file link has all these XML downloads of everything already available in XML! Looks like we got this covered!

Ben Dwyer

Nov 21, 2018, 3:36:41 PM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Eric the source I linked has them all in json

Eric S. Wong

Nov 21, 2018, 4:07:32 PM11/21/18
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
@Ben, oh I only took a look at this one you posted thus far: https://sourceforge.net/p/zefania-sharp/activity/?page=0&limit=100#53578e72e88f3d143096f6da. Will definitely take a look at the others.