Does anyone know where to get free BHS APIs?

4nepal...@gmail.com

May 29, 2017, 10:46:28 AM5/29/17
to Open Scriptures
I want to make a website for Russian audience, so that they would be able to:

1) look up Psalms in Hebrew (BHS+), Russian and English.
2) to look up what topics in a given Psalm and
3) look up some commentaries.

I thought that I need some open source APIs for that. I even registered on bibles.org, but after that I saw that they don't have BHS (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia) APIs. Does anyone know the solution? Thank you.

Aaron Laws

May 29, 2017, 7:27:09 PM5/29/17
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure how best to help you, and I'm quite sure I'm not the right guy for the job. I know of a repository, however, that I would like to recommend: https://github.com/openscriptures/HebrewLexicon. It contains a BDB in XML markup. It has reached some major milestone of completion, and may be helpful to you. (I'm thinking about BrownDriverBriggs.xml.)

In Christ,
Aaron Laws

john

May 29, 2017, 10:38:33 PM5/29/17
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
See if this meets your needs. https://github.com/eliranwong

Monday, May 29, 2017 18:26
I want to make a website for Russian audience, so that they would be able to:

I thought that I need some open source APIs for that. I even registered on bibles.org, but after that I saw that they don't have BHS (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia) APIs. Does anyone know the solution? Thank you.

I'm not sure how best to help you, and I'm quite sure I'm not the right guy for the job. I know of a repository, however, that I would like to recommend: https://github.com/openscriptures/HebrewLexicon. It contains a BDB in XML markup. It has reached some major milestone of completion, and may be helpful to you. (I'm thinking about BrownDriverBriggs.xml.)

In Christ,
Aaron Laws
Monday, May 29, 2017 09:16
I want to make a website for Russian audience, so that they would be able to:

I thought that I need some open source APIs for that. I even registered on bibles.org, but after that I saw that they don't have BHS (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia) APIs. Does anyone know the solution? Thank you.

john

May 29, 2017, 10:38:33 PM5/29/17
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
If the previous link that I sent does not help, here is his email address. He is very helpful and does work with the BHS.

john
Monday, May 29, 2017 18:26
[...]

Aaron Laws

May 30, 2017, 2:32:31 AM5/30/17
On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 8:52 PM, john <nxxt...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

My mistake. I had read BDB rather than BHS. Sorry for any confusion.

In Christ,
Aaron Laws

Aleksej Kolesnikov

Jun 2, 2017, 11:34:22 AM6/2/17
to Open Scriptures
Thank you Aaron. That is great. If also I could find a tutorial on how to insert any Bible related API link into HTML page, that would be great.
Blessings to you,
a.

James Cuénod

Jun 2, 2017, 1:42:55 PM6/2/17
to Open Scriptures
Have you managed to figure this out?
I'd be willing to help you as well (although I second Eliran's helpfulness)

Alex

Jun 7, 2017, 5:17:19 PM6/7/17
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aaron,
I went to GitHub and copied Eliran's

bhs_api_doc

But I do not know how to write an email to him and ask him about it. I never put a single API inside HTML. Do you know where can I get some guidance on that?
Cheers,
Alex

Aaron Laws

Jun 8, 2017, 9:01:55 PM6/8/17
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
I am not the right person to ask :-) I took a look at that repo and I have no idea what's going on. James?

I would be happy to help you, but not with this. I am a software developer, so let me know if you have a quite specific question, and I may be able to help.

In Christ,
Aaron Laws

On Monday, 29 May 2017 16:46:28 UTC+2, Aleksej Kolesnikov wrote:
I want to make a website for Russian audience, so that they would be able to:

1) look up Psalms in Hebrew (BHS+), Russian and English.
2) to look up what topics in a given Psalm and
3) look up some commentaries.

I thought that I need some open source APIs for that. I even registered on bibles.org, but after that I saw that they don't have BHS (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia) APIs. Does anyone know the solution? Thank you.

James Cuénod

Jun 9, 2017, 9:47:10 AM6/9/17
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
That's not the repo to be looking at. On first glance it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the hebrew bible...
This is not a link to an api but Eliran Wong has a repository with BHS data in sqlite and csv files: https://github.com/eliranwong/ETCBC-recycle
CSV/Sqlite should make it pretty accessible if you're not too confident programming.
At this point Alex, I would recommend that you try to learn javascript - accessing apis can't be done with HTML. It's a long road ahead to learn javascript and interact with an api if you're coming from just knowing html. There's a ton of resources online though (just google "getting started with javascript") so if you're patient you can definitely do it! (I did)

In Christ,
James

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 at 03:01 Aaron Laws <dart...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Teus Benschop

Jun 10, 2017, 4:05:49 AM6/10/17
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
There is also https://shebanq.ancient-data.org/, which I think is the original source of the ETCBC data. There's also https://www.godgeleerdheid.vu.nl/en/research/institutes-and-centres/eep-talstra-centre-for-bible-and-computer/index.aspx, which is the department of the university maintaining this Hebrew data.

Alex

Jun 10, 2017, 9:00:16 AM6/10/17
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone, greatly appreciate your help.
Alex