Making the database backend more extensible

peterdan...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2014, 5:56:34 AM4/11/14
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Currently, any upgrades we wanted to make to the coding schema would likely break the tools we use to interact with the database.

David, Jesse, and I have had some conversations about how the database structure might be made more extensible without in any way impacting the current scripts.

I'm experimenting at the moment with the Morph parsing program, to see if I can adjust how it interacts with the database in this way. If we can pull this off, then morph and lemma codes will not be stored in a single column in the database, but each aspect of the code will be stored as a separate field. Adding fields will then become very easy.

There is no plan to change the actual parsing program itself. It would remain with the level of functionality it has, however, new fields could be added to the database and it wouldn't break it.

We would then have the option of either trying to upgrade the parsing program, or forking it to create an "advanced version" that allows us to add more information to individual words without affecting the functionality of the original.

This is all at the exploratory/dev stage, and I'm trying to develop a "proof of concept" for others to look at.

David Troidl

Apr 12, 2014, 9:52:11 AM4/12/14
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your perspective.  The searching concept makes a lot of sense.  I think in terms of XML and regex searching.  I still don't really have the database mindset.

David

ecto...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2014, 8:38:51 PM4/29/14
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
What databases have you experimented with?  Based on my initial browse of your project it seems like a NoSQL database, like MongoDB, would be a perfect fit if there is a desire to put a 'database' on the backend.  In any event, my background is databases so if there is anything I can do to contribute to your project let me know.

David Troidl

May 1, 2014, 8:22:28 AM5/1/14
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the offer.  We don't really have a lead developer at the moment, so questions like this aren't under anyone's job description, per se.

David